Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Best ride ever! (Child seat content)
  • sandwicheater

Took the wee one for his first spin on the weekend and he loved it.

Chuffed as a chuffed thing on a Thursday!

Just a bimble to Huddersfield and back.

Here’s the wee chap and the wife.

[/url]
    Untitled by sandwicheater, on Flickr[/img]

Anyone recommend any child friendly routes in/around Yorkshire?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like it. Love taking my boy out on the back of the bike, they definitely are some of the best rides. No ride recommendations unfortunately, stuck down south.

wwaswas

*likes*

Kryton57

Great isn’t it?

sandwicheater

It’s brilliant.

When ever I would speed up he’d just giggle away and smack me to go faster (well, I took it as an encouragement to go faster).

hooli

Brilliant! Before you know it, he will be along side you on his own bike.

Kryton57

My eldest is 5 now, and has been on a pedal bike for a year or so. On Friday I rode with him to school, a really proud and touching moment watching him ride in front / beside me. You’ve got that to come!

clubber
    Free Member

It’s great isn’t it 🙂

Only tip I have is to keep it relatively smooth – being right over the rear axle with no option to stand, they feel every small bump.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, that sounds brilliant.

Spent an hour or so with my boy (almost 2 now) up at a local park with his balance bike over the weekend. They have a little mini pump track there. Had to help keep him upright but he loved it and had a massive grin on his face 🙂

Only tip I have is to keep it relatively smooth – being right over the rear axle with no option to stand, they feel every small bump.

I’m tempted to get a wee ride for more off roady stuff. Would think it may be a bit less bone shaking than being out back. Any experiences?

Kryton57

Funny you should say that mrblobby. I started kryton jnr on a balance bike around the local park which also has a mini skate park – he rides his pedal bike over all the ramps etc now. Also our park has a railway along one side so there are some man made “hills” (about 15ft high) which were of course originally designed to block the rail noise from the park. Over the years little paths have developed as dog walkers walk up, along the top and down. Anyway, after some encouragement jnr and I now spin around the park (me on a hack SS), up the hills, along and down the slopes – his first mtb/dh experience – he’s even standing now.

Like most you’ll probably find the transition between balance bike and pedals takes about 10 mins.

iain1775
    Free Member

It’s even better when they are in front, on a wee-ride seat and can see where they are going a lot better, get much more interaction

aphex_2k
    Free Member

My son just falls asleep! One ride he was tapping me on the back. Looked round then realised it was his skid-lid bouncing off and he was zonked out! The only niggle is I have to ride my wife’s bike with the seat on which is a hardrock with pink pedals and mudguards.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyway, after some encouragement jnr and I now spin around the park (me on a hack SS), up the hills, along and down the slopes – his first mtb/dh experience – he’s even standing now.

Thats sounds great fun 🙂

Blobby jr only really done a couple of hours on the balance bike so far so still needs a lot of help staying upright. He’s a whizz on his scooter though so hopefully the balance thing will carry over.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Congrats – I still love taking youngster out on the bike seat, he loved his ride to the childminder in the sun this morning!

My equivalent from yesterday – first time on it outside, he’s not quite big enough but loves it already!

Proud Dad moment – first bike goes down a storm! by theflatboy, on Flickr

TiRed

Happy days. And still in the garage. The flying banana is the best bike ever. Fact!

sandwicheater

TiRed, today you win the internet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

An awesome contraption!

TPTcruiser

Trans Pennine Trail, Penistone to Dunford Bridge or just to Thurlstone and then up over the hill with the windmills to Ingbirchworth and the Fountain Inn. I remember doing this with young daughter on the back, when she woke up (that rhythmic bump on your back or the sideways loll) she drank all her water then drank all mine. Good job the Fountain wasn’t far away.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Isn’t it amazing 🙂

We got a WeeRide 6 months ago and our boy (2 on Thursday), often goes and gets “Patrick’s hat, daddy’s hat” and stands next to the bike saying “bike, yep, bike… bike yep, yep bike…yes pleeeeese, yep, bike, thank yoooooooo, bike yep” etc, until we’re off around the village.

iolo
    Free Member

Serious question, I see you love to give your kids bikes and they seem to love them.
    What if they say one day when they’re 5 “daddy, I don’t like going on my bike with you” would you stop? Or would you keep buying the next Isla bike up and ignore your child’s request so you can keep your hobby while you have no babysitter?

theflatboy
    Free Member

iolo, good question and one that is occasionally in my thoughts. He will of course be free to choose his own hobbies. I would never force him to do anything but I would be gutted!

It’s not going to happen anyway, I’m the third or fourth generation of cycling enthusiasts down my dad’s side so it’s inevitable… 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Iolo, I’d like to think I’d be ok with that. Kids fall in and out of hobbies and interests all the time so probably best to back off and keep options open for them. May be worth working out what it is he doesn’t like about it though, maybe he likes the riding but not some other aspect of it?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

iolo

I don’t really like to talk about it but I got our boy a Haro balance bike a couple of months ago and he doesn’t like it at all. He’s almost two so plenty of time yet, but I’m worried he’ll never like it. Wifey was away over the week and I ended up putting chocolate buttons on the bars, feeding him every time he went near it!

