Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best printer for photos?
  • stoffel
    Free Member

A4 sized, larger sizes can be done if and when needed at a local printing place. Would be nice to have one to do small prints to send friends/relatives etc. So many diffrent printers on the markets, with all sorts of features, but wheich ones are actualy good at printing photos? Quality over features realy.Budget around £100 I suppose, unless spendingmore gets a significant improvment.

dooge
    Free Member

This is a minefield and it depends on how keen you are. Ive been and done the photography thing (did a few weddings and have a photography degree) and I can honestly say you are almost better printing through a service for most, mainly from a cost vs quality point of view.

a printer prints in CMYK, a screen is setup for RGB. Matching up what it looks like on the screen to a print is difficult. Even then, screens are made to look good, not be colour accurate.

If you do decide to go for one, read a lot of reviews. When I was into it Canon and Epson printers were good.

stoffel
    Free Member

I know a bit about printing, and have had HP and a big Epson A3 printer (which costs a fortune to run and never flipping works). That was a while ago, so just want something that can bash out a few nice small prints for peoplenow and then.

user-removed
    Free Member

a printer prints in CMYK, a screen is setup for RGB.

Really? All the pro labs I use are fine with sRGB. Different for business cards / stationery.

dooge
    Free Member

Generally printers print in CMYK, more expensive ones print in sRGB. Im just being too picky I think! 😕

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just picked up a Canon Selphy(ie?) for a fiver (boot sale!). Needed a small printer so took a punt. Dye sublimation, any size as long as it’s 6×4″ /postcard – about 23p per print.

Works like a charm, churns out glossy prints (including from the onboard card reader) complete with splashproof coating. Job is done.

Only thing I’m not happy about is throwing away the plastic carrier spools every 30 or so prints. Would love to find a use for them other than the skip, I hate waste.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Generally printers print in CMYK, more expensive ones print in sRGB. Im just being too picky I think!

Wrong. sRGB is a small colourspace within the boundaries of most CMYK output and seen as a safe colourspace for screen and web use , adobeRGB is bigger and an industry standard to work on images with, propotoRGB is bigger still but ultimately there is a conversion to CMYK to be done for output either done by the repro house or the printer driver itself if done on an inkjet at home. You can ‘soft proof’ in photoshop by simulating the output profile and paper stock which will show any out of gamut colours or ink limit problems.

stoffel
    Free Member

THat useless waffle aside, any other recommendations for a reasonable printer please?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Canon selphy for little glossy prints
    Epson/canon for art papers A3-A3+ Where you want near archival permanence. The ones with 8-10 inks and 2blacks/greys these will not be £100 though (a set of inks is about that)

It wasn’t useless waffle just because you didn’t understand it, I was merely correcting mis-information re sRGB

stoffel
    Free Member

It was useless waffle, because it has no relevance on this thread, which is about a decent yet inexpensive photo printer. I need something to print out pics for friends etc, rather than produce large format archival/display prints. For that, I’d just go to a professional printing place which caters for such needs.

So, Canon/Epsn? What will play nice with an iMac? I rember having nightmares a few years ago trying to get 3 different Canon DSLRs to play with iPhoto, when anything else ‘just worked’.

poah
    Free Member

unless you are spending lots of dosh on a monitor the output will only be close to sRGB at the most plus the fact that printers can’t actually match the gamute of RGB makes all this talk of RGB and CMYK pointless.

as for printing much cheaper to get them done at the local asda, boots or quicky mart for small prints. if you are doing a boat load then upload to DSCL. Printer ink is stupidly expensive and when I did photography I had a CIS system to keep the costs down.

canon printers are pretty quick and glossy, I sometimes print out the odd 6×4 on a canon MP640.

stoffel
    Free Member

How about this one? Wireless is bloody handy to be honest.
    https://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA_MG7150/

stoffel
    Free Member

as for printing much cheaper to get them done at the local asda, boots or quicky mart for small prints. if you are doing a boat load then upload to DSCL.

Ok; so Ihaveto travel to an Asda or Boots, then wait for them to be done. Very conveneint. 🙄

Plus we need ne for printing out train/concert tickets, boarding passes etc. Hence the need for one actualy in our home.

poah
    Free Member

so its gone from needing to print photos to general printing as well. maybe if you had mentioned this in your original post you would have got a better reponse and you wouldn’t have had to act like a dick 😉

get yourself a canon PIXMA MG6450 or an PIXMA MG5550

stoffel
    Free Member

so its gone from needing to print photos to general printing as well. maybe if you had mentioned this in your original post you would have got a better reponse and you wouldn’t have had to act like a dick

Oh sorry; I though you had something useful to say. My mistake. 🙄

get yourself a canon PIXMA MG6450 or an PIXMA MG5550

You could quite easily have said that without being a dick. I’ll probably be getting a Pixma 7150.

No need for anyone else to respond now, unless you want to argue about CMYK v sRGB or whatever.

poah
    Free Member

I wasn’t being a dick, I suggested way to get photos printed cheaper than buying an inkjet and doing it at home which is what you actually asked for. sorry if I thought it would save you money

stoffel
    Free Member

I suggested way to get photos printed cheaper than buying an inkjet and doing it at home which is what you actually asked for.

It isn’t. I want to buy a printer. But thanksanyway.

JulianA
    Free Member

Bit late to the party, but we’ve always had good results (including printing lots of photos) from cheapest HP printers.

In fact, we need a new one right now and are off to John Lewis tomorrow to try to buy an HP4500 Envy – border less printing up to Letter – hope this includes A4, otherwise we’ll have to think again – double sided and AirPrint compatible. £59.95. Bargain.

Beware the cheaper (£39.95) model – apparently it doesn’t do border less, which is a problem for us.

Thanks for the CMYK / RGB stuff – I learned something from Googling the difference!

cp

I have canon mg6450, as someone mentioned above. Ideal for what you want,which is exactly what I use mine for. Individual ink tanks, excellent photo print quality, very very fast document printing. Really impressed by it, the scan and copy functions are surprisingly very useful too.

And wireless functionality works very well and is brilliant if you have more than one computer or tablet or phone you want to print from.

stoffel
    Free Member

So; I bought a Canon MG7150 from Currys (**** you John Lewis with your ‘legendary customer service’- staff standing around unwilling to actually assist me, delivery times vague at best) for £130 with £20 cashback from Canon. Bargain. Quite easy to set up, works efficiently, scans reasonably wel, copy function workks so easily and the one small b+w print I did as a test came out pretty good (why do they only give you a tiny sample pac of 4×6″ paper? Tight bastards!). So probably will do the job perfectly.

Plus it’s in the house, so no more going out to places to get prints done… 😉

revs1972
    Free Member

I’ve always used epsons until recently when it refused to play ball with some compatible inks. Bought an A3 Brother so I could print drawings for work. Photos are quite acceptable .
    If I need several large pictures , I have found a print house that does 16″x12″ for £1.05 each. Postage is £5 minimum, so it’s worth doing several to make it cost effective, but there’s no way you can print at home for that sort of money.
    It was next day delivery too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best printer for photos?’ is closed to new replies.