Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best value way to try clipless?
  • chambord
    Free Member

I know nothing about clipless pedals, but I have a new job starting soon and will be commuting ~10 miles each way (Half on half off road, probably on a grrrravel bike) and I’m thinking about getting some proper cycling shoes and pedals instead of using flats. If I like it I might even stick them on my mountain bike. Maybe.

What do I need to know? Is it just a case of buying the cheapest shoes and pedals and seeing how I get on or is buying cheap stuff a bad idea? (Given that cheap flats are terrible…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

By value do you mean cheapest???

Shoes that fit.
    If you are getting pedals without platforms (they are fine) then a stiffer shoe

Cheapest is a shimano pedal, personally don’t like them but lots do.

Specialized do some basic nice shoes like this
    http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/ftr/shoes/mtb-shoes/sport-mtb
    Work at it in a field first 🙂

sandwicheater

Shimano SPD pedals are ace from entry level to top of the range, i’d suggest go cheap SPD.

Could you borrow some? If you’re Halifax/Huddersfield way I’m happy to lend you some SPD pedals.

binners

Like a lot of things, I’d go Shimano for both pedals and shoes. Both will last forever and are cheap as chips.

Oh…. And you will keel over sideways at a set of traffic lights. Consider it a right of passage 😉

mcnultycop

M520 Shimano’s and the on one Agu Torquay shoes. No need to spend more.

chambord
    Free Member

By value do you mean cheapest???

Kind of, but with drivetrain bits I know that deore/SLX are a bit of a sweet spot for value and anything above that is lighter and a bit more bling but perhaps without performance improvements that I’d notice. I suspect there is a similar pattern for pedals…

chambord
    Free Member

Oh…. And you will keel over sideways at a set of traffic lights. Consider it a right of passage

Part of the reason I’ve found a mostly off road commute is to reduce the likelihood of this.

binners

You’re right that tgeres no need to go XT, these things are excellent!!

When you fit your pedals, back the tensioner screws on them right off, to give yourself a fighting chance

chambord
    Free Member

So many shoes out there… I get the feeling this is not to be done online. I’ll head to the bike shop in a bit and see what they have got to try on.

the tensioner screws

Does this control how tight the cleat is held on to the pedal?

give yourself a fighting chance

There is no point fighting it, it will happen no matter what and I just need to accept it and move on (Sheepishly and with a grazed elbow).

sandwicheater

Becomes second nature in no time at all. Just give barbed wire a wide birth on your first ride. Don’t ask me how i know 😳

johnnystorm

I’ve put 7k miles on a pair of £15 M520s and they still function perfectly. Shimano shoes can be a bit on the heavy side but I’ve found they last ages.

29erKeith
    Free Member

M520s just run forever and are cheap as chips
    Wiggle dhb shoes are worth a look for starters or shimano

mikewsmith
    Free Member

to clarify my dislike of shimano is that the CB’s are much easier to get into and very predictable to get out of.
    Forward, Backward and push down clip in.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above the cheap pedals are grand.

As for shoes I wouldn’t buy cheap, and I wouldn’t buy unseen either. Too easy to get a crap flexy shoe that doenst fit.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best value way to try clipless?’ is closed to new replies.