Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Best ski gloves?
  • Ceebug
    Free Member

Which are the best ski gloves (must be gloves, not mitts) for my sister who suffers from cold fingers. Budget £50.

Thanks…

jfletch
    Free Member

Gore-Tex is worth it’s weight in gold for ski gloves IMO. At £50 I’d be looking for anything with Gore-Tex with a tough palm, wrist cover things and a strap for tightening.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

+1 for Gore-Tex.

Liners might help if she struggles with the cold.

speed12
    Free Member

I’d actually say the opposite and say that generally Gore-tex isn’t worth it for Ski-gloves. Snow isn’t actually wet so you don’t really need waterproof gloves, but do need them to be water resistant and breathable so I’d reccomend a soft-shell pair from one of the mountain kit companies (Rab, Mountain Equipment etc). Tough palm is a good shout though and a guantlet style is generally best for ski gloves.

SOmething such as:

http://www.roughgear.co.uk/p-518-rab-back-country-glove.aspx is nigh on perfect IMO. Mega breathable, water resistant enough for snow, removable liner if it does get damp, and the liner is ThermalPro which is incredibly warm. And all under budget. Sorted!

peterfile
    Free Member

Skytec Argon

£5 a pair

🙂

She won’t win any awards for coolness on the slopes though!

nealglover
    Free Member

I would agree that GoreTex isn’t essential unless you are talking about beginners who will spend a lot of time on the ground getting their hands in the snow.

I gave up insisting on GoreTex gloves years ago and haven’t had cold hands since.

My current fave, and for probably the last 15 years, have been various different Hestra Gloves.
    Depending on the conditions, I have a few pairs.

They do one with called the “Falt Guide” glove which is super warm, slightly over budget but worth every penny. I’ve had mine for probably 7 years and they have had some hammer, but still going strong.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have got a pair of these for this season as my old gloves were crap. No idea how warm they will be but they look pretty cool.

http://whitelines.mpora.com/news/product_guide_part_2.html#Oakley

peterfile
    Free Member

What about some some Dachstein Mitts, can’t imagine you’d get much warmer than those. Stick over a waterproof shell (i use gortex tuff bags) if need be (although you really don’t need another layer!)

Pretty cheap too.

jfletch
    Free Member

I would agree that GoreTex isn’t essential unless you are talking about beginners who will spend a lot of time on the ground getting their hands in the snow.

There are lots of ways to get your gloves wet other than falling over. Carrying SKIs in gondola queues, powder, snowballs, sitting down waiting for slow coaches.

But yes unless I was a beginner I’d value breathabiliy over waterproofness as I’m a sweaty mess. But I’d not go to something with no waterpoofing at all.

nealglover
    Free Member

There are lots of ways to get your gloves wet other than falling over. Carrying SKIs in gondola queues, powder, snowballs, sitting down waiting for slow coaches.

There are, but I somehow manage to stay nice and dry and warm 🙂

Maybe the fact that I’m not relying on waterproof gloves (that won’t be waterproof anyway) means I subconsciously avoid doing things that would cause a problem.

nbt

Hestra always get good reviews for keeping hands warm. If cold is the issue, then using mitts rather than gloves will help enormously

jools182
    Free Member

gore tex seems to help with keeping my hands warm as well as dry

I’d say try and get some gore tex ones

cmjdavies
    Free Member

+1 for Goretex (or fully other waterproof technology)
    +1 for liners if it’s really cold

Also, worth buying when you get there as you get the foreign brands that are often practical and functional but not sold over here. I have a great pair of Gore Tex gloves by a brand caller Racer that I bought in France for E40 and they are the best I’ve ever had

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Inners are the key for VFM ski gloves. There is an amazing mark up on ski gloves that seems hard to justify IMO. I tend to use climbi gloves. Ahhh, Dachsteins….that takes me back. I used to think how silly/uncool to wear them skiing. Then I tried I for two seasons and my hands have never been treated so well. The king of moutain gloves. Currently use a pair of ME climbing mira plus liners, both bought in sale.

Dachsteins at £20, that is a bargain, if an uncool or cool/retro llook!!!

duffle
    Free Member

Gore-tex…..no too worried but I rate the last two pairs of gloves that have had primaloft insulation. I’ve had the end of the fingers of the gloves frozen and fingers inside still been reasonably warm not sure how that worked but wasn’t complaining!!

rj2dj
    Free Member

I swear by my Level gloves, very warm, waterproof and breathe-able enough.

The thing to watch for on ski gloves is that they have strong stitching on the inside of the index fingers next to the thumb – most skiers will pick their skis up by wrapping their hands around the sharp edges and gradually cut the inside of that index finger to shreds. You wouldn’t pick a knife up like that so it’s madness really, but lots of people do it!

footflaps

I quite like Ami Chaud Gore Tex gloves, been using them for skiing and climbing for decades.

Ceebug
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice folks. She is an experienced skier and insists that it must be gloves, not mitts (I do appreciate mitts are generally warmer). I will check out the suggestions when I get in from work…

DezB
    Free Member

+1 for Level

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Keep your eyes on TK Maxx for Level or Hestra (The latter being very unlikely!)

DaKine Titans are an excellent choice, if a fraction over budget!

igrf
    Free Member

Has she considered Trigger mitts, bit of both worlds?

And the reason you need Gore or some similar breathable membrane is that your hands have twice as many sweat producing pores than any other part of the body, each hand produces enough millitres of moisture to fill a small vial every hour, hands are basically temperature controllers for the whole body, so when its working they are trying to cool it down hence how they get cold, quicker than anywhere else in action sports. It is one thing, like boots, that is worth spending good money on, cold hands can ruin your day.

I know all this from years of being a successful Glove and Ladies Handbag salesman.

Because like all Brits after a good days ski/snowboarding you go to the bar, get pissed and leave them behind and have to buy some more to keep folks like me in business… 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member
    fogliettaz
    Free Member

alexxx – Member
    http://www.arco.co.uk/products/1255600?gclid=CLHmhbGQl58CFWlr4wod513HJA

Thats what I wear, usually less than 15 euros in Weldoms and other good French diy chains, never had cold hands yet!

Ceebug
    Free Member

Joolsburger – hahaha I love that site. The cat one is also hilarious…..

nealglover
    Free Member

And the reason you need Gore or some similar breathable membrane is that your hands have twice as many sweat producing pores than any other part of the body

I would agree on the idea of needing ski gloves to be breathable.

I would disagree that this means you need to have a waterproof/breathable membrane.

Leather and cotton or wool are all more breathable than Goretex, and a combination of leather outer and cotton or wool inner work perfectly well.

Ceebug
    Free Member

the ‘Missing Missy’ one….

mefty
    Free Member

The guide I used to use in Chamonix called Goretex Wettex, he recommended I replace my soaking wet goretex gloves with some leather palmed Hestras, I did, I am still very happy with them 11 years later.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Best ski gloves?’ is closed to new replies.