Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • best SS hardtail money can buy?
  • aw
    Free Member

I have a bit of redundancy and was wondering what people would recommend as the best single speed hardtail if money was no object.

I have the SS bug in a serious way having four at present.

For MTB I have an old converted kona cindercone (97) and a 2007 kona unit 2-9.

for road I have a converted crosser (alan Topcross frame) and a SE Lager.

I like the feel of the cone so something along those lines would be good.

As money is no object would it be best to go Ti?

Daffy

Proabably a Ti29er

Maybe an Indy fab? or a new Lynsky? Ask Berni, he’s got a Lynsky 29er.

Do a search for his username.

aw
    Free Member

Thanks Daffy…if it was not a 29er?

JoB
    Free Member

i’d have a posh steel version of my Explosif with little tweaks to make it ‘mine’, but that’s just me, your criteria might be different

Woody
    Free Member

By no means the most expensive but a Plowboy would be my frame choice in a ‘money no object’ custom build.

Simple and lovely

aw
    Free Member

looks nice woody… is it 853 steel?

singlespeedstu

If you want to splash out some cash there’s loads of people out there that’ll build you whatever you want.
    Think IF, Merlin, Seven, Kent Ericson, Black Sheep, Wolfhound…..

Maybe have a look on MTBR singlespeed forum for some ideas.

juan
    Free Member

The one you will enjoy riding the most…
    Might not even be the most expensive
    Best

flying_spar
    Free Member

How about a custom build on the Whyte 19 Titanium frameset, those adjustable dropouts let you run singlespeed quite neatly. Alloy frame is not bad either. Not cheap though but very nice.

Whyte 19 Ti

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Litespeed Obed Ti?

Daffy

Probably (well for me anyway) I’d have a look at the new Ibis Tranny or the Van Nicholas Zion if i were buying a 26" Singlespeed and had the money spare.

Daffy

Since Stu is posting here – the obvious choice for the ultimate Ti singlespeed is a "Jones" but I have no idea how they ride having never even seen one never mind sat on one.

Stu – You’ve got the 2* Blacksheep and the Jones, Is the Jones demonstrably better?

ski
    Free Member

Have you got a local frame builder near to you?

I would be tempted myself to go down the custom route with a local frame builder, something in 853 would be nice.

Is Reynolds 953 tubing available yet in in mtb size tubing?

If so, money no object 😉

keavo
    Free Member

niner sir9. highly praised, even by uk mag mtbreview.

AndyP
    Free Member

A custom-built Ti version of my steel Explosif.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

keavo – Member
    niner sir9. highly praised, even by uk mag mtbreview.

Good luck getting hold of one, I ordered a Godzilla Green on on 8th September, the estimated delivery time being 6 weeks, but to ring for a more accurate estimate. Was told 2 weeks – well chuffed.

STILL WAITING NOW, should be here early bext month, (it will now be Rootbeer in colour) but I’ve heard that a few times already!!

keavo
    Free Member

PikeBN14, sorry to hear that. i’ve had one for 2 years, i think it will be worth the wait.

llama

custom built from someone you can talk face to face with

not bothered about ti, nice steel would do

add parts to suit your preference

ianpinder
    Free Member

what about a jones, they are about 4 grand if not more

one_bad_mofo

I’ve got a SS rigid DogsBolx from Roberts that’s eight years old now and it’s still the first choice on any ride, so I’d go for the same geometry but made in titanium. Ooh and made with disc mounts too.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’d like a Jones, for riding round town, and leaving locked up outside places.

I’m sure it would ride really well around the streets, from what I’ve read about it, and it looks so gash, no-one would want to nick it…

Oh, and you could stick a basket on’t front, for when you go shopping.

Woody
    Free Member

LOL @ Rudeboy – looks aren’t everything and isn’t the waiting list years long ?

Some Plowbow reviews HERE and other Soulcraft reviews for the geared version HERE. Main website HERE

singlespeedstu

Daffy.

Only got one Sheep now. :o(

And yes the Jones is head and sholders above it in ride quality.

And you can stick a basket on the front if you’re that way enclined….. 😛

He was asking about a hardtail though and as the Jones custom list is closed it doesn’t matter how much money you’ve got to play with you ain’t getting one.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Dekerf Solitaire looks nice to me, tho’ I’ve actually always regretted selling my old (’96) Cindercone! Out of interest, anyone know if Dekerf were/are available thru Sideways?

PikeBN14
    Free Member

keavo – Member
    PikeBN14, sorry to hear that. i’ve had one for 2 years, i think it will be worth the wait.

Came very close to getting my money back, but in the email discussion I had with the supplier he mentioned another review in the Jan What Mountain Bike mag, so I got it and decided to hang on, everyone that knows anything about them say the same thing! They have now gone up £170 so that was another reason for not cancelling!!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m quite please with my 19 TI, I’ll be even more pleased when the chainset arrives. The importer has already sold out of certain sizes BTW.

aw
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments and help chaps 🙂

ianpinder
    Free Member

nicolai have a nice solution to single speeding their bikes. £1100 for an alu hardtail frame tho….

keavo
    Free Member

"what mountain bike" thats what i meant, don’t know why i typed mtbreview. must be something to do with my age!
    i was quite surprised by that review. not becuase they loved the bike but because uk mags seem to be generally very negative towards 29ers.

aw
    Free Member

bump

aw
    Free Member

to replace this…

epicyclo

Don’t rule out the Genesis IO. It has very good handling and punches well above its weight.

You can get the complete bike on special for £330! Spend the money on better brakes and wheels, and use what’s left over to take you and the bike to somewhere interesting for a riding holiday 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

2nd the Genesis. OK, it’s not big bucks, but I’ve got an 853 steel geared version and it’s the best handling hardtail I’ve ridden in a long time!

Simon-E

A mate of mine tried the Genesis Altitude bikes and thought they were great value. He reckoned they felt like a nice take on classic Kona geometry.

Someone has already mentioned the iO but there’s also the 853 and Ti. Both are available as complete bikes or frameset. Don’t appear to have horizontal dropouts, though.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Custom ti frame. Big front wheel, little back one. Slidey disc drop out. Clean lines. Weighs nothing. Everything you could ask for really.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Even better with the correct link.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘best SS hardtail money can buy?’ is closed to new replies.