Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Best trance to train to
  • paddlemyowncanoe
    Free Member

Being an old git I wouldn't know the difference between trance and techno. Until I came across a Marmotte vid with a backing track by Solarstone and apparently it is trance stylee. Anyway, it would make a cracking training tune and would while away the miles.

Can someone more hip than me could point me in the direction of more of this or similar stuff, like an anthology or compilation? Googling trance gives a gazillion names I have never heard of.

Cheers.

juiced
    Free Member

try streaming the following.. slinky.fm, providing of course your using a turbo trainer.

Good trance dj's.. armin van buren, teisto, judge jules, eddie haliwell

chakaping
    Free Member

Trance hasn't been hip for at least eight years, if it ever was.

Not my area of expertise, but DJ compilations might be the best place to start – usually providing a bit more direction than unmixed compilations.

I think Paul van Dyk and Armin Van Burren are the top trance DJs, but my grasp of the genre is shaky at best.

juiced
    Free Member

cd wise. I like the ' euphoria ' ones. Depends really how bangin you want it.

Wozza
    Free Member

Download Sasha and Digweed, best trance going.

Nick

surely 'good trance DJ' is an oxymoron?

How about some good house
    music instead?

chakaping
    Free Member

Except they pretend to be 'prog' or 'epic' instead, depending what decade it is.

I don't even like trance and have to admit that the man like… is the best DJ I've ever heard. It was just astonishing what he could do.

juiced
    Free Member

You can also stream a weekly Armin Van Buren show on Kiss fm to see if you like him. For harder dance try streaming radio one kutski's show.

IA

Fire up itunes, then subscribe to the weekly (free) Above & Beyond podcast, that'll keep you going. There's also a tiesto podcast which is decent too.

Wozza
    Free Member

From what I "remember" at Uni 😉

compositepro
    Free Member

sasha was a legend back in the day…yes mixmag once said you reach an age when you say back in the day and your officially an old git…i remeber a load of us getting a flight to new york to see him and digweed …the americans were a bit bemused i think

a long time ago i was very into dance music seems Gatecrasher cds are what you need or maybe some global undergorund cds if your on a journey through different more melodic stuff …i remember gatecrasher well …a long time ago it all started in a little club well it was an arch painted gloss black …but they were cool clubs…beneath the arches in sheffield before it hit the big time you could often see turned away people clambering up the viaduct down the wicker…. running along the railway lines before dropping down the 30 foot wall round the back..It got big then and too comercial and about the time paul van doodad arrived on the scene maybe in 2000 i think

oh then there was the music factory…anyone remember the music factory

oh shit then there was renaissance

im old….

oh theres a guy called max graham from canada who does some great podcasts but really anything by paul oakenfold works too

Eldrik
    Free Member

Another vote for Global Underground compilations (particularly early 2000s vintage) and/or Sasha and Digweed. I'd agree they're not probably not entirely 'trance' but excellent nonetheless.

druidh
    Free Member

juiced – Member

try streaming the following.. slinky.fm, providing of course your using a turbo trainer.

Good trance dj's.. armin van buren, teisto, judge jules, eddie haliwell

Great link – thanks.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

TranceX2

[is there an emoticon for a parched dry sense of humour?]

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Vocal trance would be a bit cack to train to. You'd be better with some hard trance tbh.

Something hardstyle-esque would be decent. Pounding, repetitive and high BPM.

Failing that, try some acid techno (DAVE the Drummer, Chris Liberator)

Haliwell plays hard trance / bouncy hard house (and he's a mean scratcher too!)

If it's deffo trance you want, then look out for Armin Van Buuren's "State of Trance" mixes. Loads of them about.

I LOVE hard music. Look for Lab4, Mark EG, Proteus

Mark EG set.
    http://clubevolve.ning.com/video/mark-eg-plays-a-hardstyle-set

Bit more mellow, but great VJ set.
    http://clubevolve.ning.com/video/55-minute-psytrance-vj-mix

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Chris Liebing, Carl Cox, Dave Clarke, Umek, Yoji Biomehanika, Scott Bond, Cally & Juice, Misja Hesloot, Rodi Style.

Look for mixes by any of the above and you wont go far wrong.

mhuk
    Free Member

It's not trance but it get's you going: Earquake – Decibel Point: http://eradik.com/mixes/Decibel_Point-Earquake.mp3 and a whole page of stuff here: http://www.shahdjs.com/media.php – all free and legal.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

I'm guessing you heard "Seven Cities" by Solarstone? classic track… anyway, for that style of pure trance, I recommend getting hold of the old Ministry of Sound Trance Nation Albums – you should be able to download them without too many difficulties (try BitTorrent). The early Global Underground albums are *amazing*, particularly Tony de Vit in Tokyo and Sasha in Ibiza, but the former will probably be a bit too hard and the latter slightly too deep at this stage.

