Best place to live for mtbing in UK?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Best place to live for mtbing in UK?
  • Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

reading between the lines, the best place to live is the place closest to the motorway so you can DRIVE somewhere. FFS.

in that case we’re never likely to meet up…shame really, as you’d like it round here

I think that was MBUK assertion, that it’s not just about good doorstep trails, but many factors like:

* Availability of decent jobs so you can afford it
    * Motorway and airport access to MTB destinations
    * Many nearby quality MTB destinations
    * Pleasant city environs to live in
    * Some sort of cycle culture

Bristol scores highly on all these points, and also has some MTB trails in the city itself. I think it came 2ndafter Edinburgh, with Sheffield 3rd.

mrmo

grum, not disagreeing with you, just frustrated that most people on here when asked where is the best place to mtb, reel off a list of places they have to drive to and say the place is good. To me the best place is where you would be most motivated to ride, where the riding is good, etc.

Might as well say Birmingham is good, not far to Cannock, the Peaks, Wales not far, etc.

edlong

South Leeds / Bradford.

The riding from the door isn’t awesome (but there’s some, and some of it’s reasonable) but with great motorway access that makes it easy to get to:

The Dales
    The Peaks
    Pennines

and fairly easy (but not quite as quick)to get to:

North Yorkshire Moors
    Lake District
    North Wales

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

mrmo spot on, a good place to live is where you can ride from the door. All that time you lot are driving, I’m riding.

Premier Icon aazlad
    Subscriber

Since moving to the a place where I can ride a different trail from the door every day of the weak I would struggle to relocate to the suburbs. I’ve barely visited a trail centre in 18 months and not missed them one jot. A lap of W2 at Afan last weekend reminded me that I’m not missing much. All riding is good though, just make the most of wherever you live.

tacopowell

Lived in Talybont, between Aberyshitswyth and Machynlleth for 3 years, Tis where I started mtb’ing and Is with out a doubt an amazing location for different trails, however not a great place for us to live, Backwards, Expensive and no job prospects πŸ™

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

South Leeds / Bradford.

The riding from the door isn’t awesome (but there’s some, and some of it’s reasonable) but with great motorway access that makes it easy to get to:

The train from Leeds through Calder Valley is a good one to get to know as well…drop off at Hebden or Todmorden, then either loop out and back to the station, or across towards Burnley or back to Bingley. Then jump on the train home again

legend

Probably Fort William, shame it’s a shit hole.
    Big natural riding
    trail centres in easy reach if natural is out for any reason
    2 proper uplift DH venues
    easy access to Skye, Torridon and the like
    Even a free ride venue beside Loch Ness (is that still there?)
    And the Dudes of Hazard constantly building new stuff

No proper mountains obviously but here on E Dartmoor is pretty darn good. Great and varied natural riding from the doorstep – from open moors to steep techy rock gardens and woodsy singletrack… most of which you get to yourself. Quantocks and Exmoor not that far away for a bit of variety on a day trip.

Haldon is only 30 mins away and its only a couple of hours to the South Wales trail centres should I bore of the natural stuff (failed to happen yet!).

Premier Icon StefMcDef
    Subscriber

I would have thought the Bath/Bristol area would be pretty good. Both seem like prosperous places with lots going on.

Seems quite hilly round about there.

Plus there are other lumpy bits worth exploring a short jaunt in practically every direction. Mendips, Quantocks, Exmoor, Dartmoor, Wales, FoD, Cotswolds, Shropshire…

That said, there are probably more epic days out within easy reach if you live somewhere that’s in the middle of everywhere but just to the north of up north. So yeah, Hebden Bridge or somewhere like that.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

grum – Member

Todmorden or Hebden Bridge (West Yorkshire)

That’s where I’ll be moving to soon in large part motivated by the biking/climbing/walking and proximity to Leeds/Manchester for work. Pretty close to Yorkshire Dales, Peak District and not too far to the Lakes/Wales/Scottish Borders too.

Where are you thinking of ending up?

fontmoss

Since moving to the a place where I can ride a different trail from the door every day of the weak I would struggle to relocate to the suburbs. I’ve barely visited a trail centre in 18 months and not missed them one jot.

