Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best way to check out your health before training
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m getting into some proper structured training and am pushing my heart rate upto 170bpm which is getting pretty close to my theoretical max heart rate based on the 220-age rule. I feel fine and will only be up at those levels for a short time every so often, but will often get to about 160 to 165 bpm for a few minutes at a time during a spin class. Again, feel fine and recover well, so not overly concerned, but I wouldn’t mind getting myself checked out to make sure I’m not pushing myself too hard too often. A fellow spin class buddy who is both younger and fitter than me recently had a heart attack out of the blue after a week’s cycling holiday. He’s not sure what caused it yet, but that has got me thinking.

What kind of health test would I want to establish this and has anyone had one before?

scud
    Free Member

I think the 220- minus your age is a very rough estimate, and max heart rate can depend on a lot of factors and will change as you get fitter.

I would invest in  decent heart rate monitor to start with an actually calculate your real base heart rate (taken first thing in the morning whilst still in bed, and done over a few mornings to get a true average), then calculate your true maximum, i was always told to calculate it by:

– 10 minutes warm-up

– the 5 minutes as hard as you can manage.

– then 5 minutes back down to Zone 1

– then go as hard as you can for 20 minutes really trying to go flat out.

Somewhere in that 20 minutes if you’re going hard enough, you should reach your max heart rate

From that you should be able to calculate your training zones.

If you have concerns, then it would be worth addressing them with GP. But heart rate monitor is good for looking whether you are over doing it, if you are and not recovered well enough , then your heart rate tends to sit too high when you test it first thing in the morning

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depending on your age a trip to the GP for a check up I know they are doing some stuff for older (not implying anything!!) blokes

steve_b77
    Free Member

Do a ‘cross race, you’ll hit max HR and if you want to do it again the week after you’re fit enough to start your training plan*

rydster
    Free Member

Trying to hit your max HR during training won’t make you fast. You need to build a big base first and threshold training is more useful after that.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I regularly hit 195 BPM on my bike when pushing hard. I’m 52 this week so the guestimate must be wrong for me.

scaled
    Free Member

220-age is a load of old crock.

At least I hope it is as my max is 204 and i’m a fair bit older than 16! If you’re worried though, go and get yourself checked out. We get an annual health check with our work health insurance and for an extra £30 or so can get a whole raft of fitness tests added to it. without the health insurance I think similar tests are about £200 with BUPA

Just checked, they’re £850!!!!!How much do you care?

mercuryrev

I would guess that an ECG test would give you some kind of indication. I live in France and to do ANY form of organised exercise you have to produce a certificate from your doctor. Being 58 and wanting to do some organised rides my doc’s eyes lit up and out came the ECG machine…..

Not sure how easy it is to get a test in the UK however.

DickBarton

20 years ago, I’d regular sit at 217bpm…would be ‘fine’ until I stopped and I’d be feeling seriously ill for about 5 minutes after. 10 years ago it’d be 196bpm and now it is 185bpm…I’m hoping as my fitness improves it could get to 190bpm again so I know I have a fraction more in the tank.

All this means nothing though as I don’t compete and willingly let people pass me, so it is just to sort my head out!

bob_summers

I’ve had ECGs to get onto French events, not sure how useful lying in a doctor’s surgery covered in sensors is when preparing for a 8hr slog over 4 Pyrenees.

Whereas for my Spanish competition license, I had to do a ramp test etc which is slightly more realistic.

Everone is different though.  In the lab doing the latter, my HRmax wouldn’t go over 185.  First race of the season (Crit), my HRavg was almost that over 30 or 40 mins, and maxed at about 195.  I’ve done ramp tests both running and cycling, and never get the same max as in competition.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cheers all. I’m not actually trying to hit my max rate, just the opposite – trying to make sure I don’t overcook it. My training plan is for an endurance event next year so need to do alot of long less intensive training rather than spin classes – but I do enjoy my lunchtime spin classes. The event involves alot of climbing….more than I’ve ever done before in one go and upto altitude, so for me the challenge is getting through it rather than aiming for any impressive performance target.

If the 220-age thing is anything like the BMI test then it clearly is irrelevant for alot of people.

sparksmcguff

Not an answer to your question but Mitchelton Scott put out Yates’ max heartrate for the vuelta – think it was 201 for 2 seconds.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simon-yates-maximum-heart-rate-at-vuelta-a-espana-revealed/

A totally useless bit of info. But interesting as an indicator of just how amazing the human body is and what it can be trained to do.

legend
    Free Member

trying to make sure I don’t overcook it

Your rev limiter will kick in before your engine blows – usually

Garry_Lager

I’ve been getting a low level chest pain, left side, after cross racing this season, so interesting thread for me. Booked a Drs appointment although breathing / pulse all seem normal – a CX race is such a savage effort that it’s hard to know what normal should feel like afterwards. Perhaps your chest can just get a bit knackered, muscularly speaking?

I’m miles heftier then the guys I race against which makes me a bit cautious about it all – I lap the fat lads at the back and they get confused, seeing one of their brethren a lap up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best way to check out your health before training’ is closed to new replies.