• This topic has 27 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igm.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Best tyre for hard "car-park-slippy" surfaces?
  • hock

You might have heard of (or even participated in) the Evans Cycles Urban Dual multi-storey car park race in Cardiff last year:

what would be the best tyre for these kind of less-grippy-than-tarmac surfaces?

I thought of Maxxis DTH-style profile but assume it would need extra tacky compound.

Any 26″ tyre recommendations?

Cheers!

Stoner
    Free Member
    supersaiyan
    Free Member

dmr moto rt on the rear, maybe a cut down (or worn out) Minion ST on the front?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Holy Roller!!!!

scaredypants

If anybody makes a slick tyre with soft rubber, that

hock

Cool! Many thanks for your replies! Very helpful!

Had neither the DMR tyres on my radar nor actual road tyres.

Currently trying to find out the compound of those road tyres as I have a feeling they might be optimized for less wear and therefore a little too hard for my case.

Holy Roller, DMR Moto RT and also Kenda K-Rad look all pretty suitable/similar but the later two have these little knobs which “look” grippier.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrnVqVeJSlo0SzVH0PxSfyGH-fi2yJIk8UqYYQcbEvCpY_EjXc[/img]

Also came across Specialized Rhythm Lite (which have pretty soft 50a compound on the shoulders) and Specialized Compound tyres.

[img]http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/8829?$Grid$[/img]

Hookworm looks the business, too but is too wide for my ride.

Many thanks!

Northwind

SB8 works well on slippy tarmac but not that good on smooth concrete- seems to need something to get its teeth into.

simondbarnes

Conti Top Contact Winter 2?

Basil

Michelin Wild RunR

iamroughrider
    Free Member

never used them but maybe these

halo tyres

could be run at lower pressures apparently as an offroad ( summer?) tyre too.

hock

Schwalbe Table Tops have been recommended to me in a shop:
    “E v e r y b o d y rides them. They are ideal for indoor parks, too.”

While I am not a big Schwalbe fan they certainly look suitable. Kind of siped rectangular blocks length-wise on the shoulder might help traction while cornering and they certainly “feel” very tacky.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hookworms are ACE! I have some that get on my Enduro from time to time when I want to get rad to teh powa of sikk, shredding teh gnat on da mean streetz!

hock

Yonna gowa, Flashheart! 😉

igm

Big Apple too hard a compound?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Why are people recommending dirt jump tyres? On tarmac a slick will have the most grip. Schwalbe Big Apples?

hock

Wasn’t asking for a tarmac tyre, though. Think more of multi-storey car park-style painted concrete.

Big Apple classified as cruiser/balloon bike tyre. Sounds a little recreational to me.

tomhoward

Intense micro knobbly.

/thread

somafunk

Whatever tyre you choose rub it down with isopropyl alcohol before your run, it should clean the surface making it nice n’ tacky but i guess all that work will be next to no good as the tarmac/concrete surface will be covered in oils n’ shite anyway.

Good luck though, hooning about in a multi storey car par on a bike or any wheeled transport is good fun and not in any way “irresponsible or childish* at your age”

* according to a crabbit/overweight and heavily panting glasgow copper who called for backup to block the exit of mitchell street multi-storey car park in Glasgow a few years ago, apparently it is not the done thing to have 4’s up duel races down the exit ramps at 2am in the morning.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Think more of multi-storey car park-style painted concrete

Same thing. The more rubber in contact with the surface the more grip you’ll have. A slick will have more rubber on contact with the ‘road’ surface than anything with knobs.

Euro
    Free Member

umop3pisdn – Member

Why are people recommending dirt jump tyres?

Because they grip really well on hard surfaces and are tough enough not to blow out.

Whatever tyre you choose rub it down with isopropyl alcohol before your run, it should clean the surface making it nice n’ tacky

Yeah, do this, it’s pro! [eyes that are a rolling in an upward direction]

tutgareth
    Free Member

Crazy Bob

Schwalbe Crazy bob??

I have some 26×2.4 and they are epic on the road

officialtob
    Free Member

I have no idea what tyre would be best I’m afraid… but keen to know whether Evans are planning on doing this again then? Was going to come and watch the one last year, but completely forgot about it!

premier
    Free Member

Run low pressure as low as you can with out excessive squirming/ bottoming out – more important than tred

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Same thing. The more rubber in contact with the surface the more grip you’ll have. A slick will have more rubber on contact with the ‘road’ surface than anything with knobs.

Physics fail, grip is independant of area.

I’ve some lightly worn supertacky larsens if you want them cheep.

igm

Which is why F1 cars run skinny tyres…

It’s not independent, nor is it a linear relationship. It is unfortunately a little more complex than that.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Best tyre for hard "car-park-slippy" surfaces?’ is closed to new replies.