Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • #TOTW Best Ridgelines in the UK
  • continuity
    Free Member

I finished off two days in the lakes with a quick jaunt up Barrow (the higher fells still holding loads of ice). It was ace – flowy, easy riding (compared to wharnscale covered in ice the day before) and with amazing views all around and the sense of being on a proper ridgeline.

I’m not going to propose it (or it’s bigger neighbour ullock pike) but if you were hunting more of the same – could we get a list together?

Keswick from barrow

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m with you, I could actually just ride around the tops all day long before descending, said it many times while being up on NW fells out of Braithwaite, not even what you’d call proper ridges as such, but stunning panorama’s. Which is actually better for it then a techy ridge, as you lift your head and actually look.

So, really good allround views as opposed to ‘ridges’

Beinn a bhuird
    Rhinns of Kells
    Yoke along to Thorthwaite crag
    Wandope onto Whiteless pike
    Grisedale pike
    Maiden moor onto cat bells

I’m sure more will come to me during the day

thegeneralist
    Free Member

North rdge of Helvellyn is pretty good. Past The Dodds and the ski centre…

Also enjoyed heading east from Coniston OM into little langdale. The last bit in particular is threaded grass heaven.

martinhutch

Fairfield towards Windermere, mostly fitting nobeer’s criteria.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apart from then many water bars, Bynack mor has great vistas, as does the route along to Macdui from Cairngorm end, though none of them are technically ‘ridges’, similarly Sgor gaioth right along the great moss to mullach clach a blair fits the views criteria.

scuttler

Agree pretty much any hill out of Braithwaite.

https://instagram.com/p/B3E-X9OHdBZ/

jam-bo

its not mountainous or big, but the quantocks drove road along the ridge is a great ride.

lowey

Tried to post a load of pics 3 times, lost the post everytime.

You’ll just have to imagine.

scuttler

Yeah I’m having hassle with pic posting but regarding the instagram link up there, it should / could be loading this

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I once took my Canyon a walk along these ridges, lovely day, but not much riding. 🙂

IMG_20210901_155032163_HDR

Beinn Bharrain horseshoe on Arran has a very similar feel to NW fells in the lakes, I’ve only ever walked it, need to get the bike over

Arran Sept 2018

mahalo

Longside edge surely? rode it on tuesday morning. extra sketchy with all the ice but seemed to make the descent go on forever!! dreamy (the drop off skiddaw down snow and ice covered scree was horrific tho!)

failedengineer

OP – What is the Barrow route? I’ve done some walking in the area, but never been up there with a bike. Is it rideable up with the, ahem, ebike do you think?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Grizedale Pike’s the best for me. Probably my favourite descent in the Lakes. The top is so gnarly.

St Sunday Crag’s a cool ridge that also has a cracking descent off it –

Whiteless Pike is a belter-

Ben Lawers then down Beinn Ghlas

As you mentioned, Ullock Pike is up there-

Rhydd Dhu off Snowdon is great too.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Beinn a Bhuird is alright, but over a bit quick and a bit tame. Worth a go if you’re in the area though.

continuity
    Free Member

@failedengineer

Either follow the track from Braithwaite up just west (right looking up) of Barrow Gill, then loop back on yourself under Stile End (very rideable on an ebike), or take the little descent after climbing out of braithwaite to Stoneycroft then bang a right up stoneycroft Gill then dog-leg back on yourself (even more rideable).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Beinn a Bhuird is alright, but over a bit quick and a bit tame. Worth a go if you’re in the area though.

In terms of riding with exposed views all round, it’s a belter, not really meaning as solely a descent.

Longside edge surely?

Often referred to as Ullock pike, though I think you’re technically correct! 🙂

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Munrobiker doing an excellent job of making me realise what a waste I have made of my life so far 🙂

Though I did manage Bhuird and Ullock this year, so not all bad.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You do alright @thegeneralist!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Thegeneralist, FOingMO since 1972 (TM)

FingMO?
    FOMOing?

</bollocks>

Anyway, on a more productive vein, just realised that the current weather could well be perfect for Helvellyn Dodds Ridge… my vague ( and probably rose tinted) recollection from 16 years ago I that it’s 95% rideable from Watermillock area to the summit if the Dodds bog is properly frozen, which I guess it is.

And bearing in mind the OPs note about some of the gnarrfests being too icey…

Anyone fancy a ( possibly mid-week) assault on Hrlvellyn? (If I can lose the ‘rona.)

Normally I’d advocate a loop incorporating that other grassy bogfest across the ‘water, but I think Helvellym and High Street on the same day is currently beyond me.

(TBH Greenlands to Hollins is probably beyond me at present, but if I can lose this bug…..)

mark88

Great photos.

Watching with interest if anyone is willing to share strava links to routes. 2022 resolution is to make more effort getting round the Lakes.

justinbieber

So many brilliant ridges in the Lakes, but why do they all have blasted footpaths on them! Not a bridleway in sight 🙁

@munrobiker
    – Grizedale Pike down to Braithwaite is indeed tech heaven – I was very pleased to clean it all last summer.

@thegeneralist
    – don’t think I rate the Dodds to Helvellyn. Just seems a bit too rounded and meh. Can think of plenty of other ways I’d rather spend a day biking in and around Helvellyn.

