Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Best road helmets?
  • driedchris
    Free Member

Hi, Im looking to buy a new helm as I have found a hair line fracture in the polystyrene towards the rear of my Giro Ionos.

Now I don’t want to spend another £135 on a helm so was wondering what helm is good value for money.

Thanks

jam-bo

Giro savant looks pretty tidy. £40 online seems to be the cheapest. Think ill be getting one next month.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I find the Bell range at Halfords are comfortable and not too expensive. They’re one of few brands that fit my big fat head.

cp

I’d say the one that fits/is most comfortable – there’s a surprising variation in the fit of different brands.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

giro used to offer an excellent crash replacement scheme

email them for the price list – it used to be the case you don’t have to do like for like, just send them your old one and pay 1/2 price or less for a new one from their current range.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Try the Boardman Pro Carbon, lots on ventilation, light and same kind of fit as Giro helmet if you have that shape head. It wouldn’t surprise if it was made by Giro.

GrahamS

Quite liking the Specialized S3 I got the other week. Very light and airy.

Bought it in preference to a Giro Atmos as the strap system seemed to suit me better on the S3.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/helmets/road-helmets/s3

(Has a removable peak – handy if you like winding up roadies)

RustySpanner

There’s a some bargain Met lids on the On One site at the mo.

A few places are doing the Giro Monza for under £50.00 too. Nicest lid I’ve used for ages – much better than the E2 it replaced.
    It’s a roadie lid, but I use it for everything. Highly recommended.

m1kea
    Free Member

I’ve never understood what’s different about MTB lids, aside from a peak.

My oldest Met Strad gets used as the MTB lid as the pads are knacked and I tend to wear a headband with it. It also has a Diablo or Joystick permanently mounted.

T’other Strad is used on the road.

Do I fail the STW rad gnarr cool check?

FuzzyWuzzy

Firstly – misleading topic title, you want the best budget helmet not best helmet :p
    Secondly – as has been said, fit comes first – what might be best on paper (weight/features) might not suit you so pointless recommending it.
    All I’d say is put Kask lids (Vertigo etc.) on your shortlist, depending on how much of a budget you’re on – they seem to suit a lot of people (although not me!)

Sam

Crash replacement on your Giro?

cyrilswan
    Free Member

Bought a Lazer O2 last week in matt black.
    ‘Tis a beauty, and at £60 was great VFM.

RichT

Very impressed with my Giro Savant.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I got a Catlike Whisper from EBC for £80, it’s light, really comfy and very well vented. I really like it but looks are different.

GrahamS

Catlike Whisper

Hmmm..

Can’t look at that helmet without thinking about the “South American larvae breast rash” photo *shudder*

(not a picture I’m about to post here but you’ll find it on google/snopes.com if you’re interested.. and you’re not at work)

jonk

I have a Catlike Vacuum which is better looking than the whisper and just as cool. It also comes with a peak which i like for sunny days.

Haze

Rudy Project Sterling?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

+ 1 for Specialized S3

It’s light, comfy, excellent cradle & strap system & imo looks good on 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

Has ET gone home?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve never understood what’s different about MTB lids, aside from a peak.

Venting angles, mainly.

MTB lids are designed for lower speeds, so have more horizontal venting to allow heat to rise out of them. This also means there’s less chance of a low handing branch getting snagged in there.

Road lids are more geared to the higher speeds, and so are more about getting air to flow across the head to keep the rider cool.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Savant
    Cheap, light and looks fine – road helmets never look good.

crikey
    Free Member

Venting angles, mainly.

MTB lids are designed for lower speeds, so have more horizontal venting to allow heat to rise out of them. This also means there’s less chance of a low handing branch getting snagged in there.

Road lids are more geared to the higher speeds, and so are more about getting air to flow across the head to keep the rider cool.

Is there any evidence to suggest this is the case, because it seems a little far fetched to me?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Crikey, this was from talking to the design bods at the likes of Giro, Spesh, Mavic and Kask.

I reckon they know their onions!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Have a Giro mtb helmet as they always seem to fit me well. Got a Met road helmet and it fits even better. Nothing too fancy a £60 job from Planet X and has better quality straps and finish than the Giro too. Just got a Met mtb for my son and it great with a built in LED flashing light in the rear strap adjuster too. Great idea.

mboy
    Free Member

If they fit your bonds, there’s nothing to touch a KASK. So well made, so comfortable, they feel like a step above anything from the likes of Giro, MET, Specialized etc.

Not cheap mind! Even the entry model is £80. The Mojito, the one that Brad uses, is £120 (he doesn’t use the £169 Vertigo), and its incredible!

But then again, it they don’t fit your head, then they’re no use. So to be honest, whatever fits the best and is the most comfortable for you!

But try a KASK out, if it fits, you’ll buy it!

crikey
    Free Member

Crikey, this was from talking to the design bods at the likes of Giro, Spesh, Mavic and Kask.

Hmmm. Still not that convinced I’m afraid. Sounds very much like ‘This is why you need a different helmet for mountain biking rather than road biking’.

Load of old bollocks, basically. 😉

IanW
    Free Member

Also In the market for new roadie lid.

Searching for a design that doesn’t have sponge padding and as such wont soak up the sweat and turn cold. Anyone know of a design that uses gel or something non absorbent?

aracer
    Free Member

Are you sure the people you talked to didn’t also work in marketing? MTB helmets I’ve seen just appear to have less venting than high end road ones.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes.

Crell
    Free Member

I bought a Kask from OnOne recently and I’m really impressed with it. It’s the most comfortable lid I’ve ever owned. The venting is good as well but I have noticed the lack of continuous foam padding across your brow means I do get a fair bit of sweat dripping down when I’m (occasionally) working hard (but with the benefit that it isn’t a massive sponge at the same time).

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like the Savant, all Specialized less so bar that £160 one, I hate the Catlike and Endura ones.

This is all based on how they fit me.

HTF is this relevant unless you know your bonce is the same shape as mine?

“Best Helmet” FFS 🙄

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Best road helmets?’ is closed to new replies.