Also, have a look at the livesets on tranceaddict.com. you'd probably really enjoy the GTR, Thrillseekers, Paul van Dyk and Robert Gitelman mixes.

other DJs to look out for: Signum (Ron Hagen & Pascal M.), Tiesto, Misja Helsloot, Rob Tissera, Guy Ornadel, John '00' Fleming, Ferry Corsten, Armin van Buuren, Pulsedriver, Paul Oakenfold, Dave Pearce, Scott Bond, Ronski Speed, Dumonde, the list goes on…

if you decide that you want harder stuff then post back for advice. if you're anything like me then the more you explore the harder you'll want to go. Aphex, that Mark EG set is pretty impressive and I normally prefer freeform/hardcore to hardstyle…

trance will never die 😉

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Download Sasha and Digweed, best trance going

Transitions Vol, 1, 2 & 3. John digweed
    Avalon – Sasha

Or you could download the Tiesto Podcast from Itunes. A 1 Hr mix free every week. Well over 2 days worth of killer trance and all the up to date tunes.

And another vote for Global Underground. Oakey New York cd 2. Insane!!!

These guy are not your average commercial poop.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

This is brilliant! The OP says "I tried Googling 'trance' and all I got was a list of hundreds of names I'd never heard of"

… and now by way of STW he has an endless – and conflicting list – of names that he will (inevitably) never have heard of. 😆

Sasha and Digweed were good in their time, not sure if I'd call it 'trance' though..? Progressive-trancey-house?

Judge Jules (hard house) can occasionally get it banging..

Keep it simple – and download any mix album with 'Euphoric Trance…..' in the title, not exactly the best of the ouvre, but probably good enough to train to.

Whatever happened to house music though? It more or less seems to have eaten itself..

Surfr
    Free Member

If you want Psy/Goa Trance, then give Philosomatika a listen.

http://www.philosomatika.com/

theflatboy
    Free Member

the early tony de vit global underground cds fit the bill. also, the epic, seminal sasha & digweed renaissance triple set, particularly disc 2. i'd nominate global underground dave seaman cape town and of course sasha san francisco as good choices. any GU mix up to about 14.

ianv
    Free Member

http://techno-sets.szm.com/
    http://www.i-m.pl (click on sety)

If you can find early sets by sven vath or dj dag (90's) go for them
    trancy techno :dj preach or valantino kanzyiani
    techno:taakaki itoh, umek, christian varela

avoid the psy trance and acid techno stuff its S41T!

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Sasha & Digweed are not trance DJ's, Armin van burrin Paul Van Dyke Tiesto are certainly DJ's who like to play Trance 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

Sasha & Digweed are not trance DJ's

the stuff they started out playing was, at the risk of sounding like a pigeonholing nob, progressive trance, then they went more into ridiculously deep moody progressive house that everyone soon realised was actually a bit boring – cf. digweed los angeles – then they started playing stuff that was a bit melodic again.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

the stuff they started out playing was

That was well over 10 years ago, and i think they would have called it progressive house music. Like you said, no point in 'pigeonholing' it is just music 😉

Futureboy
    Free Member

What Si says. Sasha & Diggers never played "trance" (shudders at the thought)!

Was listening to vintage Sasha last night from 91! I'm deffo knocking on a bit now! ;O)

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'm sorry to respond the this again, but the definition of trance has changed over the years, just as has their style of music.

this is the tracklisting for the renaissance triple cd, disc 2:

1. Fluke – "Slid" (PDF mix) – 4:43
    2. Funk Machine – "Let's Get This Party Started" (Party mix) – 5:20
    3. Fluke – "Slid" (Justin Robertson's Scat & Frenzy) – 5:01
    4. Corrado – "Trust" (Pink mix) – 5:02
    5. MBG – "Trance 1" (Oriental Psycho Estmix) – 2:01
    6. Hysterix – "Talk to Me" (Sasha's Full Master mix) – 7:04
    7. Annadin – "Angel" – 7:18
    8. Virtualmismo – "Mismoplastico" (Dirtysyncomix) – 3:30
    9. Virtualmismo – "Mismoplastico" (original remix) – 5:29
    10. Fishbone Beat – "Always" (Psychedelic Martini remix) – 3:39
    11. Grace – "Not Over Yet" (Perfecto mix) – 5:47
    12. Secret Life – "She Holds the Key" (H.A.L.F. I'm a Believer mix) – 4:16
    13. Funtopia featuring Jimi Polo – "Do You Wanna Know" (Gut Drum mix) – 5:07
    14. V.F.R. – "Tranceillusion" (Original mix) – 3:16
    15. Kym Mazelle – "Was That All It Was" (David Morales' Def mix) – 7:07)

that is all.

Futureboy
    Free Member

Other than one song with trance in the title…that ain't trance!

Fluke, Justin Robertson, David Morales, Virtualismo…….not trance!

