• This topic has 48 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by tonyd.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Best waterbottle with mud/grit protection?
  • BadlyWiredDog

Looking for a decent, mountain bike-friendly, water bottle with a cover over the bite valve to protect against contamination from trail mud, grit, cow muck etc.

I see Elite does a lightweight one – not sure about that for mountain biking, also Nukeproof. Any thoughts, recommendations welcome.

Thanks!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Camelbak podium dirt.

jimdubleyou

The camelback podium dirt one is ok. You still need to squeeze until your mouth once you’ve popped the cap off.

Tried something like the elite ones (forget the brand), and muck just gets under the cap as it’s not that close fitting, .

supernova

I use Elite Fly Mtb. Does the job, all good.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Camelbak podium dirt

or make the switch to Fidlock

Yak

The elite fly/ nukeproof bottle (same thing) is rubbish. As in lasts a handful of rides then it’s broken and in the bin. For the brief lifespan before getting binned, it offer minimal mud protection. The mud still ends up going under the cap, almost sucked under there somehow via pressure difference as a special design feature.

For the same effect, just get a regular bottle, drop it in a muddy puddle, then go for a ride.

funkybaj
    Free Member

I use the Decathlon ones with a flip lid, does a decent enough job of keeping the crap off. Cheap and available in different sizes too.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/sport-bottle-650-ml/_/R-p-325078?mc=8585256&c=BLACK

singlespeedstu

Fidlock user here.

lesshaste

I bought the big elite fly mtb a couple of years or so ago. I was a bit dismayed when it turned up as the body of the bottle was very lightweight and I thought it would just abrade itself to the point where it wouldn’t hold water anymore.
    Anyway, I still use it every ride(couple or 3 times a week), it looks a bit rough but works fine. Haven’t had Yak’s experience with the spout cap, its been fine.
    Just light XC, no gnarr if that makes any difference

tjagain

Where is @scotroutes with his patented pooguard?

ready

+1 for the Fidlock

peteimpreza

“I see Elite does a lightweight one – not sure about that for mountain biking”

The MTB version of the Fly works just fine for me.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Either fidlock or the podium dirt cap which if you have multiple camelbak bottle you can switch and swap the lids depending on the size etc drink you want, short ride the small bottle, hot ride then the chill bottle so it stays cool for longer.

jimdubleyou

What fidlock bottle are you guys talking about?

I’ve got a fancy fidlock bottle that came as an expensive upgrade to my YT, but it doesn’t have any special mud protection, just a magnetic latch (which is admittedly nice).

frogstomp

What fidlock bottle are you guys talking about?

Link.

bruneep

Fidlock as above

jimdubleyou

Ah, that does look like a good cap 🙂

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

I use the Decathlon ones with a flip lid, does a decent enough job of keeping the crap off. Cheap and available in different sizes too.

I’m a happy decathlon bottle user too.

frogstomp

Ah, that does look like a good cap

It works well to keep the crud out but is maybe a little bit brittle (mine has cracked).

nickjb
    Free Member

Another happy decathlon user. Had mine a good few years. It does feel a bit flimsy but it has lasted well.

honourablegeorge

I had the nukeproof one, worked well, but very fragile cap

Fidlock one doesn’t seem solid, but has lasted better

I like the Camelbak Podum best, I think.

ahsat

@golfchick Does that podium mud cap fit on some of the older podium models too? We have a cupboard full of them and that would be ideal if it does?

mashr

I see Elite does a lightweight one – not sure about that for mountain biking, also Nukeproof

The Nukeproof one is actually an Elite Fly – even says Elite on the bottom. Oddly usually more expensive though

GolfChick
    Free Member

@ahsat just move the whole lid/cap on to the different bottles, the threads are the same! That’s what i do with all of my bottles.

ahsat

Ahha – good thinking! Ok awesome, thanks. Will order a couple from Wiggle and see how they go (don’t need whole new bottles!)

tall_martin

I have had the bike proof one for a year.

The top broke after an month which was disappointing. I have the top held onto the bottle with some fishing line through holes drilled where the cap use to be attached.

Every time I’ve been to decathlon to buy their version, they’ve been sold out.

BadlyWiredDog

Ta for all the input. I’ve never been a huge Podium fan. I found the valves on the earlier ones a pig to clean properly, though I understand that the design has changed. I think I’ll maybe spring for an updated cap and protector thing and see how that goes.

The Fidlock stuff looks interesting, but not ideal if you want to use the same bottles across more than one bike, at which point it’s looking expensive / fiddly.

whyter

I bought some isostar ones which have a cap on them from Amazon
    like this one

zerocool

I’ve got the Fidlock one and it’s nice to use. Haven’t lost it yet when rattling down stuff on the hardtail. I’d buy again in an instant.

jeff

I find these quite good, but I have a feeling they might be discontinued.

https://www.shopelite-it.com/en/spare-parts-bottles-and-bottlecages/bottles-spare-parts/cover-cap-for-corsa-bottle

MoreCashThanDash

Just bought a Nukeproof one from Wiggle

bikesandboots

Podium Dirt isn’t available in clear (and only in 620ml), so you can’t see how much drink you have left. Buy a clear one and the cap separately.

If you’re anticipating getting the bottle plastered though (or risk of animal crap), Dawn To Dusk Dirt Mask (fits the newer type Podiums):

mask

appltn

You can buy a podium mud cap for £5 and put it on any podium bottle. That way you can get the higher capacity one in a clear colour.

👉Amazon link👈

FOG

Tried a couple of Podiums but the cap fell off both of them so moved to Fidlock which I am very happy with.

BadlyWiredDog

I bought a Podium, terrible fit in my Bontrager bottle cages – it’s not going to stay in off road, who the hell thought that was a good shape? – have swapped the lid onto an older clear Podium bottle which is a more secure fit. I might glue the mud-cap anchoring ring in place for added security.

mashr

BadlyWiredDog

I bought a Podium, terrible fit in my Bontrager bottle cages – it’s not going to stay in off road, who the hell thought that was a good shape?

I’ve never got as far as off road, mine have threatened to abondon ship (using standard Elite cages) on the road bike! Think the latest shape might be better? Not going to bother trying though

ahsat

Have never lost a podium bottle off-road yet (only time we’ve lost them is once off p20s road bike with the original styled Rapha ones). Fit is particularly good in King cages.

Got the podium caps this week. Not the prettiest thing a black cap on a blue bottle; but so far fine on my canal commute. Will try on the mtb at the weekend.

hooli

The Decathlon ones linked above work well enough for me.

oreetmon
    Free Member

The decathlon lids eventually fail but recently seen that the dirt caps cap be bought separately from the store, £1.50ish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Best waterbottle with mud/grit protection?’ is closed to new replies.