Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • best sub £30 saddle?
  • spawnofyorkshire

I’ve just bought a new boardman fs team and whilst it is a cracking bike the saddle is f’kin terrible

Can anyone recommend a good saddle for under £30 or know of any good deals at the moment?

GeForceJunky

Charge Spoon, £15 from Wiggle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Charge Spoon, reasonable from any bike shop

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m a fan of the Madison Flux and it’s dirt cheap

andyl
    Free Member

Madison Flux and Charge Spoon are pretty much the same. There is another one too but I have forgotten the name.

spawnofyorkshire

sweet, thanks for the advice folks.

Philby

+1 for the Flux

float
    Free Member

Madison Flux and Charge Spoon are pretty much the same. There is another one too but I have forgotten the name.

something by gusset

mboy
    Free Member

Horses for courses. Personally I find the Spoon/Flux shape a massive PITA literally.

I recommend trying to find an SDG Bel Air at a good price (cromo will do if Ti can’t be found cheap enough) or any Specialized Body Geometry saddle in the right (for your own ass) width. But then they’re what suits my behind, and might not suit yours…

Saddles are all too personal to be fair!

d3fm3ch
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

I use a Rocket V on both my bikes – excellent saddle tbh. I also like the SDG Bel Air.

Tried both a spoon and flux and just didn’t feel right.

Northwind

Spoon, Flux, or Gusset R, depending on which you like the colour of.

Best thing about the spoon is that if you don’t like it, someone’ll buy it for more or less what you paid (I sold a used one for more than it cost new from Wiggle)

They’re not the best saddles ever, but they cost nowt and they’re good, and compatible with most bums.

cp

I used to hate the spoons till I tweaked the position more and found it much more comfortable… So tweak a bit if you’re having comfort issues – fore-aft and angle make a huge difference, particularly with the sculpted profile of the spoon.

colournoise

My favourite. Currently 24 quid.

slainte 😀 rob

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve had a Spoon for about 2 years now. Riding offroad on average 30 miles a week, all weathers.
    Bought it on the principle, it was cheap and had good reviews.
    If it failed it wouldn’t be the end of the world. If breaks or becomes unbearable, i’ll get another one.

spawnofyorkshire

thanks again folks. I just ordered the madison flux for £15 so will see how that goes.

@CP thanks for your advice on tweaking the position due to the sculpted shape, i’ll give it a crack.

spuddle
    Free Member

Spoon! mines been going strong since 2009, averaging 60 – 80 miles a week

stumpy01

2 of my riding mates swear by Charge Spoons, but I hate them. Massively uncomfortable.

I have gone back to a spares bin WTB Rocket until I get round to buying a new one.

Just depends what suits your butt.

binners

The best saddle is the one that best suits your arse. And Arses are all very diferent. Its such a personal thing. its worth riding a couple of your mates bikes who are running different saddles

I love WTB Rocket V’s myself. Though Charge Spoon’s are good too. But, for instance I had one of those Ragley’s that colournoise has suggested, and regarded it as having been specifically designed by Satan himself, to inflict maximum pain on my delicate bits. Its now sat in the shed somewhere

jota180
    Free Member

Spoons [and their derivatives] seem to fit a bigger percentage of arses than most saddles do so you stand a pretty good chance of it being good for you

Northwind

I’ve got one of those ragleys on the road bike, it’s alright but by god does it creak. Also, ymmv but when I had it on the big bike I found the pointy rear of the saddle was absolutely perfect for catching shorts on, not ideal.

Still at that price they’re good value and the saddle-catchy thing wouldn’t have been such an issue on an xc bike or similiar.

Pieface

Flux is a bit thinner than the Spoon I think.

I’ve used both and they’re pretty much identical, apart from the flux not having the stitching that some people find painful

colournoise

Northwind – Member
    I’ve got one of those ragleys on the road bike, it’s alright but by god does it creak. Also, ymmv but when I had it on the big bike I found the pointy rear of the saddle was absolutely perfect for catching shorts on, not ideal.
    Still at that price they’re good value and the saddle-catchy thing wouldn’t have been such an issue on an xc bike or similiar.

Heh, I do have a few occasional creaky issues but assumed it was seatclamp related.

And yeah, if you wear baggy baggies the rear design can be a bit snaggy – catch my Sombrios from time to time, but my Oakleys and Enduras are fine.

Proper answer to the OP I guess is try (borrow/buy cheap) as many as you can until you find a shape you like then buy a decent one and stick to it. I have a box with maybe 5 or 6 saddles in I’ve tried and not really got on with. As well as two Ragleys, I also have a THE Icon Pro and a WTB Shadow V Pro on other bikes and they seem to fit my backside fine too.

slainte ➡ rob

Scamper
    Free Member

Charge Spoon was a bit of a revelation to me as seemed to get rid of various aches while riding.

Rocket 5 was very comfy to sit on but the shape not quite right.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have a 2nd (1 ride only) hand Brown Flux available for sale if interested

£15 posted

fasthaggis

Anybody else think that the Charge saddles have too much grip ?
    I don’t mind the shape,but I feel that it pulls everything about a bit too much.
    Don’t think I would use it on a big day out,smooth FTW,and all that.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Spoon

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘best sub £30 saddle?’ is closed to new replies.