@mark88
    – most of the ridges mentioned are relatively self explanatory. Just spend some time with a map and figure out a way to link the start and finish of each one.

munrobiker
    Free Member

A lot of them I rode before I used Strava for every ride so I don’t have complete records but here’s a few-

St Sunday –
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3926838891

Beinn a Bhuird (there’s definitely better ways to do this loop but I was a bit tight for time)-

https://www.strava.com/activities/2520485928#63377968125

Bynack Mor –

https://www.strava.com/activities/2333716787

Ullock Pike (though I’d advocate pushing back up through Dodds and going down Carl Side as well)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1428067288/

Whiteless Pike (this is the shortest possible route for it, I’d recommend going over from the Braithwaite Side and making a loop of it)

https://www.strava.com/activities/2835894480#70554734144

mark88

Perfect, thanks @munrobiker

most of the ridges mentioned are relatively self explanatory. Just spend some time with a map and figure out a way to link the start and finish of each one.

I’m already on it, spend far too long browsing maps of the lakes!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whiteless and Grisedale pike on the same ride, I’ve only ever done it via a howk up Gasgale gill, which isn’t to everyones tastes, but lets you ride the lovely singletrack by Rannerdale knotts.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

don’t think I rate the Dodds to Helvellyn. Just seems a bit too rounded and meh. Can think of plenty of other ways I’d rather spend a day biking in and around Helvellyn.

Fair assessment really, especially if you clean Grizedale Pike. I mainly suggested it as an option for something compatible with the weather & forecast. Ice and most of the other routes mentioned would be way outside my comfort zone.

But yeah, it is essentially an XC ride, very high up.

lowey

I’ll try again…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hZZyDq]2019-12-16_07-43-03[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/26Cmva4]20180428_145001[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/24Qyh23]20180407_150005[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

lowey

[url=https://flic.kr/p/S1fJ1u]20170326_132410[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/RKFEC6]DSC_0167[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/JXutYr]IMAG0675[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@lowey you just hit share on flickr, and then copy the link that comes up, paste directly in here, no need to use IMG or anything.

jedi

I’ve never ridden the lakes.must do

euain

Carn a Mhaimand againcarn amhaim

Carn a’Mhaim and Macdui was a great day out. Bit of a ridge ride with the Lairig Ghru to your left. Pictures don’t do it justice.

Then a fantastic descent form Macdui back towards Braemar. Strava link to the ride. Even better as we managed to book the good weather.

johnx2
    Free Member

surprisingly for someone who’s not done much Lakes riding, I’ve ridden most of the Lakes ridges above (bar St Sunday and Whiteless which I like the look of). I also always enjoy Yoke to High St in either direction which I’ve done a few times now, as it’s most accessible from where I live.

I’ll include the Howgills rollercoaster descent from the Calf. Nothing remotely technical (massive bonus at my skill level) just a fast blast all the way.

faustus

Going far south, the ride along Nine Barrow down from Corfe, then down and up along Ballard down towards old Harry rocks. Not high or pointy, but fabulous views and prominence from the surrounding landscape. Ballard down ends up with the sea a long way down to one side and stunning views to the Isle of Wight.

lowey

@lowey you just hit share on flickr, and then copy the link that comes up, paste directly in here, no need to use IMG or anything.

I know mate, that’s what I was doing but everytime I clicked submit the forum just lost the post.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Carn a’Mhaim and Macdui

Oaft, that’s a boulder field mission from Macdui down to the ridgeline, kudos!

Sanny
    Free Member

Carn a Mhaim has to be up there as it is a proper ridge descent.

Whiteless Pike is glorious. Ridden it several times in all seasons. Bloody brilliant and worth doing as a loop to take in Grizedale Pike. With the path being improved a few years ago, it is possible to now ride most of the way up too if you have the legs and low gears.

The ride on the west side of Arran no beer has walked is great on a bike but the hike up is tough. I wrote that one up for the mag.

Ben Avon heading north via the tors is mint. Cracking views too.

Ullock Pike – great but even better adding in Doups.

St Sunday Crag – only ridden it west to east but loved it.

Buchaille Etive Mor – for pure ridge riding, it is a cracker. Feels like skiing heading down into Glen Etive.

Binnean Mor – fantastic trail with everything you could wish for in a descent.

Cat bells ridge line starting at Honister after coming over Rosset on a sunny autumn evening. Just fabulous.

Oh and for sheer loveliness close to home (if you can stand the hike a bike) then the 5 summits in the Pentlands are cracking. Added another 4 summits on yesterday for a brilliant first big ride of the year day out in perfect winter conditions. Finished in the dark as all the best rides should!

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Nobeer

Do Carn a Mhaim first then up Taylors Gulley. The reverse would be absolutely garbage. It is a tough climb but absolutely worth it.

Oh and add in Derry cairngorm once you get past the scree laden top section. You will question why you are doing it but then it suddenly makes perfect sense. I did that along with the other 2 peaks as a loop. Approx six hours so not a big day out in time terms.

Cheers

Sanny

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ullock Pike – great but even better adding in Doups

You’re still the only person I’ve ever heard recommending this! 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Doups is steep loveliness. One for the slow speed tech, endo hop fan. So basically me!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I know mate, that’s what I was doing but everytime I clicked submit the forum just lost the post.

@lowey
    – this is because for some stupid reason STW limits the number of links you can put in a post. Each link to a flickr photo is three links so you soon exceed the limit. You can stop this by either deleting everything either side of the img tags in the flickr link you’ve copied, or by putting them over several posts.

@Sanny
    – which way would you get up and off Buchaille Etive Mor?

Also, hike a bike on the 5 hills? There’s only a tiny bit. It’s a great ride, though.

@nobeerinthefridge
    – Doups is what I was referring to as Carl Side. It’s a really silly descent.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I’ve pushed up it (Carlside/Doups), was horrible!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘#TOTW Best Ridgelines in the UK’ is closed to new replies.