Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Best rear mudguard?
  • rascal
    Free Member

It’s shitslopfest season and as much as I don’t really like the aesthetics I appreciate they do a fine job of keeping the crap off you. I have an old SKS blade that attaches to the seatpost but I now have a dropper – the fact that it’s about 10” above the wheel means inevitably some crap gets past as it can be knocked off-centre. What is the consensus on modern rear guards…that will fit a Whyte T130?

Laggingbehind
    Free Member

The Mudhuggers are great and fix to the frame so no issues with droppers. You just ned to specify standard or low frame

austy
    Free Member

I have had a mudhugger in the past on a hardtail, head and shoulders above any other mudguard (previously had crud catcher).

If you can get past the looks which some people hate, nothing can better it.

PJay
    Free Member

The best rear mudguard I’ve ever had is the Zefal No Mud which worked a treat on my hardtail although I’ve no idea how it might work on your full suss.

They attach to the seatstays rather than the seattube.

Fitted to my old hardtail:

EDIT — Just noticed that they now do the Deflector RM29 which looks like a 29er version.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Another vote for the Mudhugger here, just does a great job and stays where it should.

rOcKeTdOg

Mudhugger, just remember to use the supplied frame protector

rascal
    Free Member

Mudhugger seems to be the popular choice here and elsewehere.
    Read that it can drop shite onto drivetrain and rear brake…true?

hodgynd
    Free Member

None they all look crap

cokie

I asked this a a while ago, overwhelming support for the MudHugger.
    I went with it and love it. Not a drop of mud on my bike despite some good mudplugging. Not cheap, but appears durable and works.

tjagain

hodgynd – Member

None they all look crap

Who cares what you look like. Dressed in your mtbers uniform you look like a dork anyway – and you really think being splattered with mud is a better look?

philtricklebank

Whilst Mudhuggers are ok for hard tails, they’re a bit too short for full sus and 29ers. They offer an extender for the 29er guard, which is flimsy and folds under the guard to “brap” on the tyre. What is needed is a specific 29er/650b moulding for full suss that is longer (to allow for the seat stays being lower down), and follows the curve of the wheel rather than straightening out at the end. I’ve suggested this to Mudhugger ages ago – no reply.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Tj again ..( unfortunately )
    I’ve never met you ..and hopefully never will.
    I’m intrigued as to how you know what I dress in to ride ..are you some sort of peeping Tom ..or just sore that you got shouted down the last time we crossed paths ..
    My post wasn’t directed at anyone in particular but was my own opinion ..keep yours general and don’t make it personal son ..its pretty pathetic.

kelron
    Free Member

Let’s assume his was a general opinion too… we all look like dorks.

athy62
    Free Member

Cube make a good one with a ratchet style seatpost clamp. Works well.

littlerob

I’m interested in this topic as I’ve been looking at the Mudhugger. Trouble is I’ve a full-sus 29er based on an Orange Gyro frame and its got a very big frame thingy (not sure what you’d call it “swing-arm?”)

Can they be made to fit?

steel4real
    Free Member

@hodgynd – it’s only the internet – maybe a typo although tj came across as a bit a you know what years ago when he left the forum/got banned and loved winding folk up.

Now he’s back, maybe back to his old ways and surely already evangelising about wax for chains and maybe tandems !

FOG

I recently put mudguards on my 29er fs and 26er ht. today I rode a few very sloppy miles with my son on the fs and me on the ht. The mud hugger on the fs failed to protect my son, his back was well splattered but the Decathlon seat post mounted cheapo kept me very clean. So it appears philtb is bang on . Mudhuggers not much use on 29ers

kayla1
    Free Member

Mudhuggers look really shit but they work for us (both 26″ though).

lunge

None they all look crap

You’re a grown (wo)man riding a pushbike, you look like a fool anyway, a mudguard just means you look like a fool without a streak of mud up your backside.

rOcKeTdOg

Read that it can drop shite onto drivetrain and rear brake…true?

Of any rear mudguard except a fully enclosed road type yes. potentially it could happen but not that I’ve experienced over the last 5 years using one

For the record all either a 29er or fat bike (as near as damn it 29″) are those using them on a 29er either using the 29er version or fitting it correctly?

rOcKeTdOg

Trouble is I’ve a full-sus 29er based on an Orange Gyro frame and its got a very big frame thingy (not sure what you’d call it “swing-arm?”)

Can they be made to fit?

You could buy the orange suspension frame specific one, that’d fit i expect

pickle
    Free Member

Other than on a commute bike I think they all looks pants, I’d rather just take a change of clothes with me for the drive home.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Bike and clothes caked in mud looks like crap as well so I think the crappyness of how a mudhugger looks is irrelevant.

It has been extra muddy this year with an Awful Summer and it is standard for November – March to be muddy like this anyway (unless its frozen)

jlln
    Free Member

Mudhugger gets my vote. Have both the front and back ones on my Jeffsy 27 wheels. Still, it is possible to get some mud splatters on the back from the rear wheel and lots on the downtube and shin area from the front wheel, but the important parts (forks, cassette, rotors) seem to be reasonably clean. However without them I would be totally covered in mud, so yes Mudhugger – cost me £52.00 for the pair. Perhaps the rear extension might help a bit as well…

dahedd
    Free Member

Mudhugger 29er on the rear of my Wazoo fatty. Don’t mind the look of it. Keeps my arse dry & mud free.

woody2000

29r crudguard front and back for me, work a treat and cheap. Cover a 3″ tyre pretty well and work with a dropper (on my frame at least). Different story with a FS though I guess, mine tends to stay in the shed when it’s really crap!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GmoYnz]IMG_20171018_090509[/url] by jason.wood252, on Flickr

rascal
    Free Member

Anyone used Velcro strips instead of zip ties on their Mudhugger to make it less permanent?

montgomery
    Free Member

Those Zefal No Mud guards snap at the narrow part above the clamp when you crash.

downhillfast
    Free Member

29er Crudguard rear works pretty well, the front less So, but the set is pretty cheap to buy.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Best rear mudguard?’ is closed to new replies.