Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)
  • Best TOWNS to live in as a MTBer?
  • climbingkev
    Free Member

Matlock.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

it’s drier than the rest of Snowdonia. Great post-ride pub overlooking the sea, and a fab chippy.

Sold!

neil853
    Free Member

probably because the subject quite clearly states TOWNS

sorry, I thought manchester was made up a collection of small towns 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

The whole ‘best’ thing is part of the modern media ‘nugget’ disease

It was a response to the silly MBR best cities to live in as a mountain biker list (which included London).

More people suggesting their own town than I expected!

rewski
    Free Member

South Croydon, closely followed by Eastbourne, and I’m not kidding.

saxabar
    Free Member

I’ll see your Conwy with Bethesda (Snowdonia). Up into the Carneddi, out into the Ogwen Valley or over to Llanberis, Bethesda truly is the best TOWN to live in as a MTBer 😉

nickf
    Free Member

I come from Rothbury and I would not say Rothbury. Though some of the cheeky stuff is ace. Some wifey walking her dogs did shout at me on Sunday saying “What are you doing you idiot you will break your neck?” So it must have been good.

Agreed. I’m from there originally, and although it’s good, Pateley Bridge is better.

tallgavin
    Free Member

South Croydon, closely followed by Eastbourne, and I’m not kidding.

rewski – I used to live in South Croydon so I know you are kidding. Couldn’t wait to leave the place personally.
    Another vote here for Dorking, well, just South of Dorking with Redlands as the backdrop when I open the curtains.

How are you rewski?

br
    Free Member

tbh If availability for work is included, the Chilterns (Aylesbury, Princes Risborough etc) ain’t a bad place.

mogrim

Collado Villalba is pretty good – mountains to the north, and west, big hills to the south and east. Lots of XC and trail riding with a nice mix of technical or easier stuff. Short train journey to Madrid.

epicyclo

Almost anywhere in the Highlands

joemarshall
    Free Member

Mansfield? Did someone seriously suggest Mansfield up there?

Not only is it a complete fighting town and a hole generally, but it’s got no decent riding from the door, the riding near it is flat as a pancake and a draggy mud fest in winter, places like sherwood pines. Oh and it is half an hours drive to the nearest decent riding (peak district).

Given there are loads of way nicer towns in the Peak District itself, with riding from the door, Mansfield is so obviously not the best place to live for riding. Oh and did I mention it’s a complete hole.

rewski
    Free Member

tallgavin – I’m good, yourself? Yes, you’re quite right about Croydon, rode over to your neck of the woods on NDW, nice route. You still doing Sunday shop rides, must get over sometime.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Sorry how can you say Croydon ?

What you mean is the riding isnt as bad as you think and can be accessed from the door if you want. Houses are cheaper than for other parts of south london, there are good transport links and there is employment in the area.

But how can it be the “BEST” mtbing town, when clearly Dorking nearby would be a much nicer place to live and is also closer to the best trails. Obviously house prices are more expensive there but thats because its up there with the “BEST” towns in the SE.

If Croydon was one of the “BEST” towns its house prices etc would also be high.

tallgavin
    Free Member

rewski

All good here. Yep – still doing the Sunday shop rides, great one last weekend, conditions were pretty much bang on. Pitch Hill and Winterfold are well worth a visit if you haven’t been over there for a few months.

rewski
    Free Member

tallgavin – I’ll might borrow my bros Audi and come over 😉

You night riding during the week, weekends are tricky? I’ll email.

owenfs7
    Free Member

Taunton

yossarian
    Free Member

Sheerness or New Romney

cheese@4p

+1 for Halifax or Brighouse even!
    Loads of local riding and well connected.
    Good pubs

johnny

Pangbourne.

River -tick
    Chilterns -tick
    pubs- plenty, -tick.
    all the shops you need day to day, including cheese shop, butchers and uber-comprehensive hardware shop -tick

arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

+1 for Sheerness or New Romney….Though Herne Bay could give those a run for there money

fatboyjon

joemarshall – Mansfield is a great town for mountain biking buying smack, crack and any other class a’s.

