Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best place to buy Thule
  • Need a new Thule roof rack for my BMW, anyone know of the best place online to purchase a full set. Any place with offers etc.

clunker

I have used http://www.roofbox.co.uk/?campaign=thule_cycle_carriers&gclid=CIC1h7bYybECFWJItAodbDcA4w on a number of occasions and had a very good level of service.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Google skidrive or something like that. I got mine off there – worked out loads cheaper at the time./

Muke
    Free Member

Have heard people speak of http://www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-bars/ but not tried them myself.

or

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/Thule

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have just bought some thule wingbars from roofracks.co.uk – they are also snowchains.co.uk.

£139 – I could really see anywhere cheaper.

Ordered yesterday and dispatched already via Fedex.

Also ordered a couple of Thule Proride 591s bike racks from Amazon to go on them – £50.35 each and free delivery (prime) – which seems by far the cheapest.

I don’t think getting a package from roofracks or roofbox was as cheap.

The Buzz Rack cycle rack looks interesting but obviously not lockable:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bargains-sale-clearance/bargains-bikeracks-returns.php

I didn’t go for a fork mount as some have limitations on carbon forks, or carbon forks with metal dropouts.

Cougar

+n for Roofbox. I really should be on commission.

Jamie
    Free Member

I used skidrive, and they were cheapest at the time.

Bucko

I got mine from http://www.skidrive.co.uk/ a couple years ago. They were the best deal at the time and delivery was quick

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Just to add a wildcard – missus’es bmw dealer was miles cheaper for the aero bars / legs than thule / anywhere. And I mean miles.

However the carriers (951??) way cheaper from roofbox above, but needed adapters (£7 each iirc) to fit the aero bars.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

On skidrive I could see the thule wingbars – which apparently make a shed load less noise than the aero bars.

Didn’t look that cheap either…

roofbox are 79.95 for the 591 proride carriers compared to 50.35 on amazon…

or do you want fork mount?

Got some 591 carriers and a 561 so was just after the roof bars. Will check out the options tonight you have all suggested, cheers for your help guys

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

FWIW, there are a few decent sellers on ebay, I bought mine for my Clio from a Renault dealer and they were cheaper than any other online shop.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the whispbars on roofbox look interesting as well – nice low profile and very quite with little or no effect on fuel consumption if you leave them on, it seems.

Hopefully the thule wingbars will be as good, looks like they have had to do them to compete.

Cougar

Last time I left wispabars on my roof, they melted. Chocolate everywhere.

Coat please.

konabunny
    Free Member

Second hand on eBay or Gumtree, buy the adapters new?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i went to my local halfords armed with red lazer app on my iphone, picked the stuff i needed, scanned it and got them to price match it all against the best online prices. no waiting for delivery and got the best price. i’d do that. 🙂

Theflatboy I’ve never heard of that app!! Will have to check it out. The cheapest I can find on all the sites is £155 for the whole kit and the new bars.

stu1972
    Free Member

Just rigged out the golf:

3x 591 ProRides – £171 delivered from a Ford dealer on eBay!
    Thule 969 Wingbars – £69 delivered – Thule dealer on eBay
    Thule 1323 fitting kit – £25 from Tesco direct with free store delivery
    Thule 754 foot pack & locks – £48 delivered – eBay (as new)

£313 for a complete system is a bloody good price IMO

Shop about and be careful about 591 ProRides. The latest models which I got have a higher weight & tyre width capacity over the older versions.

stu1972
    Free Member

Oh and make sure you cut/drill your wingbar rubbers right first time as replacements are £19.99 each. Ouch.

In hindsight I actually wish I’d went for aero bars instead of the wingbars as the ProRides have to fit in the t-slots of the wingbars which means the rubber strip either has to be cut or drilled to allow clearance for the 6mm studs that secure the carriers.

With the aero bar the ProRides clamp to them via a u-shaped clamp. Obviously it would be a lot quicker to remove carriers on these bars.

Oh well

Cougar

With the aero bar the ProRides clamp to them via a u-shaped clamp

No they don’t. Aerobars use the T-track slots, it’s the old square bars which use clamps.

If you mis-cut the rubber strips on Aerobars, there’s nothing to say they all have to be one piece; you can just pull them out and butt them back together again. I had to re-cut mine when replacing bike carriers (damaged during a theft) with a different model.

Dunno about the Wingbars though. Drilling?

stu1972
    Free Member

Sorry, didn’t realise that. I thought the universal clamps could fit the aero bars as well.
    Also didn’t realise that you can’t lock the ends of the wingbars either, that’s another reason I went down the aerobar route.

Aye, I ended up drilling my wingbar rubbers so they have permanent holes in them for the t-slots.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best place to buy Thule’ is closed to new replies.