Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Best supermarket sourced 0% beers
  • spacemonkey

Nanny State, Erdinger and such like are passable IME. If you want to ramp up to a fuller flavour with more depth and richness then you can’t go wrong with a selection from Thornbridge and Big Drop. Marginally more pricey in the high stree but infinitely more like the real thing.

TheFlyingOx

Folk mentioning Erdinger but there’s a better one – Paulaner Hefe-weisbier non-alcoholic.
    Erdinger is OK but still has that slightly offputting alcohol-free taste to it. Paulaner is – to my tastebuds anyway – almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

£1.30 a bottle in Tescos, last time I checked.

tomd
    Free Member

And St. Peters Without is worse than drinking Mr Muscle drain cleaner!!

+1, bought a couple of bottles of that and it was rank, a real chew. Lovely bottle though. It reminded of Kvass – malty and overly sweet. Which is not good. Kvass is a fermented beer-like drink popular in Central & Eastern Europe that’s made from Rye bread. It’s low alcohol and folk seem to go mad for it, but I find it a bit unsettling.

Good tips above on other AF wheat beers, I look for those and if their better than the Erdinger that’ll be my go to post ride drink.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Heineken is really good. Definitely the most drinkable for me and probably the closest to normal beer.

Punf AF or Flat tyre are really good too, that’s the only 3 I drink now and I’ve tried quite a few different ones. Some of them are totally 🤢

edhornby

Morrisons do a Spanish one in a blue can that is drinkable and not too expensive. They seem to be less palatable if they get warm though, and this applies to Erdinger and the Brewdog as well IME.

singletrackmind

It’s most likely the type of sugars they use.
    Erythritol or stevia are both unfermentsble therefore good to use in alcohol free, nab lab beer
    Adds to stability or reduces risk of bottle fermenting creating either bombs or ramping up the abv
    It’s hard to make decent low alcohol beer. By removing the alcohol you strip hop volatiles, alpha and to some degrees mouth feel
    Big drop make nice low alc beer, not my favourites but make a great shandy if mixed 50 50 with lemonade

tnrbilly
    Free Member

Know it’s not beer and probably wouldn’t go with curry very well, but Sheppy’s 0% cider is not bad. My local Tesco sells it.

edhornby

interesting info Singletrackmind, cheers : )

just realised the lame pun after typing there

chewkw
    Free Member

You can get cider for 0.5% from Waitrose but then you are better off just drinking apple juice. 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 for Shipyard Low Tide. Only one I’ve tried that was remotely palatable IIRC. Not bad at all.

swdan
    Free Member

This reminded me that I really liked Lucky Saint 0.5% lager when I had it in a burger place. Now to see if I can track it down anywhere to take home

madhouse

Think lucky saint is in Sainsbury’s.

Punk AF is my current favourite, it uses lactose instead of sugar so you get a better mouthfeel than Nanny State which I find a bit thin. Heard good things about Ghost Ship and if they’ve got it tasting like the regular version it’ll be good.

Just realised I’m typing this while drinking a barley wine 🍻

swdan
    Free Member

Looks like it is, will have to see if my.local one has it next time I’m in

weeksy

Punk AF, horrific after taste. Yukky.

I binned it after 1 gulp and opened a doom bar

patagonian
    Free Member

Tried the M&S Czech lager over the holiday and have to say it reminded me of Kaliber ……..but the Adnams Ghost Ship was very good.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Best supermarket sourced 0% beers’ is closed to new replies.