Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best way of encouraging oil based paints (undercoat) to dry.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Up in the new summer house, on osb ply. I undercoated all the ply yesterday afternoon with a thinned down oil based undercoat, it’s still very tacky as of now. I’ve got two options, air as in doors open to the outside, or heat as in doors shut with a blower on. Not sure which will be most successful to be fair, any thoughts?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Heat with doors open.
    🙂

falkirk-mark

Heat but not too much as some paints might not go off if its too cold

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lambchop
    Free Member

Thinned with white spirit? If so that’s your problem. It’ll dry eventually but warmth and air flow will help.

jonba
    Free Member

You need warmth and a bit of air flow. You don’t need to open all the doors and windowns in your house when you paint so don’t go nuts.

Have you looked on the side of the tin/internet. Does it give recommended temperatures? Anything below 10°C and I’d normally not paint as you start to hit problems.

paton
    Free Member

Infra red paint dryer

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you tried rubbing it with a towel?

It seems to work on the dog.

timbog160

You painted the dog??!!

Drac

Interpretive dance.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You painted the dog??!!

Of course… you’re supposed to use a brush regularly to give them a glossy coat.

Richie_B

Interpretive dance.

The body control required to interpret paint drying would be impressive.

On the main question if weather round you is anything like the murkiness we’ve had for the last month or so keep the doors shut it will just add to the humidity. If you can warm the place up with something that won’t in itself produce water vapour that will help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best way of encouraging oil based paints (undercoat) to dry.’ is closed to new replies.