Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • best steel frame hardtail
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Pastey Howler

Both 853.

Sadly both overshadowed but very good?

In all honesty, I found the ‘Howler’ a bit, um, neutral. There was nothing inherently bad about it and I enjoyed the rides I had on it but it never quite made me think, yes! This rocks my world! But then again I am one of the very small number who could never get a decent ‘fit’ on a Soul so it might just have been me.

hora
    Free Member

HeathenWoods- I find that with some cars! The Soul. Wasnt for me but for competent/decent riders its supposed to be spot-on/brilliant.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m currently running a 456 and its a great fit. There’s nothing I’d change about the geometry. But, after riding my friends 853 skinny tubed curtis, I’m looking for something with a little more/spring, give in it at the back end.

Since I’m running a 140 fork, I’m thinking the new Soul when it arrives, a blue pig when it arrives or…?

cakeeater
    Free Member

Surly Instigator – no photos of mine but have a look here:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=surly+instigator
    Great frame, takes a big fork and rides well. I’ve done a few enduro events on mine 10/12 hours and would highly recommend. Check eBay, usually some on there.

hora
    Free Member

http://www.singularcycles.com/bikes.htm

Second pic- that blue is nice!

Has a winner been decided yet?

bent_udder
    Free Member

I was on a ride with someone on one of those Kinesises (Kineses?) the other week. Lovely looking frame, especially when teamed up with white SIDs with the green flash.

hora
    Free Member

Well its not your grammar for sure dialledmike 😉

pjt201
    Free Member

*ahem* it’s *ahem*

jimmy

Have had an Inbred, DMR Switchback, DB Prince Albert, Charge Duster and DB Alpine.

Inbred was nice and comfortable coming from a Chameleon. But too long.
    Switchback was a great ride. But snapped.
    DB PA – see Inbred comments.
    Charge Duster just didn’t feel right but I had been riding a full suss by then so just didn’t bother trying to get used to it.
    Now I ride the DB Alpine all the time. Its ace, just wishing it was a little lighter. A Ti version would be my bike for life (you listening Mike…?).

13thfloormonk

I had begun to believe there was nothing out there to beat my Charge Duster, but i’ve recently been riding a long forked alu hardtail which makes a lot more sense on the bigger hills.

The Charge is still a riot on twisty rooty stuff and short XC blasts.

hora
    Free Member

I recently found love. Its not attractive to look at (Ive always gone for aesthetics first havent I?), however its far far better than the Chumba its replaced 😀

freeridenick
    Free Member

My PA has been down Nan Bield, Helvellyn, around welsh trail centres, twisted through surrey hills singletrack and jumped over doubles. I love it.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

You’re all wrong. My entirely impartial view is that the best steel hardtail is clearly the Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Here’s mine, but that had no bearing on my declaring it the best steel hardtail. Nope. None at all

Nice idea Jimmy (a Ti Alpine) but Ti’s not really on my agenda anymore. Nice to have Ti frames in the line up if I ever have any spare cash to spend but they drain cash flow if they don’t sell quickly and sit in the warehouse for months.

richc
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I recently found love. Its not attractive to look at (Ive always gone for aesthetics first havent I?), however its far far better than the Chumba its replaced

You have sold the chumba already?!? haven’t you only had that a few weeks.

jimmy

Mike – I’ll buy the prototype… 🙂

rs
    Free Member

setavento can build you a sort of Titanium Alpine

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Another vote for the Handjob here – had the older 100mm fork version and now have the new 130mm fork variety.

No problems with the frame, but I’d definitely advise a fork/wheel with a through axle on the front if you’re a heavyweight (I’m 16st). Steel frames tend to flex a bit anyway, and it can all get a bit noodly feeling if you’re riding the fork on a long travel steel hardtail. I stuck a 9mm through axle onto my Revelation, which made enough of a difference for my preferences.

Not ridden one of the long travel On Ones, but I have an older Inbred that now gets used for commuting most days and is a nice ride.

