Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • best warm and wicking top for wearing under a shell ?
  • iainc

time for a base/mid layer purchase for those cold wet days. Depth of winter I use a merino base and a Stealth, but need something for the wet rides when wearing a shell throughout.

need something warm, fitted, ideally without the bulk of pockets

reccomendations anyone ?

jameso

I like the thin merino round-neck long sleeve jerseys you can find in TKmaxx or Uniqlo for £10-20. Get a size smaller / slim fit for a great base layer. Got one at TKmaxx a few weeks ago for £16. Brilliant bits of kit that i wear a lot. Works perfectly under a slim-fitting windproof, even in really wet conditions. You can’t stay dry, but you can stay warm and dry out fast.

Ideally, layer up on the merino i/o a thicker layer?

TooTall
    Free Member

Helly Hansen outlet shop for the robust and warm thermals. No faff or special care needed – wash, wear, wash again – tough and well priced.

iainc

some good ones there thanks. I used to have a lovely old Kona Tifosi merino jersey, which was warm and cosy and had elasticated cuffs and waist band, so ideal for keeping the heat in under a shell – wonder where it is ….

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Helly hansen ‘Warm’ LS baselayer. Lifa material on the inner face and merino wool on the outer face. Doesn’t get as wet as pure merino garments (I’ve tried Icebreaker tops from the 150gsm to the 320gsm weights to compare) and stays very warm and comfy. The material is also a bit more fitted/elastic than the pure merino and seems to wick a lot better. Only downside is that the RRP for the LS baselayer shirt is about £60!

Do you not consider your stealth jacket to be a shell? I use mine in place of a goretex/event jacket and it seems more than capable and of comparable warmth/breathability to a hardshell jacket

richmtb

Can’t go wrong with Helly Hansen base layers Iain, I’ve tried Enduro and Howies merino base layers and they are good but not as hard wearing as the Helly Hansen ones.

I’ve got a plain Lifa one and a Lifa Warm they are both excellent

Check out Amazon (yes really!) for good deals on Helly Hansen stuff

matt_outandabout

Again, my HH dual lifa/merino is lovely at the moment and the top of choice for me canoeing at the moment.

See bottom of page
    http://www.adventure-kit.co.uk/tag/baselayer/

iainc

Andy – Stealth is good, and with an Icebreaker mid weight merino underneath it’s been down to well below zero on night rides. However when it’s chucking it down I still prefer a shell and a bit of air space beneath.

Rich – I have thrown too many smelly hellys in the bucket to go back there 😆 also, not quite enough on it’s own beneath a shell when its cold and wet and dark

AndyPaice
    Free Member

The stealth tops are a little snug I suppose.

Why not get a cheapy fleece mid layer from Go Outdoors or similar if you want a warmer top to go under a shell, could always wear a summer jersey under it for wicking/comfort.

The two HH Warm/Prowool tops I have do not have odour issues. I’ve been using them for about a year now and no smell issues at all from either. Never tried a pure Lifa top though (and they’re the ones with a rep for odour IIRC)

iainc

thanks for info Andy. Following on your and Rich’s post I found a HH Warm on Amazon at £30, so will give that a try. Icebreaker and Howies merino ones that I have are great under the Stealth but a bit airy I think with a shell – will see what the Lifa warm comes in like.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘best warm and wicking top for wearing under a shell ?’ is closed to new replies.