Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Best solution for organising and playing audio files
  • hmanchester
    Free Member

I’ve got a large collection of music on my desktop computer.

I also have a decent Cambridge Audio stereo amp and Wharfedale speakers.

What I would like to do is have it as a standalone setup to organise and play the files and not be plugged into the desktop. Maybe all the files on maybe an external hard disk with a cheapo android tablet interface? Are there any other solutions that people use? Something wireless would be ideal.

Any help much appreciated – I’m sure there’s a good option out there but it’s not staring me in the face.

zokes
    Free Member

As you said “best”, I’d have to suggest this:

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/naimuniti

Suggest you investigate the concept of a second mortgage though!

hmanchester
    Free Member

That might be a bit out of kilter with the rest of my setup! Nice kit thought.

It’s a decent amp and speaker set, that I’ve got, for a non audiophile. I’ve got the music – I just need the bit in between.

BigJohn

You’ll need some form of Digital Analogue Converter (DAC). Bluetooth based solutions may compress the sound too much. Sonos is a fairly good quality one that has a lot of nice extras that you may find attractive.

stumpy01

NAS Drive with a digital media player hooked up to the amp & speakers?

Something like this…

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-9428-denon-dnp720ae-wireless-networked-media-player.aspx

which will also accept a stream from a tablet or phone.

I think some of them have a drive in them, so you don’t need the NAS as a separate unit…

hmanchester
    Free Member

Yes, I don’t think Bluetooth is going to give me a great sound.

That Denon thing looks decent. I’m not bothered about having to get the music wirelessly from the desktop, in fact I’d be happier with something hard drive based that I could connnect to with phone/tablet. If that makes sense.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Best solution for organising and playing audio files’ is closed to new replies.