Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best place Right Now to get a Wheel Trued in Manchester?
  • Duggan

I expect I know most of the local bike shops in Manchester but wondering if anyone has any news lately on a mechanic or LBS that are turning things around relatively quickly?

Need a wheel truing but last time I spoke to any LBSs in the middle of summer they were quoting crazy-long wait times for work. In fairness I think the government repair voucher scheme was in full swing and every man and his dog was buying a bike back then.

Wondering if things are back to normal in general or if anyone knows of a shop that will turn small jobs around quickly?

I’m in south Manchester but willing to drive, and work in the city centre.

I’ll likely have plenty more work for them in the future but it’s literally just a single wheel needs truing at the moment.

binman

Cheshire Cycles (in Warrington) have always been good for me, worth giving them a ring. Easy to get to off the M6/56 junction.

BigJohn

Your kitchen with a Spokey. It’s surprisingly easy.

Or Halfords.

nickc

Ken Fosters in Chorlton will probs be able to sort you our pretty quickly

Stainypants

Chris at Bespoked in Macclesfield is highly regarded.

acidchunks

Don’t know about turn around time but round my way (Urmston) That Tiny Bike Shop and Manchester Cycle exchange are both well regarded and do good work.

bikegran3

Threadgolds, Hollyhedge Road, Wythenshawe, always had excellent service, at the moment he is open for Takein/Collect 10-3 Tues, Thurs, Sat, unless exceptionally busy or got to wait for a part its take it one of days & collect next open day

nickjb
    Free Member

Buy a spoke key, watch a couple of YouTube videos and have a go. Its not too tricky if you take your time and do small changes. Its a nice skill to have

Duggan

Thanks All.

By way of update pop-up bikes on Corporation St in Manchester said they will do a same day turnaround for a single wheel true and they are open 7.30am to 7.30pm so its booked in there tomorrow.

I’ll bear the recommendations above in mind though for future work as many of them will be nearer to my actual house rather than work.

Buy a spoke key, watch a couple of YouTube videos and have a go. Its not too tricky if you take your time and do small changes. Its a nice skill to have

I am intrigued by this, I always filed it under a “mystery dark art” sort of job. Can it be done by eye without a jig/vice though?

nickjb
    Free Member

Can it be done by eye without a jig/vice though?

Pretty easily. You have a jig already. Just turn the bike upsidedown. You can add a marker to make it easier. A zip tie will do, or a pencil held onto the frame/fork with an elastic band. Just move this so it is just touching the rim then spin the wheel to find the high/low spots. Tweak it, then spin again.

Here is the pencil trick. They have added an Allen key for eccentricity but you only need that if building from scratch. No need to take the tyre off either for a small buckle

Or a zip tie

Duggan

That is brilliant, thank you so much. Might give it a go next time especially as often I’m fairly sure the problem is just one or two weak spokes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best place Right Now to get a Wheel Trued in Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.