Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best travel insurance for biking in the alps and general rock climbing?
  • Shackleton

Morning all,

What do STW recommend as the best travel insurance (Europe) to cover the above activities? Normally we would go with BMC but mountain biking has moved up a category level and we are just trying to suss out any other good alternatives. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with any particular one?

Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

BMC for climbing
    Dogtag for Biking

both uplift the other activity so pick one

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The other one is Snowcard.
    Certainly BMC and Snowcard will cover you for both, you just need to investigate the detail. It used to be the case that you had to be a BMC member to take their insurance, so check that as well.

The only one I’ve ever claimed on was BMC and it was faultless with no quibbles.

oli31
    Free Member

Austrian alpine club is highly rated on ukc annual membership is about £40 and gives you a good level of rescue medical and repatriation cover no travel insurance for flights etc but this can be bought cheaply enough from tesco etc

paulevans
    Free Member

+1 for dogtag

Shackleton

Cheers all, much obliged.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Endsleigh paid out 47k on me when biking. Get my £ every time

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve used AAC(UK), as above, a few times for mountaineering. I’ve never looked into whether it includes MTB/other misc extreme sports. Certainly it has good enough cover for Search and rescue, Heli evac, medical costs, repat etc etc, but not travel ins (ie equipment/baggage/cash/cancellation etc etc), as said above. I’ve not had to process a claim with them, so no idea how efficient the insurer/agent is.

AlasdairMc

I personally thought the AAC medical cover to be quite low compared to BMC. However, you do get the reciprocal rights card which is a benefit if staying in huts.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Snowcard worked for me when I had to make a claim. Painless, which is more than I can say about the injury I claimed treatment costs for

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best travel insurance for biking in the alps and general rock climbing?’ is closed to new replies.