Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best (value for money vs performance) 10speed rear setup
  • continuity
    Free Member

I was going to grab an x0 rear mech and an x9 shifter, but then I saw that the x0 rear mech weighs exactly 1 gram less than the x9. And they both use bearings in the top parallelogram pivots. So 2012 x0 is just a rebranded and slightly shaplier and nicer looking x9. Great say I.

XT shifters/mechs still use bushings as far as I know (and they weigh 10-15% more than their x9 equivalents), so why would one buy shimano?

And how far up the ladder is it worth going on cassettes and chains? I’m after 11-36.

continuity
    Free Member

In before cup of tea / armchair / this should be good / other implication that this is a sram vs shimano bashing thread.

GW
    Free Member

IMO it’s not worth spending more than £20 on a mech or a tenner for a cassette, you seem to care more about having the latest thing so you might as well go XTR/XO

neninja
    Free Member

I personally stuck with Shimano with my 10 speed set up as it was a known quantity for me and has never let me down.

Of the friends I ride with the Shimano kit has seemed to be more reliable than Sram.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I struggle to find a convincing argument for anything beyond SLX level. It does the job well, the shifters feel nicely tactile and when you do inevitably smash your rear mech on a rock, you won’t have to pay over the odds at a trail centre bike shop for a replacement.

Junkyard
    Free Member

can we stay of shimano v sram and discuss best 10 speed deals please

Runs of to Rose bikes

continuity
    Free Member

Glad to hear you have a fun time on Acera without a cassette (because you can’t buy a cassette for a tenner). Does it help tension the chain on your singlespeed fatbike? As always, thank you for your contribution.

I couldn’t find anything special on rosebikes save a cheap pair of SLX m666 brakes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

X7 mech, shifter, 1050 cassette and 1031 chain is about £110 if you shop arround on google.

I’m going to wait untill the clutched mechs come allong in the summer and see what the price difference is, then either buy one for the pitch and a cheep normal mech as a spare (and keep the original 10s X9 on the pitch as a spare), or uprade both bikes (hardtail to 10speed, the pitch just the mech to the new type) and keep the pitch’s mech as a spare. Either way I need 2 new mechs, just depends how expensive they are.

GW
    Free Member

oh.. you can still buy good quality cassettes for a tenner if you bother looking. the last two cassettes I bought a few months back were both less than a fiver on offer from Rosebikes
    old LX, 105 or Tiagra mechs do the job nicely for around 20 quid (again always bought discounted)

but going by your snidey remark about Acera I think you need to go full Yumeya XTR, you’re clearly worth it

continuity
    Free Member

Snidey? You always read people as more vitriolic than they are (but not as vitriolic as you are)

I merely went to CRC and looked at what £20 would buy you.

Hint; it’s Acera. Or two tourney mechs.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Given what you’d spend on that amount of X0 I’d rather get a 10 speed SLX groupset from Merlin and sell off the surplus parts (front mech, shifter, BB and chainset). Under £250, selling the surplus parts could get you over £150 especially as it would all be BNIB.

Thus £100ish would have you sorted. Oh, and grab a SRAM powerlink while you’re shopping 😉

MERLIN LINK

continuity
    Free Member

Think I just got an x0 mech and shifter for 70.

Now just a cassette and chain. 1070?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best (value for money vs performance) 10speed rear setup’ is closed to new replies.