Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best puncture resistance – Schwalbe Marathon Plus still the goto tyre?
  • ross980
    Free Member

Got a puncture on my work bike yesterday, the culprit was a splinter of glass. The tyres are original and full if tiny holes so due a swap. I’m not bothered about weight (the bike is a steel frame tourer and weighs a ton anyway)
    After 700×32 – would prefer wider but the mudguards limit things.

Marathon Plus seem to be around £25, anything better before I hit he order button?

TPTcruiser

They work for me, press that order button.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have them on my Brompton and they’re excellent. Not fast, but predictable handling in pretty much all weather, and great on puncture resistance. So far.

Damn. That’s me cursed to a walk home tonight! 😉

steezysix
    Free Member

Never had a puncture with continental sport contacts, can be got for about £15 if you shop about.

kimbers

if weights not an issue martanons are excellent, as said predictable in all weathers and last for ages too- so you certainly get your moneys worth

tonyd

I was going to suggest Marathon Supremes as they’re half the weight of Pluses. No idea how they compare but I’m running Supremes and not had any issues so far (2-3 months of use so early days). Got them cheap at On One.

muzzle
    Free Member

I’m very happy with my Marathon Plus – I bought them despite the avalanche of reviews that suggested that they roll horribly; they don’t. If anything, they’re smoother than the unbranded tyres that originally came with the bike. No punctures so far (touch wood etc), although I’ve only had em a couple of months. Definitely recommended.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Marathons are heavy as Kimbers mentioned but roll well. I like them as I’ve never had a puncture with them unlike the Gatorskins they replaced on a previous bike.
    Schwalbe usually come up big compared to other makes. For reference on the Pompetamine with mudguards 32’s were the maximum it would take.

MSP

Marathon supremes are excellent, and can be run tubeless (I don’t know why more touring type tyres haven’t gone tubeless), but for shards of glass only something like the big thick layer of protection provided by a marathon plus will really do anything.

ross980
    Free Member

Great. I’ll get them ordered. They seem to be the tyre of choice for beardy wierdy CTC types who cover interstellar mileages so should last me years.

Schwalbe had a display at the York Cycle Rally once, there was a cross section of a a Marathon Plus and a tray of drawing pins. Trying to get the drawing pin stuck in the tyre was virtually impossible. I just wanted to check they were as good in actual use.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best puncture resistance – Schwalbe Marathon Plus still the goto tyre?’ is closed to new replies.