Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best trail hound?
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

So my last puppy deal fell through, and I am still hunting for a pupper. What do the hive mind recommend? I think I prefer short hair, larger, and obs something that will run.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I have two German Shorthaired pointers. Will run for hours.
    Riding varies depending on if I take one or both (one is much faster than the other. So can ride full speed with one, but have to go slower with the other/both dogs out)
    However being gundogs, natural instincts kick in if there are any deer/pheasants/rabbits around.

Between me and some friends with spaniels that sometimes get taken riding too, we’ve decided The best trail hound is one you can leave at home whilst out

PJay
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjqdCWpkwmg[/video]

jekkyl

ones that don’t shit on the trail and doesn’t get in the way of other riders… that’ll be none then. 😆

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Pointers are a good shout, along with Dalmatians. Although I’m biased (stw recommending your own shocker) but Rhodesian Ridgebacks are also great. Bred to track animals for miles but still have the ability to put in a 200yrd sprint at the end.

matt10214
    Free Member

I have a German Shorthaired Pointer and Vizsla cross, I get tired of pedalling before he gets tired of running!

I only take him on fireroads and farm tracks though, he’s terrible on narrow singletrack as he’s only happy running at the side of me he won’t settle infront or behind.

He’s currently pestering for his weekend morning 12 mile walk! 🙄

fudge9202
    Free Member

My wife runs a dog sanctuary and we’ve rehomed dogs to runners and mountain bikers a lot, would have to say the the most popular are Vizla/Pointer mixes and Spaniel/Collie or Spaniel/Lab mixes. Would advise a mixed puppy over a pedigree as you tend to avoid the inherent faults with some of the pedigrees such as hip and elbow issues. If it was me I’d go for a Vizla/Pointer but remember he’ll want a lot of exercise even on the days your not on the trails

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Our pointers are the opposite Matt.
    Sometimes Run a bit wild on fireroads, then happy to settle infront or behind on singletrack.

mjsmke

One that pickes up it’s own poo and doesn’t chase other bikes.

willstaffs
    Free Member

I have a German Shorthaired Pointer and he loves the trails, mostly do fireroads and out of the way singletrack but have taken him to trail centres in the week! As soon as my Garmin beeps to start recording he just runs and runs and only looks behind if there is a choice of trail to follow! He can’t stand being behind so will do anything to get past me. We are upto 16 miles once a week now.

The only downside is the 2 hour walks everyday we don’t go mountain biking!

Here is me following him at Nant-yr-Arian

zomersetglider

he’s a handsome chap that Klaus willstaffs, likes the singletrack stuff too! 😀

willstaffs
    Free Member

@zomersetglider He’s handsome and he knows it, loves posing almost as much as singletrack!

funkrodent

I’ve a collie/lab/shepherd cross (can’t be 100% sure as she’s a rescue). As mentioned above, great combo for the trails. And deffo would go for a cross breed. Too many issues with a lot of the larger pedigrees and if you’re running a dog with a bike,they’re more likely to become an issue. As for posters trotting out the tired dog poo clichés, I’d agree that a well trained dog AND owner are vital. Particularly if riding in busy spots. Mine sticks to my back wheel like glue.

EDIT – Used to have a ridgeback/greyhound cross. Awesome dog and loved the bike, though a pure greyhound would be useless as a trail hound.

TomB

I’ve got a lakeland trailhound, retired from racing after puppy year and has been a great pet and biking / fell running dog. Really chilled, Google trailhound welfare or hound trailing association for info.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Imho, you can’t guarantee that your dog will have the required temperament. If you get lucky AND put the training in, great. But you’ve got to at least acknowledge the possibility that your dog will be too stupid, clever, reactive, lazy, stoic, for trail-hounding.

russyh
    Free Member

We have been looking at rescue dogs today as a replacement for the massive hole left in our life after we lost our boxer earlier this year. Love the idea of a rescue dog this time, but each time we have been to the local shelter we miss out and I can’t cope with the tears from the kids as we arrive to see a dog and find it’s been ‘reserved’. Any recommendations of rescue centres around the Gloucestershire area? We got a load of love to give but want the right dog and the whole process of adoption to be pleasurable if possible

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Russyh,
    maybe look at breed specific rescue groups?
    Our 2nd dog came from GSP rescue UK. There is also Vizsla rescue UK, boxer etc etc

salad_dodger

russyh – google south glos strays. They have links to quite a few rehoming places and are also very good to deal with if you have any questions.

TiRed

Working cocker. Fast, endless energy, always hunting a scent.

BearBack
    Free Member

Hard to find a good running dog that doesn’t need endless exercise. The pointer I’ve ridden with needs more exercise the more he runs… plus whilst he enjoyed it, if he stopped to sniff something and got behind out of sight, you’d hear him coming as he would panic Yelp until catching up. Some dogs thrive, others not.
    Viszla, all of them I know are mad.
    My lab shep cross was great, waited till after 12mo to trail run her. 1-1.5hrs max and we pulled the plug on riding at 8years old. Was amazing while it lasted and it’s taken her a year to realise when my bike comes out, she’s not coming.
    Next I’d get something with a much slighter build. But I’m almost thinking if we do get another dog when current mutt leaves us, a sausage dog would be better and skip riding with the dog altogether.
    I do miss the pure happiness that exuded from my dog when we hit trail together and at full chatter along the tech trails, it was a sight to behold!
    Aussie cattle dog? Duck troller?

matt10214
    Free Member

@ simply_oli_y Yeah it’s wierd how I took him though the local woods on tight singletrack and he wouldn’t run behind kept trying to get infront, then when he got infront he kept stopping to make sure I was there!

He just runs and runs at the side of me!

I always pick his poo up and wouldn’t dream of taking him to my local trail center 😉

matt10214
    Free Member

If it was me I’d go for a Vizla/Pointer but remember he’ll want a lot of exercise even on the days your not on the trails

@fudge9202 Tell me about it! Ours is walked for 3-4 hours most days, doesn’t leave a deal of time for cycling if i’m honest!

fudge9202
    Free Member

We had a litter of 10 of them at the sanctuary earlier this year, thankfully I resisted the temptation to keep one 😀

fudge9202
    Free Member

Here’s my current trail companion, a Blue Mearl Collie found dumped in a bin at 8 weeks old

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best trail hound?’ is closed to new replies.