Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best value chain guide…
  • kevster
    Free Member

Setting up 1 x 10 on my bike with a 32t front ring. Need a chain device but have got a budget of around £60. What’s the best out there in that price range?

Mackem

If you have a NW chainring you dont need a chain device. If you dont have one, get one, less than 60 quid.

Northwind

Yup, narrow/wide might not cut it by itself, but ime it’s more effective than any top-only guide I’ve used so you definitely do it first before devices.

alcolepone
    Free Member
    kimbers

that saint one looks good, but only seems to go down to 34t

NW is good but i still need a guide with mine and a clutch mech

paladin

Sell you one of these for £50 😉

oli31
    Free Member

Blackspire Einfach user here after one to many chain drops with just NW / Clutch combo, neat, simple and relatively cheap!

kevster
    Free Member

Thanks for your input. It will be on a hardtail with a normal 32t ring for the moment.

slackalice
    Free Member

Paladin appears to have the best value! 😀

Mebbe mine takes second place? 😉

It kinda works! 😕

kevster
    Free Member

Some good DIY jobs here, however was thinking of something more off the shelf?!

jam-bo

E13 xcx.

alcolepone
    Free Member

i’m running the shamino saint chain guide with a 32 teeth chainring. no issues after 4 months use

moniex
    Free Member

I run a bash and a n-gear jump stop. About a Tenner for the jump stop I think (plus post). I have this on both the kids bikes too.

Simone

takisawa2

Superstarcomponents one here.
    BB mount is sturdier, but the seat tube mount one is more adjustable.
    Less than £20.

ohrats
    Free Member

An E Thirteen LS1? You can pick them up for less than £60 on CRC.

Northwind

Are you wanting an oldschool full guide, or just a top one? If you’re thinking top only, then really it makes little sense to do that with a standard ring- it’ll be pretty much as expensive, more hassle, and less reliable than a top guide.

This is the best value chain retention there is, imo:
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/i-o-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm

It’ll hold the chain better than any top guide I’ve used. And in the event the chain does fall off, it goes back on easily! No jamming.

I wouldn’t recommend the Superstar top only guides, the backplate of the XCR is a bit bendy, it does work but it’s not brilliant. An MRP 1X is a fair bit more expensive admittedly but it’s also a lot better.

deadkenny
    Free Member

For something off the shelf, best value is anything made by e.13. Yes, might be an expensive up front outlay, but they work, are reliable, and don’t disintegrate or jam and fall apart like other brands (*cough* MRP *cough* )

But yes, a Narrow / Wide does a much better job. Though in reducing chain slap, it really needs a clutch mech, and I’m finding they’re a bit troublesome. Not always engaging when you want them too. I’m thinking now a simple tensioner like above and a N/W ring is all that’s needed.

Northwind

My E13 fell to bits 😥 Apparently the plastic isn’t compatible with some chain lube, it’s like they didn’t really realise they were making a chain device! MRP seem good if they don’t have moving parts but my G3’s been a bit of hassle.

honourablegeorge

I have an MRP Lopes ISCG05 guide for sale, if you fancy it – good nick, mail in profile.

slackalice
    Free Member

So, do you reckon a N/W along with my Heath Robinson top guide would be belt and braces? It’s 9sp, so no clutch mech.

Thanks 😀

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    My E13 fell to bits Apparently the plastic isn’t compatible with some chain lube

MRP have a list of “banned” lubes too – Solvents and plastic just don’t play well.

davosaurusrex

Northwind – how long did your e13 take to disintegrate? I have one but foolishly haven’t stopped using rock and roll lube yet. Keep meaning to get something else but haven’t decided what, can’t be doing with a messy chain anymore.

The e13 xcx has been perfect so far otherwise, bit pricy for what it is though

honourablegeorge

They tend to disintegrate when you’re removing or refitting them – the flange around the bolts seems particularly vulnerable.

tomfun

Race face NW + X9 9 speed mech = occasional dropped chain.

I’ve not had a dropped chain since adding the cheapy Superstar BB mount Top guide (tested at Afan,BPW & Eastridge). I don’t see why you would need anything else.

superfli
    Free Member

+1 tomfun. Had the very occasional drop with a NW chainring. Not something I’d normally be fussed with, but didnt want it happening under race conditions. I bought a superstar frame mounted guide as I couldnt be bothered to take the BB off 🙂 Waste of money, far to flimsy. I then bought the BB mounted XCR guide and its been great. No drops on UKGE or Mega.

Northwind

davosaurusrex – Member

Northwind – how long did your e13 take to disintegrate?

Can’t really remember, I went through a couple of chain devices trying to find a good one. Few months I think.

I didn’t know MRP has a banned list too 😳 FWIW I’ve just treated my 2 the same as the E13 and neither have shown any ill effects, over a much longer period. But maybe they’ll fall apart tomorrow 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Best value chain guide…’ is closed to new replies.