Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Best Water Craft for Canal Pootling
  • funkmasterp

I live very close to my local canal and spend a lot of time walking or cycling on the towpath. This got me thinking about actually spending some time on the water. Thought it might be a great way to spend time with my son (five) and also get in shape.

I’m assuming some sort of license is needed for this? Also wondering what the best, reasonably priced craft would be for a beginner. Something that could carry a couple of people and a bit of food?

Any input or advice appreciated

ads678

We’ve been on our local canal on an inflatable canoe. No one asked us for a licence….

piemonster

What’s your storage and transportation options? Do you have space for an ruddy great canoe or is space tight?

For canal pootling I’d ideally want a proper Open Canoe as they’re lovely.

Might not be a practical or cost effective option.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nautique G25

nbt

Open canoe, preferably rigid – we tried one of the chap inflatables and it was horrible. Currently saving (trying to sell our MTB Tandem) to pay for an Old Town Discovery or similar

kilo

Something with a motor, just done the rya two day into to power boats course, would like a boat but it can be an expensive hobby

keithb

In terms of licence it depends upon who the navigation authority is.  If it’s s canal and river trust waterway, then you either need your own licence for an unpowered craft, or membership of British canoeing (iirc) or other affiliated group to cover you.

Hope it’s got a nice long pound to paddle along, portaging round s lock every half a mile, and mixing with 40ton boats with the person steering 60ft from the pointy end, and with limited visibility due to front cabin/stuff on roof/short sightedness/innebriation wouldn’t be my idea of a good time with a 5 year old.

Would be interested to know if it is s canal and river trust waterway, given you don’t seem to know who manages it yet live very close.

If it’s not crt, it could be environment agency, an independent organisation or local authority.

scotroutes

If it’s Scotland then the Land Reform Act provides for access without license.

funkmasterp

Thanks guys. It’s canal and river trust as far as I’m aware and about one minutes walk from my house. Macclesfield to Marple canal and there’s not a single Lock on the entire stretch. Pretty much as flat as a pancake and great sight lines. I’ve not been far in the other direction (Congleton) so not sure on the lock front that way.

Just fancy giving it a go, probably solo at first, with an eye to taking my son along if he likes it. Wouldn’t want a motor. No fun or exercise in that idea. Talking cheap as reasonably possible to start with.

Have a garden do could easily drop a canoe in it or attach to a wall.

dissonance

Sign up with BCU and you should be covered plus they have finally got their arse into gear about fighting for access so deserve some cash.
    An inflatable is probably the best bet. Something from decathlon or similar. Easily stored and transportable and affordable vs a proper canoe and its limitations wont be overly noticable on that sort of water.
    Its a horses for courses thing though. I take my dad out in his two man inflatable canoe occasionally and it does compare badly to my own kayak.

Stainypants

Don’t know much about canoeing but Macc canoe club do taster sessions from Bollington and there were few sessions over the summer hols at Rudyard. Might be worth getting in touch with them for some local advice

http://www.madcc.btck.co.uk/

MrPottatoHead

Could get a second hand inflatable SUP. Probably the easiest to store and get on the water quickly and can be very relaxing. It’s a different prospect to boats or canoe though but might be all you need.

I’ve had a go with my 6yr old on it with me and was fine once he’d stopped using it as a mobile diving platform!

convert

Sups are great – have two including a 14′ rigid one that would be lovely there. On my own. As a form of exercise.

In your situation an open canoe would be what I would go for of the rigid flavour. I’d go for the smallest a lad and dad combo could fit it when he is 10/11 partly for storage and partly to make it more fun on your own solo (which you will effectively be at the moment but with wriggling cargo). Something 14-15′ would be good.

funkmasterp

Thanks all. I’ll get in touch with Macc canoe club and take it from there. Might not come to anything, but like the idea of giving it a go.

grahamt1980

Having paddled canoes, kayaks and now sups. I would say for canals the sup wins. It’s more of a work out, plus by standing up you can see over the top of the banks and look around rather than being at water level.

funkmasterp

I’m assuming not great for including the family though?

grahamt1980

Pretty good actually. I did buy a more stable one to take my 4 yr old out. He loves it and I can happily paddle standing up with him moving about on it

db

Buy my Hou 14 canoe! Just about to tidy it up and sell it as I have a new boat making its way from Canada.

It’s red (which everyone knows is faster than green boats) and has wood rather than plastic trim. The wood work needs a rub down and some oil and the hull has a few scratches but nothing through the outer layer. Will come with a couple of airbags, sailing and kneeling thwart. Thinking about 750ish… collected from Burton or we could work out something for delivery.

Brilliant boat for canals, rivers and calmer water. Not so good in white water due to low freeboard. I paddle solo most of the time but it will take two adults if needed.

