Best Route – Richmond out to Box Hill

Home Forum Bike Forum Best Route – Richmond out to Box Hill

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best Route – Richmond out to Box Hill
  • Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

Take a look at the Kingston Wheelers website in the club runs section. There’s the routes for various runs out into the Surrey Hills taking in Boxhill and various other popular bits.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

have a look here for Bh routes, although they say surbiton they start at just outside kingston;

http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/clubrun.shtml

rewski

Maybe do the olympic route, you do know Box Hill will definitely not be quite, MAMIL city. You thought about East Surrey Hills, Woldingham, Titsey Hill, Westerham, Toys Hill, Croakham Hill.

LHS

Thanks, yes understand the MAMIL infestation at wknds, hence why my MAMIL friends have specifically requested to swarm there to join there fellow kind!!

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Subscriber

If you have a Garmin and an e-mail address then I can provide you with the route I use.

There are a couple of dual carriageways on it, but I don’t feel unsafe on them. It is about 65km to Box Hill and 35km back to RP.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

My roadie mates do something more like the Oylmpic Course which joins the Surrey Hills further west (Staples Lane near Newlands Corner) having ridden quieter roads through villages south of M25, then cross cross a few times to get some climbing in before box hill.

brooess

Take them up Toys Hill – you’ll soon find out their true mettle 🙂

rewski

Thanks, yes understand the MAMIL infestation at wknds, hence why my MAMIL friends have specifically requested to swarm there to join there fellow kind!!

Fair enough 😀

BTW – I’m a MAMIL too but hide in the forest and keep my lycra well hidden.

aP

Go out through Hampton Court, East Molesey, Weybridge, edges of Woking, Ripley, Staples Lane, Ranmore Common then to Box Hill.
    You don’t want the shortest route surely?

LHS

Got a few friends in town this weekend with their road bikes and having not ridden mine for a while was wondering whether any of you London folks can describe the best route out to Dorking / Box hill from Richmond area. I’m thinking that its probably out through Richmond Park, Hampton Court, Esher, Oxshott, Leatherhead, Dorking. Any tips, great roads which are quiet etc?

thanks.

LHS

They’ll be ok with a route up to about 55/60miles so sounds good.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Go out through Hampton Court, East Molesey, Weybridge, edges of Woking, Ripley, Staples Lane, Ranmore Common then to Box Hill.

+1, that’s a good route.
    Back in via Tadworth, Epsom, Wimbledon.

brooess – Member

Take them up Toys Hill – you’ll soon find out their true mettle

Is it worse than Chalk Pit Lane?

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

It’s a lot longer than Chalk Pit Lane but it doesn’t have that horrible bit where you go round a blind corner then see a sign that says 20%!

There’s a whole host of tough climbs up that ridge. My old cycle club used White Lane only a couple of miles along from Chalk Pit Lane as its annual club hill climb champs.

brooess

I think so. Probably as steep but longer.
    And as it’s straight you can see the pain laid out neatly ahead of you which is mentally tough when you first see it.

Shows you who’s proper strong and who’s all mouth and no trouser

brooess

Hogtrough is another ‘fun’ one.
    My dad used to ride it in the 50s and said only one of his riding buddies made it up

I will have try that white lane, that’s a new one on me. I will stop hijacking this thread now!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best Route – Richmond out to Box Hill’ is closed to new replies.