Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best time for NW Scotchland?
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I'm hoping to get up to NW Scotland at some point this year and I'm looking at early April or early July. Which would be the best balance of weather/midginess? I'd be hoping to get over Bealach na Lice between Achnashellach Stn and Annat and round there.
    Cheers.

13thfloormonk

I usually go for May, typically mid to late may. Midgies are only just getting warmed up and the weather is as reliable as its going to get.

Oh, have just read your post properly. April would offer less midgies but less reliable weather. Given that you can get bad weather in July also I'd go for April and just have some good waterproofs (+ expect it, always less bad for being expected)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

It's Scotland – Who knows what the weather will do! lol

ton

september is awesome
    been for the last 2 year, no rain no midges no people……awesome.

druidh
    Free Member

Of the two, April is likely to be best. Be prepared for some colder weather, and we often get a good dump of snow around that time. The up-side of this is that the hills will be rather resplendent with a good layer of snow either newly fallen, or retained from the winter months. If you can stretch it to late April, things just get better.

July is the start of the (Scottish) school holidays, so the whole place gets a bit busier. It can also be a bit wet, and the midge will be in full flow.

Your other option is late September/October, when we often get a spell of settled, warm weather.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I'd do it in the summer when the weather will be warmer and the days longer. We did that ride a couple of years ago in June I think and the midgies weren't too bad and we were glad of the extra daylight. Take plenty innertubes too.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Thanks all. I might consider September now as well – I might be able to find time to get acroess to Skye then too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best time for NW Scotchland?’ is closed to new replies.