Best place to park (West London) for Natural History Museum

Home Forum Chat Forum Best place to park (West London) for Natural History Museum

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best place to park (West London) for Natural History Museum
  • Premier Icon mogrim
    Subscriber

Also anything else worth doing near the NH museum (will save the Science Museum for another time)

Harrods is a short walk away and quite interesting if you haven’t been before.

Edit: no idea about parking, always go on the Tube.

purpleyeti

i would reccomend if you go in on the m40/a40 you don’t go further then hanger lane on a friday it’s nightmare round that way. pleny of places along there though you can park and get in on the central line

Premier Icon parkesie
    Subscriber

Park at aldershot train station and get the train in.

bland

I was thinking of parking somewhere like Hounslow West and jumping on the tube, or sunnymeads/Datchet and getting train to Richmond then Tube.

Id prefer to make my life as easy as possible when it comes to getting parked and getting to the hotel afterwards as ill have grumpy wife and kids by both stages of the journey above!

joolsburger

m40 m25 a3 park at Wimbledon under the shopping centre cheap and easy. Then single tube straight to South Ken from there, use nearby A3 to leave London then hogs back etc into Farnbrough. I’d say no more than 40 mins from Wimbledon to F’brough even in rush hour it’s dead easy and avoids the M3 and M25 which will both be crap.

DenDennis

I was thinking of parking somewhere like Hounslow West and jumping on the tube, or sunnymeads/Datchet and getting train to Richmond then Tube.

yeah dunno about hounslow west, but i was at hounslow east for the first time a few days ago and its still surprisingly ‘urban’ and would take a fair while to get in to, west obviously may be better.

or even further west along picadillo line? south ken is obv on same route.

tonyd

Fast train from Farnborough to Waterloo is under 40 minutes I think (43 from Fleet IIRC). Tube from/to Waterloo.

Premier Icon tuskaloosa
    Subscriber

If we drive into London we normally park at Westfield

car park open from 6am to 3am

Westfield

via the A3 / then Rpehampton to Barnes Bridge into Hammersmith to Shepherd’s Bush

DrJ

Also anything else worth doing near the NH museum (will save the Science Museum for another time)

There is the V&A – also a good spot for lunch 🙂

bland

We have a wedding in Farnbrough over the weekend so im going to take the Bland Juniors to the NH Museum tomorrow. Where would be best to park to get in and out of London (will be coming down the M40) and then driving over to Farnbrough afterwards. Obviously the traffic will be rubbishe being a Friday and all.

There’s a big car park off the A316 in Richmond, about 5mins walk fromthe district line which will take you straight to South Kensington, and 3/4 of an hour from Farnborough.

brooess

London’s public transport is ace. PArk as far outside as you can and train/tube in

jools182

I’ve got to drive in from heathrow to the centre on a friday night

I can’t wait 😥

mefty

I would train it from Farnborough, tube from Hounslow is pretty slow as there are so many stops, it is not that quick from Wimbledon or Richmond either.

If the train stops at clapham junction you can get a train to victoria, which is two stops from south ken. This should be a bit quicker than going to waterloo.

And tukaloosa means Hammersmith Bridge not Barnes bridge.

b r

tbh We just use to drive straight in and park at the NCP around the corner (or the ‘bombsite’ one near the Underground during the day).

By the time you’ve faffed on trains/tubes etc and paid all the costs there isn’t much in it.

bland

Cheers guys, will prob be cheaper to just drive in, i know that will be the wifes preferred option in any case, if not Wimbledon seems the one for the tube.

Moses

It may be cheaper, but the parking might set you back £20 anyway if you try to drive in. And it will take forever & you’ll be a right grumpy git. Take the train or tube from the outskirts.

I see you’re from Oldham.
    Take the locals’ advice, since you asked for it. I’ve taken 2 hours to get out of London on a Friday night. It’s horrid.

ocrider

If the train stops at clapham junction you can get a train to victoria, which is two stops from south ken. This should be a bit quicker than going to waterloo.

There’s a bus route that passes Clapham Junction that ends on the Cromwell Road, right opposite the museum. 20 minutes in a double decker bus is as interesting as dinosaur fossils if you are 6 years old !

aP

Its taken me an hour to drive 4 miles before heading into Chiswick…
    I really wouldn’t drive in because it’ll be quite painful. I’d not thought of that before but the Wimbledon suggestion sounds quite sensible – certainly anywhere near the North Circular will be horrendous, the M4 will be stationary, the M3 will be quite painful.
    …and for the fella talking about Hounslow east – its good isn’t it? I was project architect for that job for 2 years….

mefty

There’s a bus route that passes Clapham Junction that ends on the Cromwell Road, right opposite the museum. 20 minutes in a double decker bus is as interesting as dinosaur fossils if you are 6 years old !

This is very true, probably as quick, and a bit cheaper.

antennae

Good plan, that.

Grab the 345 or 49 from Clappy J, takes about half an hour. Includes a crossing of Battersea Bridge and a trundle up Kings Road.

CountZero

Coming into London via the M4, my default parking place is King’s Mall in Hammersmith. Five minute walk, or less, to the main tube station, and the Hammersmith & City station is just across the road.

joolsburger

I’m SW London/Surrey dweller and often take my kids to the NHM as I said 12 quid for parking pretty much all day here http://www.centrecourtshopping.co.uk/award-winning-car-park/
    And the A3 really is a better route out of London on a Friday from Wimbledon (not allowing for accidents) and you’re 20/25 odd mins on the tube to South Ken. Its dead easy. Can actually be quite pleasant as the tube is overground too. Lots of good eateries in Wimbledon should you want to chow down before driving to Farnbrough.

TiRed

Sunnymeads/Datchet and getting train to Richmond then Tube.

Wimbledon is the best option. Parking is easy in Datchet (after 11 AM), but you’ll be stuck with a 30 min train trip to Richmond then an easy change. The trip down to Farnborough will also be grim. I normally drive to Ealing Common and catch the tube in, but as said, avoid the M3 and M25 if you can.

b r

If coming from the north, avoid the M40 in and take the MI down to Brent Cross, then the Edgeware Rd to Swiss Cottage and zip around Regents Park heading towards Park Lane and then up towards the Museums.

Park up.

🙂

TheBrick

south ealing is quite good to park and get in fro mthe M40 and out onto the M4 or M3

robbo

Second the idea of parking in Westfield. Cheap and convenient…

Premier Icon WildHunter2009
    Subscriber

Always used to park at the North Ealing station I think and hop on the train. This is a few years back mind.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Done it plenty of times.
    At the end of the M4 & park at Ickenham tube station. It’s £4 for the day, plus there’s someone on duty patrolling the cat park. Hillingdon is just off the motorway but about £6 .
    It’s an hour in to London on the tube from there though, but the cheapest option.

If you do drive in there is a 500 space council car park under Kensington Town Hall.
    It’s about £12 all day, £4 overnight.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Best place to park (West London) for Natural History Museum’ is closed to new replies.