I have such wonderful memories of cycling with my Dad. One that just made me smile was a night ride with 2 friends, their Dad’s and me with mine. All with terrible mid-90’s lights, rigid bikes, narrow bars etc. It ended with us three lads having a don’t-tell-your-Mum half pint aged about 14. An awesome night and one I’d love to repeat a generation down the line.

spacemonkey

Serious question, I see you love to give your kids bikes and they seem to love them.
    What if they say one day when they’re 5 “daddy, I don’t like going on my bike with you” would you stop? Or would you keep buying the next Isla bike up and ignore your child’s request so you can keep your hobby while you have no babysitter?

I wonder the same re riding (and football, rugby, drawing/colouring and generally anything else I’ve been into over the years).

Chimp is 3 yrs old and has been riding his HotWalk for over a year (parks, farmland, woods, BMX/skate parks etc) and he loves it. He also digs coming out in his Croozer (trailer).

If he chooses to stop one day then so be it. Either way, I’d like him to have a real zest for sport and outdoor life. Similar to flatboy, I can trace my cycling routes back to WW1 so I’m hoping it’s in the genes!

sandwicheater

iolo, would be only one option;

[video]http://youtu.be/m8Da7PQE8O8[/video]

woody2000

sandwicheater – Spen/Calder Valley Greenway are ok (which you probably know) for a pootle with the child seat, as is the canal from Brighouse to Hebden Bridge. Further afield, Roundhay Park has some nice family friendly routes and if you don’t mind a bit of a drive then Clumber Park has some good family riding too. You could ride out to Saltaire on the canal from Leeds.

TiRed

Iolo, it never happened. The Flying Banana is transport, fun, fitness training. Happy Sunday evenings out for a 20 mile loop. They are both riding red routes at Afan now, and I’m racing Teen1’s road bike. Enjoy the riding. It doesn’t last long!

iolo
    Free Member

I remember seeing this lycra clad race snake parent outside the old Coed y Brenin Cafe screaming at his boy (maybe 6) saying “I BOUGHT YOU THIS F@@@@@ING BIKE, NOW F@@@@@ING RIDE IT!!!!!!!!!”. The poor lad was bawling his eyes out. That’s why I ask.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That is shocking, the poor boy.

Reminds me of this…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1AtAQM1mNw[/video]

sandwicheater

I’m only a new dad but I’d struggle not to have words with the chap (and then promptly have my face punched no doubt).

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I took my boys over to Swinley on Sunday. The eldest sulked because the blue was shut so we had to ride around boring fire roads.

The youngest got to ride the green on his balance bike.

He absolutely loved it, and went crazy angry when we had to leave.

Kryton57

iolo – Member
    I remember seeing this lycra clad race snake parent outside the old Coed y Brenin Cafe screaming at his boy (maybe 6) saying “I BOUGHT YOU THIS F@@@@@ING BIKE, NOW F@@@@@ING RIDE IT!!!!!!!!!”. The poor lad was bawling his eyes out. That’s why I ask.

Not long ago I was stood on the start line of a balance bike race with Jnr. Dad next to me was cossetting his kid, and saying “Don’t look at them. You are better than them. Focus on the track, don’t look back. Look forward. You are the winner”.

wtf, he’s 3 and a half ffs…

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m sure there is a pushy dad behind many kids who can’t stand competitive sports.

theflatboy
    Free Member

All future Vicky Pendletons, no doubt!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not read her book but I was under the impression that she did it mostly to try and get her dad’s attention and please him. Think he was too involved in his own racing and bitter about her success, blaming having kids and being tied down for it, rather than being a pushy parent.

timmys

sandwicheater and others – can I ask what age you started your kids in weerides and child seats? My boy is 10 months and I’m not sure if that’s too young to get started. Also would appreciate recommendations for who does the best helmets for under 1 yr olds.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was soon after his first birthday for ours. I’d probably have taken him out earlier but mrs blobby wouldn’t let me. Got an abus helmet here. Didn’t really research it but it’s got crocodiles on it so it must be good!

hatter

In typical ‘over enthusiastic cyclist dad’ style I got Hatter Jnr his runner bike long before his legs were long enough.

Just this weekend however he finally got on it and could touch the ground, now he can’t get enough! Just had a text from the wife saying that he was on it for an hour this morning whilst I was at work.

*proud*

I know you can’t choose what your kids get into but it’s looking good so far.

theflatboy
    Free Member

First bike seat excursions were around 10 months for my nipper as well. Helmet from On One for a tenner, the only one we could find that was small enough for his head. And yes, he has had a balance bike since well before that pic above and he can’t even really use it yet… 😆

Edit – hatter, is that a Righty fork?!

hatter

Yup 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Best ride ever! (Child seat content)’ is closed to new replies.