Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best Route in Scotland?
  • clowner
    Free Member

Got a long weekend coming up and am looking for the best circular route the country has to offer.

Any recommendations

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Best in what way? Gnarliest singletrack? Most scenic? Best ratio of ride to walk?

How many miles do you want to do?

For example I really like the Beinn A ghlo circuit but that is mainly doubletrack with a few miles of singletrack. 35 miles and 5000 ft of climb.

Contrast that to Carn Ban Mor – only 8 miles or so but 2000+ ft of climb – but with a great 3 mile singletrack descent

Or the Ben Alder circuit – some fantastic singletrack but a hour long climb carrying your bike

julesf7
    Free Member

Hm, in terms of epic rides, the route in Torridon from Kenny Wilson's book has to rank highly… some amazing views and pretty relentless riding, with fantastic descents. Did it 2 weeks ago out of the youth hostel in Torridon, finishing up at the Torridon Inn for beer; superb. GPX-file available if you want it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    julesf7
    Free Member

Double post, sorry

StirlingCrispin

I'd say the Tour of the Cairngorms (which is done by most people over 3 days).

But for a day ride you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above (although not done Carn Ban Mor)

sillyoldman

To the pub and back.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Second the Torridon/Achnashellach route. More routes around the Cairngorms than you could do in 2 weeks, either from Aviemore or Braemar. Get the Kenny Wilson book for ideas

gusamc
    Free Member

I found the Isle of Harris to be pretty impressive, two loops there but it's a pain to get to.

**Blag – Jules any chance I could have a copy of the gpx – Scotland next year hopefully, mail is <profilename>at<notcoldmail>.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best Route in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.