Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best value wide (35mm+) 650b rims
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I want to put together a semi fat bike – see previous threads and am now looking at rims to put the wheels together.

I want 3″ tyres on 650b rims and it seem like wider rims are really necessary to get the benefit of the wider tyres – Flow EX (26mm ish internal width) and the like are apparently too narrow to really get the best from them.

I know that there are rims out there (Dually, Hugo, etc) but they’re all pretty expensive (£100 each give or take) so I’m just wondering if there’s anything else out there that I’ve missed that’s better value (aka cheaper 🙂 ) and actually available now

TIA

sam_underhill

£ / lb I don’t think you can argue with the carbon light bicycle rims. But they don’t fall into the cheap category. I think they are good value, especially compared to the rest of the carbon rimmed market.

ajantom

I’ve been running a 3″ tyre on a Pacenti DL31 for months with no problems.

£40 each at On-One….. Pacenti DL31

rOcKeTdOg

Blunt 35’s are cheaper

nemesis
    Free Member

Ah, thanks for that – DL31s I had found, Blunt 35s I hadn’t and they sounds much more in line with what I was after in terms of price and width.

ajantom – it’s not really an issue running on a narrower rim, just that the consensus seems to be that you don’t really get close enough to a fat experience to be worthwhile though I’d be interested if your experience differs.

nemesis
    Free Member

No blunts in 32h 650b in stock 🙁

ajantom

I’m able to run the rear wheel at the same pressure as I was with the Rabbit Hole rim – about 15psi.
    Had no problems with tyre roll, and to be honest it rides no differently than the old wheel.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, found that but only 36h unfortunately

nemesis
    Free Member

On the off chance, does anyone know about the Sun Ringle Mulefut 50? Looks decent for the money (£100ish) and properly wide.

135 Conversion Axle (MTB)

nemesis
    Free Member

As an update, I’m really happy with my 650b+ conversion – have any more wide (40+ mm) rims come out since that aren’t £100 each?

noahhowes
    Free Member

I’m riding Easton ARC 30 rims which are a 34mm external width and 30m internal. They’re nice and light, build up well and seem strong so far, although they are £70-80 each.

boxelder

WTB Asym rims are cheaper – availability is the question.
    I’ve had a 32h Blunt 35 on order for a while now.

nemesis
    Free Member

TBH 35mm is too small a change for it to be worthwhile for me – I have 30mm rims and they’re good but I reckon a 40 / 45 on the front would be spot on.

simonjj
    Free Member

Anyone know who has stock of Easton ARC 30 650b in the UK?

v9gss

Has anyone found the wtb Aysm rims/whelkset in stock anywhere?

v9gss

Clearly wheelset not a whelkset, although that does sound interesting.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thread resurrection time – anyone seen anything new out there – 35-45mm at more like £50 than £100?

STATO
    Free Member

I found a German ebay seller doing 50mm (45mm inside) for £40posted. No idea what they are like tho. He also does them cheaper sale price but with higher postage, so may be a better deal for a few rims. Available in 27.5 and 29.

Link

nemesis
    Free Member

That actually looks quite promising…

ianpv
    Free Member

justridingalong have WTB asym i35s in stock for £57. I bought an i35 and an i29 from them – really easy to build – same length spokes front, rear, drive and both sides. I

nemesis
    Free Member

Hmm… wondering if a 35mm hub is really worth changing from my existing 25mm one. I’m tempted by those 50mm (well, 45mm internal really) ones though for winter and with a rigid fork (since the Purgatory won’t fit in my Rebas anyway) and maybe just building up a second wheel.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best value wide (35mm+) 650b rims’ is closed to new replies.