Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Best Thermal Underlay for Laminate flooring.
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Can’t seem to find too much info on different types of Underlay so I’ll ask.
    Going on top a concrete floor so I need to provide reasonably good insulation properties at an even more reasonable price.

I read that some of the thicker stuff is not as good as the really thin gold/silver underlay, Is this correct?

Can I use two layers of underlay or is this likely to cause buckling?

Any help would be great 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, don’t use two layers. The floor will feel bouncier than a normal laminate.

Duralay Timbermate Excel.

/thread.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Duralay Timbermate Excel.

Yeah I looked at this stuff, looks to be the best bet,
    Annoyingly it comes in 10m2 rolls, I need 20.5m2!

Thanks for the advice. 😀

tacopowell
    Free Member

Haha just found some off cuts on ebay! Winner!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Annoyingly it comes in 10m2 rolls

It’s always been in 15sqm rolls for me – but I think that’s trade suppliers’ sizes (bloody heavy if you’re lifting it, so don’t plan on transporting all your flooring and underlay in one go!). Maybe they do DIY sizes in 10sqm (ah just checked the website, and that is the case).

Just buy the two rolls and be frugal…start your roll-outs a few inches from the wall…that’ll probably save you the half a sqm over the room. A roll of cheap duct-tape helps when rolling it out to keep the ends stuck down, although this stuff does tend to lie flat under its own weight. Keep any off-cuts from around fireplaces etc. They’ll come in a handy. A brand new Stanley blade will make your life a lot easier, and as it’s a concrete floor, maybe get yourself a pack of five. 😀

Remember to roll out your underlay perpendicular to the direction you’re running the floor. 🙂

EDIT: crossed posts, sounds like you’re sorted.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Thanks for your advice!

STW forums are always helpful on non Bike-politics topics!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Best Thermal Underlay for Laminate flooring.’ is closed to new replies.