Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best tape to finish bar tape?
  • dirkpitt74

So I need to re-wrap some bars, what’s the best tape to finish the ends off?

neila

None, Vielo wrap from the bar tops to the ends. No tape needed and it looks really clean, not something that’s occurred to me before!

dc1988

I just use electrical tape and it seems to do the job just fine

thepurist

Electrical tape for me – cheap, available in a range of colours (if you must) and does the job just fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Electrical tape +1

Wrapping from the top down does work, but tends to mean it unravels arround the drops eventually as your weight is peeling the edge up rather than smoothing it down.

Aidy
    Free Member

3M Super 88 – “nice” electrical tape. Surprising amount better than pound shop electrical tape.

dudeofdoom

Yep leccy tape seems to give the nicest finish, you’ve got to remember to wrap it the right way round so that its doesn’t unravel when you ride and Calvin has a nice hint for the peeling issue.

Park tools Bar Wrapping

dudeofdoom

+1 for nice tape – used cheapo and it was too thin and stretchy whereas a quality one lets you tension it nicely ,

I suppose its the same with the nice bar wraps, did my exploro with their nice 3t tape and the difference in-between it and a cheapo was stunning and its still going on strong years after.

schmiken

Superglue.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all 👍

TiRed

Electrical tape then finish off with the posh stuff that’s included. Be sure to trim the end of the tape to get a nice flat end too. Don’t forget that it will be from the opposite side of you’ve done things properly and sun metric. And always from the bottom to the top so your hands slide down over the overlaps. With old fashioned ribbon it didn’t matter as this was so thin the overlaps were almost flat. With modern tape it does.

chrisyork

Just to say, if you need more cushioning for your bars I bought some of the spank cushioning pads that go under the bar tape before you wrap it, really bulks the grips out and really works!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.