Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Best Trail riding frame?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I’m in the process of choosing a new frame for trail duties. I’ve looked at so many frames it’d take hours to type them all out but at the moment yeti’s ASR or 575, Transition’s bandit or Covert or Trek’s EX or remedy are in the frame but there are so many i’ve decided I need some long term views to narrow it down before demoing. Currently i’m undecided whether to go 120ish or 150ish on the travel front so can anyone recommend anything else from 120 – 150mm for trail riding. Pictures would be a bonus. I’m riding a ’08 pitch at the moment.

duir
    Free Member

Very much worth looking at the Devinci Dixon (145mm).

Rorschach
    Free Member

There is no such thing as ‘best’…(unless you are 8 years old)
    Make a decision on usage… (we all ride on ‘trails)
    Make a decision on travel…
    Make a decision on price…
    Draw up a list of COMPARABLE choices… (NOT apples vs oranges)
    Then buy the one that is the nicest colour.
    “Help us to help you”

iain1775
    Free Member

May also help if we knew your budget
    What type of riding you mostly do (lakes Scotland or peaks v different to south downs trail centres etc)

bedmaker

a red one

stevepitch
    Free Member

2011 pitch?

ask1974
    Free Member

Test, test, test and test a few more. If not then pick a pretty one and ride happily ever after, they’re all pretty bloody good, that’s why we like talking about them so much.

I chose this one My trail bike

Anyone know how to extract the URL for an image using an iPad? Can’t work it out…

jedi

i never test ride bikes 🙂

ask1974
    Free Member

But you have the force… We don’t!

ruscle
    Free Member

Its what ever you think looks the best!! :mrgreen:

Mugboo

Jedi

Anybody who has watched your vids, won’t let you test their bikes 😉

jedi

lol@ mugboo 🙂

gsp1984
    Free Member

I’ve only done 200ish miles on it but I bloody love it, takes anything you throw at it, plus some. 2012 Orange five pro, lots of extras.

I won’t lie, I wish I’d not been so tight and bought a Blur LTC or custom build IBIS Mojo HD, ah well you live and learn, maybe next year.

tomaso
    Free Member

I think you should place your complete faith in magazine reviews!

This months MBUK says you should buy a Trek EX8 and I can’t see anything wrong with that advice – its a good bike, decent spec and a good compromise between the two travel points you reference. I do wonder how I’d fare on one instead of my Pitch as I’m rarely quicker on my bike, but then I am probably the missing link in this equation…

My mate flies up and down the Lakeland mountains on his Trek Ex8 with spirit crushing pace. I think it looks like a really good all rounder and it is a lot lighter than my Pitch.

steve_b77
    Free Member

This is my “trail” bike, it’s a bit more left-field than those mentioned above, but hey why follow the crowd.

And yes the rear brake hose is too long and the wall/carpet is a mess 😆

sambob
    Free Member

I’ll lok after it if you want GSP? Want a new bike anyway, I could foster it so you don’t feel bad about having 2 posh bikes?

Trimix
    Free Member

Any good frame can be spoiled by the wrong setup, the wrong tyres, the wrong suspension settings, the wrong tyre pressures, the wrong bar positions etc etc.

Find out what geometery suits your style and then spec it to suit you. Experiment with set up.

althepal

Here’s mine, had it 18 months, wanted a bit more travel than my 04 enduro so got this.
    Just as good on the climbs, fun and reassuring on the downs.
    I ride mostly trail centres and natural xc/trails.. Nice to know I have a bit in reserve when I’m gnarring it up.

the_lecht_rocks

Nicolai Helius AC. 29er if you’re adult proprtions 🙂

End of thread.

thomthumb
    Free Member

hardtail would be better. 🙂

ajr
    Free Member

][/url]Ventana El Ciclon, tested in Jan 2012 What mountain Bike.

simonm
    Free Member

There is no such thing as ‘best’…(unless you are 8 years old)

Yes there is… Simon (aged 8 )

tomaso
    Free Member

Mainstream vs Niche? Oh the eternal question of the bike and what your brand choice says about you… :mrgreen:

topgunsteve
    Free Member

love my 2010 EX8, it suits me for everything I ride, I’m 18st and it doesn’t bat an eyelid at anything I throw it at. Love that thing

tomaso
    Free Member

The travel question depends on what you ride and how you find your Pitch? Is it too heavy or too much bike for what you ride or do you think the advances in tech will benefit you with tapered headtubes/forks and bolt through rears etc?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Best Trail riding frame?’ is closed to new replies.