Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • best steel frame hardtail
  • mymorph
    Free Member

looking to build/buy a new bike to throw around cannock chase, starting with a good steel frame, likes of on-one, cotic, orange p7 or cove handjob. i want the bike to be light and nimble, but soak up some vibration etc so alloy is out and i cant afford titanium or carbon. im not going to be racing/jumping (much)

your views welcomed.

Vortexracing

Cotic soul

my two penneth worth anyway.

nuke

on-one, cotic, orange p7 or cove handjob

Buy one, any one; I doubt you’ll be disappointed with any of them tbh.

carlphillips
    Free Member

all depends on budget, you gets what you pays for!!

firestarter
    Free Member

tbh ive had a couple of inbreds and a good few expensive bikes and i think the latest 456 really blows away the gets what you pay for myth 😉 its fantastic for very little money

Keva
    Free Member

rock lobster ?

light and nimble, 115mm rebas on mine.

Kev

nodrog2
    Free Member

PA one of the best if you want a tough do anything, go anyhere HT.

nuke

😆 So far nobody has posted the same suggestion twice. As I say: buy one, any one. I’ve got a PA and an Inbred and I’d be happy with either.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i’ve had a PA, sold it after one ride, just didn’t get on with it.

just try a few and see what you like

rs
    Free Member

DB Alpine

CountZero

There’s Brant’s whizzy new frames to consider as well, tho’ I’m not sure when the steel one, (blue pig?), will be available. I’ve had a Handjob, (careful there), which was a lot of fun, although it was an early 100mm one, and I’ve got two Inbreds, an 853 SS, which I just love to bits, and a 567, which is a real hooligan bike with 160mm Nixons on the front, and a lot of fun as well. An Inbred 456 with a new pair of 150mm RS Revs on would be a real hoot.

Vortexracing

Still using Pikes on that Alpine RS or did you get some bigger forks?

oh and is the riding still as nice as it looks in Canada, you lucky sod?

rs
    Free Member

Yeah, still riding it exactly as in the pic, don’t think there will be any chnages for a while… and yep still enjoying the riding here, duh! 😀

Hairychested
    Free Member

On-One 456 Summer Edition

CheesybeanZ

another vote for the on one , had a PA but i always felt beat up after a ride the on one is much more forgiving imho

brant
    Free Member

First press review of the Blue Pig coming out in What Mountainbike in a couple of weeks.

chorscroft
    Free Member

A Charge Duster

I’m currently selling one.

Here’s it built up:

jonb
    Free Member

regular inbred or cotic soul would probably be adequate. Steel is an alloy. I have a 456 and would probably go standard inbred next time round.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I’ve had 4 inbreds (1 ss, 2 geared, 1 456), cotic soul, pastey howler, prince albert and a rock lobster (but that doesn’t really count cos i seem to remember it a 1″ stem) and a couple of others in the early 90s.

If I had to choose now? For, “a new bike to throw around cannock chase”? PA or 456.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Another +1 for inbreds. I relly enjoy riding mine. Gonna “upgrade” it one day for somehting that’ll take longer forks. Probably a 456 or one of them blue pig things.

Hairychested
    Free Member

If I were to upgrade my 456 SE I’d go for… a smaller 456 SE or… Revell of some sort (just for the heck of it). If money was no object I’d buy a Rocky Mountain though (you can’t beat a loooovely paint-job).

Lanesra
    Free Member

Surely only 853 steel should be classed as pure steel, everything else is a poor imitation, imo

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Lanesra – Member

Surely only 853 steel should be classed as pure steel, everything else is a poor imitation, imo

i disagree, plus how many complete 853 bikes are there

mentalalex
    Free Member

DB alpine there perfect for cannock, i ride mine loads there

mk1fan
    Free Member

Cove Handjob for me – have an Inbred too which is very good.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cove Handjob..

Great fun.. 😛

funkynick

Lanesra – Member

Ummmm… what exactly is pure steel?

To the OP… any of those bikes would be fantasitc, I’ve got an Inbred and I love it.

juan
    Free Member

So have we found it then? The best steel hardtail I mean

hora
    Free Member

I say look at these two for Cannock:

Sanderson Life
    http://www.independent100.com/life_853.html
    Pastey Howler

Both 853.

Sadly both overshadowed but very good?

456 definitely- Summer season would be too slack though for Cannock?!!

Mackem

I believe the new P7 is going to be 853.

Just try a few out, I’m a big p7 fan, its very versatile, not the lightet but it feels quick and its forgiving enough for all day rides to be comfortable.

funkynick

Juan… yep, I have, but it’s mine and you can’t have it… 😆

hora
    Free Member

P7? Oo yes another! There is the Chromag’s but who would pay 1k for a steel frame?

scruff
    Free Member

Aything really for the Chase, most steel frames are good these days and the seatpost and saddle will affect comfort as much as a frame. 456, PA, Souls, Handjob P17s are relatively common for a good reason. DB Alpines are the best though, but not really available at the moment and require expert pilots 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Genesis? They are supposed to be really good? Plus the new CERN frames- stronger? Aye but heavier? When a steel frame is getting close to 6lb I’d rather buy a full suss frame. The hardtail starts to lose some of its appeal to me (part of the apeal of a hardtail is lighter weight no?).

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/series/alpitude

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/series/core

BigJohn

Alloy is not out. I doubt you’d tell the difference.

maxray
    Free Member

I used to have a 456 till it got pinched and am a Cannock regular, it was perfect. Been looking at one of these though as considering another steel frame to replace my alu hardtail.

Swappable dropouts so can be run geared or ss without a tensioner.. ummmm 🙂

Anyone ridden one?

maxray
    Free Member

Its a Kinesis Virsa by the way 🙂

Kinesis Decade Bikes

brant
    Free Member

(part of the apeal of a hardtail is lighter weight no?).

No.

hora
    Free Member

Direct feel? Tick
    Instant power transfer? Tick
    Simplicity? Tick
    Weight advantage? Tick

brant
    Free Member

Is it a hardtail? Tick.

Nothing else to it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘best steel frame hardtail’ is closed to new replies.