Only thing against it for you is the wood trim won’t like living outside. If you are keeping the boat outside I would honestly go for a plastic gunnel and not buy this one.

funkmasterp

Pretty good actually. I did buy a more stable one to take my 4 yr old out. He loves it and I can happily paddle standing up with him moving about on it

Thanks graham, good to know.

Thanks for the offer db, but that’s quite a lot of money. Thinking of buying cheap to start, see if I take to it or not.

regenesis
    Free Member

I have a brand new Seago Ranger 260 thats coming up for sale.
    Never been in the water, just inflated once to check how it went up, etc.
    Could arrange something to get it up to you.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have a brand new Seago Ranger 260 thats coming up for sale.

That’s exactly the sort of SIB I was going to suggest. You can have a lot of fun with that. Stick an outboard on it and you have some fun in the sea as well.

spooky_b329

My vote goes to a DIY pedalo, a good one that converts a decent amount of pedalling effort into forward motion unlike the plastic swans in the local lake 🙂

Edit: Could do a E-Bike conversion for extra giggles 🙂 A little catamaran with a tramp between the hulls would make it nice to lounge about on

darkplunger
    Free Member

Have a Google at this “GoSea Glide Large Single Adult + Child 10ft Kayak” This should seek to fit your requirements. I paddled one with my daughter in an estuary and we found it you be very stable and enjoyable.

funkmasterp

Thanks darkplunger that looks ideal.

ampthill

A few thoughts

Sit on kayaks and canoes are great. But heavy. You’ll need wheels i would have thought

Inflatable kayaks are lightrt and a probably a bit slower. Check reviews for drying. Some cloth over plastic kayaks are a PITA to dry.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If you can find one, the Aldi two person inflatable kayak is down to £20 instead of £40.
    I was out in mine with the girlfriend yesterday. Pretty well designed, easy to handle/set up (with a pump). Packs away pretty small and is light enough to carry around.
    Perfectly fine for a canal – we were out in the Firth of Forth. Was a bit too choppy for it, but there was quite a bit of wind/swell, so probably needs a calmer day. Can’t think you’d need anything more for a canal.
    You only get 1 paddle with it, but another £40 or so at Decathalon will get you two lifejackets and another paddle.

Vader
    Free Member

For a canal an SUP is a great idea as you will be able to see over the banks. However if you want to go further afield i’d be looking at a touring K2 (two seat) kayak, pretty light and effortless to paddle. It will seat 2 people and have a bit of space for extra kit (potential overnighting). It will be nice and light too, although you will need a car to carry it. Older ones are cheap as, and being STW you could also throw a fortune at a full carbon vacuum bagged composite lovely. You could also get a K1 but only one seat on those.
    Much as open canoes are ace, unless you spend a heap you will soon tire of the weight when lugging about. There’s also the locals to think about, obviously. And whether you’ll look good in a sharkskin neoprene gilet.

Best advice really is to join a club, you get to try out different boats and normally rent kit til you know what you like. Before you know it you’ll be signed up for the Devizes-Westminster…

kittyr
    Free Member

I gotthis for £120 a couple of years ago and has done us proud for all sorts of flat water adventures. Seems to be more expensive now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intex-Explorer-Two-Person-Kayak-Oars/dp/B00AIQ8LGG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=intex+canoe&qid=1568656720&s=sports&sr=1-1-catcorr

Honestly I have been so impressed with how well it inflates, it handles pretty good considering it is an inflatable and its easy enough to deflate and fold away into the bag. Only negative is the front person can catch their thumbs on a sharp seam so I wear a pair of biking gloves.

Have been on tidal waters, canals an rivers.

You are meant to have a water way license for canals (which I do through British Canoeing) but have never been asked for it.

funkmasterp

Thanks again everyone. I’ve emailed the local canoe club and have lots of suggestions to research. Going to go see my neighbours up the road and attempt to sweet talk them. Their garden backs on to the canal so I’ll see if they’re open to letting me use it for access.

footflaps

I always wanted one of these..

taxi25
    Free Member

STW is slipping, nobody’s suggested you build your own craft !!
    If you fancy it here’s a handy guide.

geomickb
    Free Member

We have a 16ft Canoe which we bought for a family hobby when my daughter was born.

She has been going in it since before she was one year old, she used to sit in the front but has now been prompted to Midshipman.

It works really well for two adults and a child but I have also paddled it solo. We frequently paddle the canal from Congleton towards Macclesfield. Not surprisingly there are a lot of locks at a place called Bosley Locks. 🙂

We frequently paddle at Rudyard, Tittesworth and The Lake District. It is a great for family adventures and exercise.

To paddle on canals you need to me a member of British Canoeing (we haven’t bothered this year) but nobody has ever asked to see our membership cards.

I would suggest going to see Paul at Tittesworth (https://www.tittesworthwater.co.uk/). They will give you lots of advice and let you hire canoes/kayaks/SUPS.

Mick

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Best Water Craft for Canal Pootling’ is closed to new replies.