Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best place to buy TV and PVR
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

As above really. I thinking about a new 42″ TV and a Freesat PVR so where is the best place to buy? Obviously want a good deal, but happy to pay a few extra £ to find somewhere with good service that will help if anything goes wrong or I have any problems.

Looking for both good online places and any real shops in Scotland

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Humax direct for the PVR. Genuinely great service. Some of their cheap stuff is “refurb” – usually returned from Comet ex display etc. As good as new and pretty cheap. Usually come with extended warranty and backup direct – routine backup is superb.

I havent bought a tv in years so cant comment.

Jolsa

Was close to buying a Samsung Freesat PVR from Richer Sounds (cheapest taking into account cashback from Samsung), however finding out about many owners’ issues ended up getting a grade A (refurb) Humax Foxsat-HDR from Humax Direct for £175.

Worth keeping an eye out on HUKD for best prices, plus the chaps on that forum will usually say soon enough if there’s a better deal that incorporates a better warranty, or buying from someone with better customer service.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thekingisdead
    Free Member

John Lewis IMO – 5 yr warranty as standard.

Beware TV’s from Richer Sounds. I was about to buy a Samsung UE40D5520 from them, this years model blah blah. Only to be told at the last minute it wasn’t full O.E spec (50 hz not 100hz). £24 extra and got the “proper” version from elsewhere.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I was thinking about John Lewis as the 5 year warranty appeals, or Amazon which is my default place to buy stuff

Jolsa, I hadn’t heard that about the Samsung PVR’s. It’s the SMT 7800 that I was going for as it has just trumped the Humax as What Hi-Fi’s best product in the category.

Was it the early Samsungs that had the problems – the early ones had software bugs that I think are now sorted?

RustySpanner

Best place to buy TV and PVR

Why not combine the two and get a TVR?
    Far more fun 🙂

defydude
    Free Member

Why not combine the two and have somewhere to live?

Too subtle?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yeah, thanks guys that makes everything so much easier 🙂

Sorry defydude, but Rustyspanner wins todays prize for unhelpful but amusing comment

Jolsa

Yeah the Samsung SMT-S7800. Was looking at it a couple of months back so they may have fixed the issues. Would consult latest user comments on Amazon, Digital Spy etc. just to be sure though – it was hearing these comments that put me off after being so set on it from reviews.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best place to buy TV and PVR’ is closed to new replies.