Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best way back to Hope Cross from Ladybower
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Longstanding question, that I’m sure loads of the locals have had, and resolved….

Once you’ve gone down The Beast or Potato Alley, what’s the best rideable ascent back up to Hope Cross, [ and secondly Whinhill] that doesn’t involve loads of pushing or going round past the dam, through Thornhill, Aston and up one of those two slanty bridleways( Roman Road & ANOther)

Strava has a segment called Ascent through Narnia, which looks perfect for Beast back up to Hope Cross, but can’t see an obvious rideable option up the eastern end of the massif.

Any ideas?

thepodge
    Free Member

There’s a new climb through Elm pits which is perfect for you.

tuboflard

Is that the one east of Wooler Knoll @thepodge? If so then agree, nice and rideable all the way from the valley.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. This being England, the only results Google brings up are completely unrelated bollocks in london. None of which are even called Elm Pits.

Gimmee a clue.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

East of Wooler Knoll….
    ‘zat this one:
    https://strava.app.link/8RwbwqcVbeb
    Named “All the way to the top” which sounds somehow promising.

thepodge
    Free Member

Elmin Pits Farm

http://peakdistrictmtb.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Elmin-Pits-Farm-Map-Planned-1.png

dannyh
    Free Member

Elmin Pits or Shit-Bastard are fully rideable even for someone of moderate fitness and ability like me. They are ‘cheap’ climbs in that you gain a lot of height quite quickly.

ebennett

I usually go up Shit-Bastard climb (the “All the way to the top” one you linked above OP), I’ll need to give Elmin Pits a try next time I’m up there as I’ve never tried that one.

Pook

It’s got a gate at the top now too.

Superficial
    Free Member

I didn’t know the name for these but ‘SB’ is what I’ve used for years. Elmin Pits is a bit harder work at the start then becomes a pretty gentle spin up to the top. Both are definitely rideable.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Wowza. Many thanks, for the link, but mostly for the excellent work opening that up.

I notice mention of the Cutthroat Bridge path work done previously. What’s your view on that one ? ( I find the lower track a disappointment as it is just, wide, smooth lots of water ditches and a few badly placed boulders). But I’m painfully aware that I didn’t put hours and days of effort into building it so am not in a position to comment. Am intrigued as I didn’t know MTBers where involved in the build.

PS. What’s the best mellow jumpy descent back down from Wooler Knoll/ Whinhill?

Garry_Lager

Parkin clough has its advocates. Busy walker path though if you were planning tomorrow.

There are quite a few lines laid down on the reservoir side of Wooler knoll / Win Hill that you can explore.

tuboflard

I wouldn’t exactly describe Parkin Clough as mellow, well at least not if you ride the main footpath down. And as you say, I’d avoid this weekend for sure as it’ll be mobbed. Some of the lines to the left (north) of Parkin Clough are easier though.

Pook

On WLT we did the line which picks up where the bottom wide track ends and goes all the way up. It’s a victim of it’s own success, as being so subtle on the hill, people don’t spot it and still ride the peaty stuff, missing out little drops, berms and flowy stuff.

thepodge
    Free Member

If you rode Cut Throat from the bottom it was an absolute mess, it was also drifting away from the original right of way line. If you rode Cut Throat from the top you probably wouldn’t have noticed how ill-defined it was. It was never particularly technical and is still not particularly technical but it is now better for most users most of the time.

Anyone who says they have ridden Parkin Clough is probably talking out of their backside.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Parkin Clough…. You people are insane. I ended up HaBing up there [twice] when I took the wrong turn at the dam looking for Thornhill track. It’s insane.
    Do people really ride down right next to Parkin Clough? it’s not even a walk up, it’s a bloody scramble…

Chuffin heck. I’m rubbisher than I thought.

tuboflard

Anyone who says they have ridden Parkin Clough is probably talking out of their backside.

Yep I’d agree on that. Never even tried. Run up and down it a lot and never felt the need to take a bike on it. Not least as it almost always has lots of people on it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Elmin Pits will take you direct to Hope Cross, although the last couple of times I’ve used it, it was getting pretty claggy in the middle so possibly worth avoiding until it dries out.

SBC takes you a good chunk above Hope Cross, but is basically weatherproof.

Or if you like a tech climbing challenge, the Beast is tantalisingly close to being climbable – I’d imagine an ebike would p!ss up it (but would be cheating).

I’ve cleaned it top to bottom a total of 4 times (and a 5th where I ended up upside down in the stream a long way below the trail). That was on 26″ wheels – I’ve not tried it all on my current big bike, although I do the top and bottom sections fairly often. Its not “fun” unless you adore scary tech riding, but it does give you a testpiece of where your riding skills are at that point in time. The kind of thing to do once or twice a year.
    The caveat to that is you need A) to do it midweek AND out of hours when it’s deserted – as control in places is borderline and “just stopping” to avoid other users is not going to happen B) you need to do it when it is ABSOLUTELY bone dry – you need absolute precision placement on the roots and rocks, and that just won’t happen if there’s any moisture around.

tinytim

Definitely don’t ride Parkin Cloughat the weekend and take a very careful look at it before riding.
    It is rideable if you’re very talented/ brave but the potential for harming yourself is high

C.O.I: Hathersage local and orthopaedic surgeon(!)

edward2000
    Free Member

I’ve often thought about giving Parkin Clough a go but the massive ditch on the right hand side significantly increases the risk factor, so I don’t think it’s worth it.

msjhes2
    Free Member

Elm pits (Narnia) used to be ace (last 10 years or so), always looked really muddy at the start but was surprisingly rideable and as soon as you got to the trees (watch for camping scallies) it was a lovely dry pine needle ascent. Since the improvement work all the pine needles have been churned away and now it is muddy all the way up!

Not sure why, probably just more traffic because it looks more inviting at the start.

However both elm and SB are easily rideable and the sensible route back from the beast or hagg.

Superficial
    Free Member

Or if you like a tech climbing challenge, the Beast is tantalisingly close to being climbable

Yeah, I’ve done it piecemeal but that doesn’t count. I’d always thought I’d get the whole thing ‘one day’ but never have and now I’m just getting older and slower! It requires the combination of a lot of trialsy skill but probably more importantly really good stamina. Kudos to anyone that’s done it.

And also to anyone that’s ridden (all of) Parkin Clough. I’ve never had the balls to do the drop by the tree. On a nice summer evening with someone to egg me on I reckon it’s doable…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

BOOM.

Many thanks all.
    In the unlikely event that I actually get fit again then that route will come in handy.

Cheers

Pook

Ah nice one. We thought it was ideal cos of how linking it is. You can now have a really nice short ride starting on the Snake head up sb climb,  down Beast, up Elmin Pitta, down spud alley, up Rowlee Farm, down Hagg.

Perfect evening loop

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve often thought about giving Parkin Clough a go but the massive ditch on the right hand side significantly increases the risk factor, so I don’t think it’s worth it.

Today I found myself literally hanging free from a lovely little tree half way down PC. I’d lost the will to live blundering around alone in Winn Hill forest and decided that kill or cure was the best approach so headed down Parkin.

I think I clipped a tree with the bar. Either way the bike fell rightwards and I did too. Thank the lord there was a squinty birch tree or something just above me which I managed to grab.

I also portaged a section of about 20m, but was generally surprised how much of it went.
    ( setting aside the aforementioned NDE of course) 🥵

I reckon it just needs the application of further funds…. namely a dropper post that doesn’t stick out 5″ in its lowest poistion

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.