I used to pedal an extra 4 or 5 miles on my commute to avoid going through the depressed hell hole that is Mansfield.

As for Ravenshead – smackheads with more trees.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

i’m not saying it’s the best, by any stretch, but at least keighley is not at the bottom of this list. (as it is most others).

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Frome.

Longleat Forest on the doorstep (or on t’other doorstep Asham Woods/Quarry where MBUK do a shedload of shoots), Salisbury Plain and the Mendips 30mins away, Quantocks an hour away.

Cheezpleez

Dorking FTW

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Shipley.

mudshark
    Free Member

I moved to a village near Dorking just to be close to the best riding I could whilst still being able to commute to London. So Dorking is the best town but a village is more appealing to me than a town….

yossarian
    Free Member

Herne bay is too middle class IMO Arthur.

cheese@4p

It’s a long way from Kansas to Keighley Bob!

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

moving up in the world. 😆

failedengineer

Got to be Skipton or Barlick.

arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

yossarian – Member

Herne bay is too middle class IMO Arthur.

I have no audi or BMW…..please explain 😀

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Seeing as we seem to be justifying our own choices, i’ll say Poole 🙂

Year round usable quality trails within easy riding distance (Purbecks, Canford Heath, Wareham Forest, New Forest).

Drivable alternatives (Puddletown, uk bike park etc.).

Quality road riding (New Forest, Purbecks, North of Wimborne).

Brand new full size outdoor velodrome in Bournemouth.
    National standard bmx track in Bournemouth.

VERY healthy riding scene (lots of organised group rides if thats your thing).

Seaside location.
    Better than Swanage to actually live as better work options.
    Bournemouth next door if you want to go on the lash and chase ladies/gentlemen.
    Not that expensive to live (unless you want to be Harry Redknapps next door neihbour in Sandbanks).
    Good bike shops (although no more Bikelab RIP 🙁 ).
    Nice weather (did it snow last winter? Oh yeah, we had half a day of that too and a couple of frosts!)

It’ll do for me.

crispo
    Free Member

Chorley

yossarian
    Free Member

I have no audi or BMW…..please explain

True, kids called Oscar & Betty? Fenwicks storecard? Only you can answer 🙂

Most of the peeps I know in the bay have moved from Whitstable. I kept telling them the houses were cheaper for a reason…After a couple of nights out on the town a slightly desperate look appears on their faces.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I used to live in Buxton and loved the fact I could be on the Pennine Bridleway in a few pedal strokes and then how far I wanted to go was all about how much energy and time I had. Loads of other good stuff a short ride/drive away, including some of the most rocky and testing downhills I’ve ridden anywhere in the UK (well, the Peaks at least). I didn’t realise how good I had it until I moved 10 miles south to Leek where the doorstep – non-cheeky – riding is average at best.

For me any town HAS to have riding on the doorstep i.e. top quality trails accessible for a quick evening ride without having to get in the car or take in lots of road-riding. There’s thousands of towns with good riding a car drive away.

Bakewell anyone?

grum
    Free Member

Massive lols at those suggesting places like Milton Keynes. I would say Ambleside, Keswick or Peebles.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Quality road riding

Well, if we’re counting road riding maybe I will include my home town of Leek. Cheshire plains to the west for easy and long days out, then loads of quiet roads and hills in the other direction(s) and as far as you want into the Peak District. I ride far more on road than off these days and most rides I hardly see any traffic.

youngrob

Peebles all day long.

ransos
    Free Member

Who wants to live in a city anyway? Not me for one.

Bolton (town – pop 262,000) is bigger than Newcastle (city – pop 259,000). So what is it you prefer about towns?

As an aside, I live 15 minutes’ ride from the Bristol trails. Magic.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)

The topic ‘Best TOWNS to live in as a MTBer?’ is closed to new replies.