This sounds great!

mrmo I think for a lot of people driving has become part and parcel of mtb lifestyle, using trail centres but living in cities. Not to say that should be the criteria for this thread or indeed what many of us would really want but a reality for a lot. Riding from the door is great, bizarrely I did that when lived in Madrid and not as much when I lived in Glasgow!

grum

Where are you thinking of ending up?

Depends how much we can sell our house for, but we have looked at Heptonstall which is lovely but expensive, and some in Mytholmroyd which are more of a sensible option. The missus fancies living up on’t moors but I don’t want to be too far from civilisation.

Don’t really want to live in Hebden itself – bit dark and no/small gardens in general. Haven’t really checked out Tod TBH as I’d heard there might be some people there who don’t shop organic/fair trade, which sounds absolutely frightful. πŸ™‚

toys19

Don’t move to Exeter for gods sake. In fact Devon in general sucks.

Subscriber

Heptonstall is nice, as is Slack (the bit on the main road to Burnley, through the village).

Bits of Tod are amazing, but you have to be careful about how much light you’re going to get – check and doublecheck.
    Walsden is nice.
    Don’t ask me how I know….

As you say, Hebden can be dark and it costs a bloody fortune.
    Huuuuge alcohol and drugs problems in both Tod and Hebden.
    Trades club in Hebden is superb though – great community, always something going on.

Mytholmroyd is great – have a look at Caldene Avenue area. Nice gardens, gets the light, away from noisy boozers, safe for kids and a quick walk into Hebden.

Just moved to Cliviger after 20 years in Tod.
    Well worth a look:
    Much more light, cheaper, still have great access to the trails and, I know I’ll get slagged off for this, in general the people are much friendlier – more approachable, less miserable and just, well, nicer.
    Sorry Tod. 😐

Very surprised by Burnley too – much, much nicer than expected – convenient for shopping, cheap, decent cinema, nice food.
    Obviously it’s got rough bits, but so has Tod and Hebden.

mrmo

fontmoss, i won’t disagree that for many driving is part of the picture, just shocked that the idea of the BEST place still involves driving.

If you want a stab at best, pick somewhere good transport links and good riding on doorstep.

Then comes down to the idea of what is good riding? trail centres, woodland, conifer plantations, rocks, dirt, etc etc. I don’t think it is aquestion that can really be answered as everyone has a different idea of what good riding is. I have riden in the welsh mountains, peaks, east midlands, cotswolds, devon, each is different but i wouldn’t say any is better.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

The ‘Diff.

grum

Cheers Rusty – that’s very helpful indeed. Cliviger does look nice but it’s a bit near Burnley! Interesting what you say about Burnley – I did some work there a few years ago and it seemed one of the most depressed places I’d been, but it might have changed.

We have friends in Hebden/Luddenden too so it might be a bit far.

Huuuuge alcohol and drugs problems in both Tod and Hebden.

Sweet, know any good dealers? πŸ™‚

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

reading between the lines, the best place to live is the place closest to the motorway so you can DRIVE somewhere. FFS.

I would rather live where i do in Cheltenham where i can get plenty of riding from the door, if my mtbing involved driving i would never bother.

Yes, but the odds of finding a job which will allow you to justify expensive push bikes whilst living in Peebles is slim.

I can ride from my door in Wokingham. Doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate having five or six options within 30min’s drive, and Surrey hills and Aston Hill within an hour, and S.Wales in 2 hours.

Similarly, living somewhere like Glossop you’d have the Peaks on your doorstep for a few rides a week, but could be in the Lakes for breakfast on saturday without even having to get up early and have an ace weekends riding.

If I rode from my door four times a week I’d be bored by March.

mrmo

If I rode from my door four times a week I’d be bored by March.

then your not in the best place, i used to ride from my door 7 days a week and would still find new trails to ride.

So on the basis of what i am reading the best place is Stroud. just off the M4 corridor so lots of jobs, not far from the M5 to go north, Bristol just to the south, Cheltenham and Gloucester just to the north, and Birmingham not a million miles away, FoD few miles away for a bit more variety, M4/M5 for south west, wales etc.

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

Lakes or Aviemore. What is the point of living somewhere that you can get to lots of places only with a long car drive? πŸ˜€ I know that there are no rules here but if there were, being able to jump on the bike and ride epic trails would be mine!

