• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by HB47.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best shoes for us with flat pedals
  • HB47

My old shoes have finally given up the ghost, any recommendations for a good shoe for use with flat pedals ? ( the soles of most running shoes seem too rigded )

Ta

Liftman

Five tens

mikey74
    Free Member

**RIGID**

Right, spelling lesson out of the way.

If you are good with flat pedals and don’t do much xc on them, then most skate shoes will do. However, if you do any sort of distance then you want something more rigid than most skate shoes, so something like the 5:10 Karver or the new Shimano ones (AM41?).

I personally use the Karvers and can strongly recommend them.

HB47

Thanks for the advice on spelling and shoes. Will now try to find a London stockest to have a proper look. I used to use 5:10s for climbing and they always had the best rubber technology going.

seosamh77
    Free Member

anything with softish soles, not too soft mind as the pins will rip them to shreds..

bella
    Free Member

if you don`t like the munster looks of the five tens then think about the guide tennie approch shoe. Also be five ten and not quite as secure as the bike specific ones but very good. I use both.

HB47

Anyone know any shops in central London whcih stock the 5:10 – finding nothing on the net

ampthill

rigded

I assumed this was a new word (and a good one) for to many rigs

running shoes aren’t too RIGID are they

_tom_
    Free Member

Orchid Cobra lows are on sale at source bmx and are so comfy. Way better than my trusty old Vans and Etnies, actually.

dangerousdan
    Free Member

Five Tens are unbelieveable – i rode in Vans for years and was genuinely shocked when i switched. theyre so grippy i once had to stop, reposition my foot and then set off again!

sambob
    Free Member

5:10s are made of cardboard (not joking) so will get ruined if you ride in them in the rain. My shimano AM40’s lasted a year in the peaks before i switched to spd’s and are still in superb condition.

jedi

emerica, vans, etnies

mikey74
    Free Member

5:10s are made of cardboard (not joking) so will get ruined if you ride in them in the rain.

I’ve used mind in all weathers, including riding down streams in mid November at the Gethin dh track, S Wales, and never had anything but warm, dry feet.

Northwind

I had 5 10s, they were decent- tons of grip. But thick soles, and fell apart after one winter. They soak up water like a sponge then seemed to rot. And Sambob’s spot on, the inner sole of mine was cardboard, that might be OK in a £10 Tesco trainer but in a £90 outdoors shoe it’s just ridiculous. You get the feeling the designers live in a desert.

Got Shimano AM40s now, they’re better in every way, except they have slightly less grip. They do have more grip than they need though, so for me it’s a nonissue. 5 10 inspire a bit more confidence with the glued-on feel but with any halfway suitable shoe- Shimano, 5 10, Vans, Etnies, whatever- your foot will only slip if you screw up and lift, and if you screw up your foot will lift regardless of shoe.

I’m perfectly happy riding in my ancient clapped out worn out Vans tbh. But if I was buying shoes today it’d be the new Shimanos.

dangerousdan – Member

theyre so grippy i once had to stop, reposition my foot and then set off again!

Sounds rubbish :mrgreen:

dangerousdan
    Free Member

I think its me that’s rubbish…

Five Tens and Superstar Nano Techs are the mutt’s nuts!

HB47

Thanks to all for the advice – off to the shops tomorrow.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best shoes for us with flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.