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

I LOVE that CD, and it really is not trance! It may have the word trance in some of the records, but listen to it and it is obvious (to me anyway!) that it is not trance but a good mix of house music, which is why S&D pioneered Progressive House music. The ending to that CD is class, and about as far from trance as possible!

Cant wait to get home and whack that on the cd player……

pushbikerider
    Free Member

The podrunner podcasts a pretty good – you can pick your BPM to suit your workout too 🙂

http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html

Trance.fm is another favourite if you fancy a bit of streaming:

http://www.trance.fm

compositepro
    Free Member

I always associated sasha and digweed with progressive but then everyones experience is different i suppose…
    I have some cds …the dj culture ones from when seaman shasa and diggers were all playing at shelley's and its house music..or at least it was then.

got to agree they did go off the deep end with their moody music which was more a result of the look who we are we can play anything mentality of djs at that time

i have a soft spot for its all gone wrong at the moment and i would have shuddered to say that…erm….back in the day!!!

amazing how peoples genres and classifications vary

for me the seminal trance cds were the gatecrasher series ..black ..red and wet beng the final one before trance went boom and everyone just made records

its just like the OP said… one track they like or remember and probably think the rest is tosh

furry_marmot
    Free Member

having seen/heard Sasha live at his 30th birthday party at MoS nearly 10 years ago, I can confirm that he did indeed play some trance back in the day. he finished his set with BT – Mercury & Solace, followed by his own track Xpander (for the second time that night) which is one of the biggest trance anthems of all time. However, to generalise I would tend to classify his late 90s sound as a crossover between deep epic house and progressive trance, rather than the "purer" trance sound that the OP appears to be looking for if he likes Solar Stone. It's been a good few years since Sasha played anything unquestionably identifiable as classic trance (although his remix of Ulrich Schnauss' "on my own" comes pretty close). I hope that clears things up somewhat. in case you needed any confirmation from the man himself, he describes it as "trance" on the box of one of his GU mixes (can't remember whether it was SF or Ibiza).

and to ianv, Goa or psychedelic trance is indeed a bit of an acquired taste, but can be pleasantly trippy in the right circumstances in the middle of a forest somewhere. hard driving psy-trance (as pioneered by John '00' Fleming or Astral Projection, for example) is nothing short of mind-blowing. once again, I don't think this is what the OP is looking for… and although disc 2 is De Vit's Tokyo mix is one of my all time favourite sets, I don't think that really fits the bill either…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

.i remember gatecrasher well …a long time ago it all started in a little club well it was an arch painted gloss black …but they were cool clubs…beneath the arches in sheffield before it hit the big time

ooh ooh ooh me too 😀

you must remember 'the joker' as well then.

happy happy days

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

now if you want proper trance then you can't go far wrong with Cygnus X or one of the EyeQ compilations. Also Hybrid and any of the early Nick Warren Global Undergrounds discs.

bit more up to date is the Trance Nation (imaginatively named 1, 2 and 3) compilations. The more modern 'EUPHORIC DANCE' compilations are not trance, they are utter tosh.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

I went to the original crasher at the archers, and all i can remember is my feet being knackered from dancing on the concrete dancefloor for several hours!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that's quite a bit more than i can recall 🙂

back in the day you could club for a solid 24 hours in Sheffield.

7pm: Beers in the Howard pub
    11pm: 'crasher
    6.30am: 'crasher car park for a herbal cigarette
    7am: Insomniacs at the Corporation
    12pm: Area 51 at some bar i don't really have a good memory of.
    8pm: bed

Futureboy
    Free Member

having seen/heard Sasha live at his 30th birthday party at MoS nearly 10 years ago, I can confirm that he did indeed play some trance back in the day. he finished his set with BT – Mercury & Solace, followed by his own track Xpander (for the second time that night) which is one of the biggest trance anthems of all time

Having seen and heard Sasha many, many times from around 92/93 to 2005, there is no way that he could be considered as Trance. Xpander isn't a trance tune per se (although it may have been labled as such by some) and BT (Brian Transeau) was a bastion of the early prog house scene.

Not arguing and apologies for taking the post OT but i get het up about this. Comes from many years of DJ'ing and promoting club nights.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

second the Cygnus X recommendation. only time I ever had my (ridiculously tolerant) neighbours pounding on the door whilst at university was listening to a Yves Deruyter mix late at night which he ended with "The Orange Theme"…

another suggestion which I can't believe I didn't think of before is the Reactivate series from the late 90s/turn of the millennium. hard-edged classic trance; a big influence on evolutionary psy-trance and also the uk hard trance sound which developed 8 years ago or so.

compositepro
    Free Member

it were GU Ibiza where dom mixmag said sasha was doing trance and it was more upbeat on cd so you could call it that

both of those cds San francisco and Ibiza are in my special listen to still box

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Best trance to train to’ is closed to new replies.