Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Best Place in UK for a weeks holiday of some mountainous XC Biking?
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

Any Recommendations.
    High Alltitude preferrably not waymarked trails for a weeks trip this year 🙂

br
    Free Member

West Highland Way and then continue through Knoydart up to Ullapool?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Norwich.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lakes but it’s crap up here really

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Norwich is the worst thing to ever come out of the U.K !
    Might have to look into that west highland way!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Have done the corrieyairack,was challenging ad pilons ruined it slightly but what an incredible desent, possibly best days biking I’ve ever done

jedi

thetford

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

lakes was jolly good for the few days i was up there. get the vertebrae book on the lakes too. got it from amazon for a tenner – so very worth it

fergal
    Free Member

Skye, AWESOME!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Lincoln for some urban downhill action.

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah The way, not sure about the Inversnaid section though, but if you catch the ferry, have you sent it, or just being a wimp.

heuer27
    Free Member

The WHW is only really worth doing from Crainlarich onwards. Think a bit more northerly around Aviemore.There’s some great wild rides around there and some decent apres ride entertainment as well.
    I was up past Ullapool last week with the bike and it was properly hardcore on some of the trails we rode, and eventually pushed, due to a series of punctures and lack of spare tubes. 4 punctures in about an hour of riding on one ride.
    I had not had a puncture in the previous 2 years on my local trails.
    If you think its more like the Alps without the chair lifts and prepare your bike for that, then you will have a great time.

ton

big 7 day offroad circular route from fort bill or inverness

crofts2007
    Free Member

Best thing out of Norwich is :-
    A47?
    A11?
    A140?
    Other roads?

brooess
    Free Member

I would have thought Scotland for proper wilderness stuff. Torridon looks good.

Lakes has so many classic, proper mountain day rides that I can’t imagine you’d have a bad week up there. Well served for shops for spares too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

you can do a lot better than the WHW, Plenty of riding in scotland

summittoppler
    Free Member

We’ve got some pretty good mountain biking in North Wales. And no I don’t mean the usual trail center stuff, I mean mountains such as the Carneddau range (6 summits), Siabod, Snowdon and all the stuff in the valleys as well.
    But Scotland is good 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

mountains such as the Carneddau range (6 summits), Siabod

Got links to any routes?

🙂

singletracksurfer

welsh c2c for me this year 🙂
    scotland is always a winner. c2c or cairgorms.

or a bit of a tour. Lots of ideas here http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/UK-Breaks-with-Bikes-A5-size.html

singletracksurfer

l

chakaping
    Free Member

To the OP, I’d choose the Lakes myself just because of the extensive and varied bridleway network there.

And the scenery’s not bad either of course.

Sanny
    Free Member

Lakes or Aviemore / Cairngorms. Torridon is ok but not really enough for a week to be honest. Just back from 10 days in Aviemore – you will not get bored of the riding there. Plus you can ride all the big routes from the door.

Skye? Ha! Ha! Ha! The OP wanted altitude – you won’t get that in Skye unless you like to carry your bike and scare the pants off you in the process.

summittoppler
    Free Member

mountains such as the Carneddau range (6 summits), Siabod

Got links to any routes?

Got a few maps and pics on my photobucket
    http://s403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/summittoppler/

enjoy

chakaping
    Free Member

ta, have saved link and will investigate prior to next trip Welshside

TheBrick
    Free Member

Norwich is gay! The entire city!

Waderider
    Free Member

First answer is woollier than a very woolly thing 🙄

Ratagan-Montrose C2C easily fits into a week, if you’re based on one spot Cairngorms is the best bet. I prefer Braemar/Ballater as a base rather than Aviemore. That’s a reflection on Aviemore itself rather than the access it provides to trails though. Kingussie and Newtonmore make good bases if you want to split days between ‘Gorms and the west routes (like the Corrieyairack).

The WHW is overrated, and doesn’t stack up well compared to other Scottish mountain routes.

trailmonkey

depends where you’re based I guess.

for me scotland’s a non starter because it’s so far away (easier to get to france or spain), expensive and the weather is just too grim.

lakes.

grum
    Free Member

The lakes has so much stuff packed into a small area. There’s probably better riding in Scotland but it seems a lot more spread out to me.

Waderider
    Free Member

Trailmonkey, the lakes are far wetter and busier than the ‘Gorms, which lie in the rain shadow of the west coast of Scotland for much of the year. The Lakes are expensive because they are 100% geared up for tourism. In Scotland if you are experienced and know the bothies etc. you can do a weeks mountain bike touring for £100. Not everyone will want to do that right enough, but your response is definitely personal prejudice.

(Just checked, Borrowdale 3300mm precipitation per annum, Braemar 912mm)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do a ‘loop of Ben Nevis’, 64 miles, you can bothy out & only about 3 or 4 miles of tarmac.

summittoppler
    Free Member

Chakaping,

will investigate prior to next trip Welshside

When you come over to North Wales try http://www.mbnw.co.uk as well

BigJohn

Stay at a pub or YHA in Hawkshead.

trailmonkey

but your response is definitely personal prejudice.

no, its based on the fact that scotland is a very long way away from me, expensive to get to and likely to be heaving it down when i get there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Carneddau range (6 summits), Siabod

That’s hardly biking, is it? It’s hike-a-bike at best. And yes I have done them, one with a bike!

Lakes is probably your best bet for the most trails at the highest altitude – for anywhere south of the Border.

EDIT: but as TJ says below, don’t go to the Lakes if you think Scotland is too wet 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trailmonkey -Have you ever been to Scotland? As above – it rains less than in the lakes over much of it.

trailmonkey

yup – it rained – a lot, and it was cold.

i’d have bought a jumper but i’d spent all my money getting there.

i’ve also got drenched in the lakes but at least it was vaguely warm.

anyway, said what i think, disagree if you like, i’m sure the op will draw their own conclusions.

summittoppler
    Free Member

That’s hardly biking, is it? It’s hike-a-bike at best.

Well, each to their own but I’ve found it very enjoyable and rewarding every time I’ve been. And some of it may be hike-a-bike but when you want altitude xc biking with stunning views thats usually the norm 😕

trailmonkey

That’s hardly biking, is it? It’s hike-a-bike at best.

ime all the best riding i’ve done in england involves a degree of walking/carrying your bike to get to the good bits.

molgrips
    Free Member

For my money there is much better biking that is actually biking, not a good hill walk spoiled by having to carry a bike 🙂

Some of the Welsh mountains have decent trails on them. Like Snowdon for instance, and Cadair Idris I believe (although never done it).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Aberdeenshire. Loads of great riding, decent weather considering how far over the border it is and it’s miles from Norwich.

(although when Nowich left the UK has escaped me)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Best Place in UK for a weeks holiday of some mountainous XC Biking?’ is closed to new replies.