Wozza
    Free Member

As of tomorrow i’ll be a Blizzard owner and therefore the best steel hardtail is the RM Blizzard!! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

if CEN means the end of light compliant steel hardtails I’m not sure if I’d buy another steel ht, weight and feel are factors for me.

bullheart
    Free Member

DMR Trailstar. I like ’em but I don’t find many other folk do. Cheap, fun and takes a fair kicking…

billyboulders
    Free Member

Can’t recommend the 456 highly enough, mines had over 3 years hard (ie clumsy!) riding and still rides as well as it did 1st day hard to beat at the price they are – I have had to bend the hanger back into shape a few times though 😀
    Had a go on a mates alpine round cwmcarn and that was nice too, and would love a BFe when/if the 456 dies. Steel hardtails are great, had a 2-3 year flirtation with full suss bikes but I’ve ridden various steel hardtails since 1990 and I love ’em. Buy one you won’t regret it.

jonb
    Free Member

I thought Setavento went the way of Woolworths?

roper
    Free Member

I ride a Sanderson bike, but don’t let that put you off. It’s a fantastic bike. It is quick off the mark a good climber and has improved my poor descending skills a fair bit too. I have been on it for a 7 hr ride and a 30 min blast and loved both.

Northwind

Obviously there’s no one best frame, everyone wants different things from their bikes, we’re all different shapes and sizes and styles and we do different things with them, and even when we’re doing the same thing we do it different, and even if we do the same thing the same way we don’t want the same things from the bikes we do it on.

So I’ll recommend a Soul, because I’m a fanboy. But there’s loads of good steel frames, I just found the Soul was a perfect match for me, there’s probably others which i’d feel teh same about and obvious there’s others that feel the same about 20 other frames.

Otherwise, it’s hard to argue with a 456, they’re versatile and inexpensive.

compositepro
    Free Member

cynic-al CEN hasn’t really ended the lightweight steel hardtail…it aint dead yet

dirtypiere
    Free Member

A good On-One Steel frame for sale on here,
    see
    FS :- On-One 456 Steel 16″ frame MTB for sale
    great bikes!

rs
    Free Member

doesn’t the CEN testing just require the front end to be beefed up, therefore you can have a big floppy rear if you like.

hora
    Free Member

richc, yep. I kept on taking the Chameleon out in rather than the Chumba even though it took alot out of me. Kinda said to me that I couldnt get quite right on the Chumba (felt too far over the front). Bought the Orange5 and I havent taken the Chameleon out once since.

Blizzards are lovely but your handicapped by the low travel you can run on them? Those Fox’s are 140’s?

iamtheresurrection

brant – Member
    Is it a hardtail? Tick.

Nothing else to it.

Well, it’s good to know you put a lot into your designs… 😉

hora
    Free Member

if CEN means the end of light compliant steel hardtails I’m not sure if I’d buy another steel ht, weight and feel are factors for me

Agree and you dont have to be a competent/skilled-up rider to feel a noticeable weight difference either?! Especially true if you can be really physical with a bike to benefit from a stiff/stronger frame? Alot of question-marks there so don’t shoot me 😉

Bumhands
    Free Member

The best frame is the one that fits you and the
    way you like to ride the best.

All on this thread are the best for somebody.

cynic-al
    Free Member

glad to hear it cp!

IdleJon

stonemonkey – Member

Lanesra – Member

Surely only 853 steel should be classed as pure steel, everything else is a poor imitation, imo

i disagree, plus how many complete 853 bikes are there

Just got a Genesis Altitude 20, 853 frame, complete bike £1100.

It is the best bike I’ve ever owned, but I have a sneaking suspicion that’s because it’s only a week old…… It may be a different story when it needs a bath.

kiwijohn

Best steel HT?

Salsa Ala Carte.

mymorph
    Free Member

well thats certainly given me something to think about. i do like the cotic frames but the on-one is such a good price..shame they dont have any in stock again!ill have to ponder on this and see if i can try a few out here and there.
    cheers

hora
    Free Member

They always sell out for a good reason? Worth the wait IMO 🙂

nickhart
    Free Member

ok so not strictly steel, well not steel at all but it does have the absorption you’re after.

shoefiti
    Free Member

ok so not strictly steel, well not steel at all but it does have the absorption you’re after.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘best steel frame hardtail’ is closed to new replies.