Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best shoe for flats and winter – you recommendations pls
  • skydragon
    Free Member

I’ve been using a pair of Adidas trainers on flat pedals and it’s time to replace them.

I do quite a lot of riding across my local fells, where it can be wet in winter (…and in summer!) the trainers work ok, but I end up with sodden feet after most rides.

Ideally I’m looking for something that grips well on flats (with spikes/pins) is comfortable and keeps your feet dry when peddling through deep puddles/streams etc, plus gives enough grip when walking and carrying the bike through muddy conditions.

fwiw I’m UK size 11/12

Any recommendations welcome. Cheers.

z1ppy

MT91’s and gaiters?

cinnamon_girl

Have you considered waterproof socks?

skydragon
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Preferably I’d want something more lightweight than the MT91’s for regular use.

I had thought about waterproof socks the other day, but having never tried them, I wasn’t sure if they were a good option for cycling. Perhaps I should try them

cinnamon_girl

I swear by my SealSkinz but others hate them. Your footwear will need to be a size bigger due to the thickness of Sealskinz. I wear 5:10s and they take forever to dry.

Edit: 5:10s are now available in a more lightweight version.

johnners
    Free Member

For me it’s whatever waterproof approach mid boot I’ve seen on offer when I need new ones. Currently some tnf Goretex things. The pins do tend to tear up Vibram a bit.

ratadog

I use a pair of Innov 8 Roclite boots. Goretex so waterproof, sole works well with flats, lightweight and comfortable and works for hike a bike. Have stood up well to use and can take a decent pair of socks for winter insulation. Details here and can be found on ebay if you get lucky.

skydragon
    Free Member

Those innov 8 Roclites look the business, thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve given up trying to find the right shoes, even with sealskinz, it’s more about keeping wet feet warm rather than trying to keep them dry.

It all falls down when you realise that it’s not water soaking through that makes your feet wet but what contacts above and runs down. Best bet is waterproof trousers with long sealskinz underneath. However, dressed like that, your waterproof socks will probably fill up with sweat anyway.

VanHalen

The problem I have with waterproof socks and shoes is that if you ride in actual rain they just fill up with water as water just runs down yr leg. I think teva had the right idea with the links. Make it dry quick and let the water out. I use a random collection of shoes. I use disco slippers or some thinly padded skate shoes when it’s properly raining.

Clink

Surely those Inov8s are too flexible for cycling any distance?

vondally
    Free Member

Lightweight hiking boots or a /crag/approach shoe, use a merino sock for warmth and use with with flats.
    Stiff enough for pedalling, fine for walking with the bike, deals with rocks better than skate sshoes and soles work well with flat pedals.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Shimano am41 very weather proof with sealed flap over laces and sticky vibram sole. Have a pair of size 47 i could post for £30

Same as these
    http://www.cyclelane.co.uk/m2b0s68p7073/SHIMANO-AM41-flat-sole-shoes-2014

ratadog

Rigid soled road shoes they ain’t but I find them fine with flats doing 4-5 hour rides and they tick all the OP’s other boxes. I got put on to them by a review in WMB a few years ago when they used them on a moorland photo shoot and raved about them on the bike and off.

I think they are aimed in part at the adventure racing crowd.

Twin
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWF-3mm-NEOPRENE-SOCKS-SOXS-Adults-Kids-Junior-kayaking-sailing-fishing-/300596666091?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Scuba_SnorkellingEquipment_SM&var=&hash=item45fcf51eeb#ht_1732wt_904
    Great in the winter – if it’s really cold then extra socks on top. Full wetsuit effect – the water gets in and warms up and keeps your feet warm.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

ratadog – Member
    Rigid soled road shoes they ain’t but I find them fine with flats doing 4-5 hour rides and they tick all the OP’s other boxes. I got put on to them by a review in WMB a few years ago when they used them on a moorland photo shoot and raved about them on the bike and off.

I think they are aimed in part at the adventure racing crowd.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

My fav trainers for riding in are currently Nike running trainers, sole super flexible but have no issue on all dayers.

DeeW
    Free Member

Blatant plug but Sombrio Shazam X are perfect in the wet. Now discontinued but I have a pair in a UK 8.5 for sale in the classifieds.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

AM41s and waterproof socks…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best shoe for flats and winter – you recommendations pls’ is closed to new replies.