Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best way to install an upright post in a yet built paved patio
  • rockhopper70

We are looking to install a paved patio in a currently unused area of grassed garden.

Research suggests digging down to allow for 4″ compacted MOT type 1, then 25mm slab layer plus thickness of the pavers, all very straightforward.

However, we also want a pergola so need four upright posts. The “easy” way would be to simply dig holes for these first, drop them in, square them up then post-crete into place and then start the above steps around them. However, I’d rather the posts were out of the ground for lifespan. Plan F (i’ve gone through lots of thoughts!)….Dig post footings in the area the post are going to go. Fill with concrete and insert a cast in-situ support to the correct height, just above paver level, something like this.

https://www.toolstation.com/concrete-in-sleeper-base-anchor-bracket/p75498?store=CH&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8qrZps6U8AIVz-7tCh065g8jEAQYBiABEgKWGfD_BwE

Problem here is that the pavers will need cutting around this so might need a sizeable hole. I cant make the upright point at a junction, it will be mid paver. Also, what depth should the support footing be to, in line with the MOT level or the slab layer level, or the paver level?

Another option is to do all of the above, but rather than insert the support, just cast in a cardboard or timber dowel to form the hole, withdrawn it once the concrete sets, install the pavers, cut a neat small hole in the paver corresponding to this formed existing hole in the footing position, then insert the support, using resin fixing or similar.

Or just install the patio, then drill and plug base plates on the finished patio. Which seems a bit rough, when I could get a decent mount sorted during the build….

I might be overthinking this but likewise only want to do this once. Any thoughts?

rockhopper70

Test test, cant see this appears in the chat forum…?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There was already a pergola and grapevine in our garden when we moved in, we had a patio built arround it.

No idea how old it is but it’s not rotten yet.

If it ever does rot in a decade or two I’ll either just dig out the rotten stumps of it and replace it, or fill them with gravel and hide with a plant pot.

The flags are just cut ~20mm arround the posts and grouted in.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Pour a footing for each post the same size as a paver. Top it with a paver. Drill through the paver and footing and set the saddle in place with epoxy. You would want one of the U shaped saddles though not an L shape like your link.

duncancallum

Sink a plastic bucket in and drop the post into that

Concrete the post n bucket

TheDTs
    Free Member

That looks like mild steel with a coating, it will rust and look unsightly.
    You can get some nice looking galvanised ones which fix into a slot in the wood.

I would put a slab down where the posts need to be, pave and then fix the base plates. It gives you greater flexibility where they go.

spooky_b329

I’d sink some galvanised steel angle into the paving, then you can through bolt your new posts from two sides. The posts could be weight bearing or slightly off the ground to protect them from rot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best way to install an upright post in a yet built paved patio’ is closed to new replies.