Cheers

Sanny

fontmoss

It’s entirely by whatever criteria you see fit, there are no right or wrong answers.

Except maybe stoke, I don’t think anyone thinks that’s the right answer.

So I have natural trails within 1/2 a mile a trail centre I can ride to (mostly off road) a limestone crag in spitting distance 3 gritstone crags a short walk, yep Gods County anywhere else is well anywhere else πŸ™‚

Subscriber

Sweet, know any good dealers?

πŸ˜€

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

So on the basis of what i am reading the best place is Stroud. just off the M4 corridor so lots of jobs, not far from the M5 to go north, Bristol just to the south, Cheltenham and Gloucester just to the north, and Birmingham not a million miles away, FoD few miles away for a bit more variety, M4/M5 for south west, wales etc.

You’re throwing up Straw men.

No one has suggested living anywhere with no trails. Just places with good trails, and access to more within minutes/hours drive if desired.

mrmo

You’re throwing up Straw men.

No one has suggested living anywhere with no trails. Just places with good trails, and access to more within minutes/hours drive if desired.

not at all, Stroud has some good trails and going by all the other tick boxes, is the best fit.

Local airport has a scheduled service to Isle of man and the channel islands, bristol and birmingham if you want the alps, americas, etc etc. Heathrow is quite an easy journey to. mainline trains to London. M5, etc etc.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

grum – Member
    Um no mrmo. There’s loads of great riding you can do from the door in Hebden. It’s just that you can also do trips further afield when you fancy. One of the main reasons I’m moving is so I don’t have to drive to go mountain hill biking/walking/climbing.
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

FTFY πŸ˜‰

Pieface

In terms of riding on your doorstep then Sheffield is hard to beat, but its a fair way from other places. If Manchester wasn’t so sprawling I’d say there due to its proximity to the Lakes / Wales / Scotland but as its so big you probably have to drive 30 minutes from wherever to be ‘close’ to one of those motorway links. Given it only takes 45 minutes (on a good run) to get from Sheffield to Manchester maybe its not that far away…..

Tod and Hebden beats them all especially Hebden….lots of very technical stuff if you know where to go…the hills around Tod has some great climbing to be done..its amazing and im glad i live in this perfect area. :wink:.. i just ignore the valley bottom alienated scroats…but they soon get flushed away when it floods cos we get quite abit of flooding these days…lol…

postierich

Having lived in various places around England I think I have found the sweet spot Kendal just getting to grips with the locals and they are not a bad bunch Boozers are a bit hit and miss though.Great transport links(West coast mainline and the M6) Dales very close and obvioulsy trails are rideable from the town.Property prices not to bad as long as you do not mind pebble dash.

Happy Rich

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Do we need to factor in how much of the year your house will be underwater?

IvanDobski

Pubs in Kendal are ropey, as are Chinese restaurants, otherwise it’s hard to beat for getting out and about.

grum

One of the main reasons I’m moving is so I don’t have to drive to go hill biking/walking/climbing.
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    FTFY

They might not be big hills near Hebden but they’re bloody steep.

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/MTB_Roots_4_of_6_Going_Alpine_in_the_Pennines_1122.html

And I don’t plan to live on the flood plain.

Never been that wild about Kendal – it’s main quality is it’s nearly in the Lake District.

Here, in the middle of the Peak – one the Dark/White Peak border – bridleways 100 yds from front door – what’s not to like?

Surely only riding from your door counts in this thread..

so Dorking πŸ˜›

Surrey Hills = best and most extensive woodland singletrack in the country…

Plus
    the weather is better
    the girls fitter
    and the beer more fizzy
    you earn more money in the south

IvanDobski

Sorry, is fizzy beer being considered a plus?

And I thought I’d heard it all…

Tom B

Mmmmm fizzy beer…..jeebus Southern types are a different bloomin species!!

Living in Stoke is average at best for mtbing….reasonbly close to the Peaks and Cannuck are the best bits. For the rest of life, it’s an utter shit hole and I can’t wait to move away!

philfive

Lancashire

i love a touchy northener..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Best place to live for mtbing in UK?’ is closed to new replies.