• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Limy.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Best place for Spokes
  • Limy
    Free Member

Hi where are people buying spokes from? I want to have a go at building a couple of mtb wheels.

loddrik
    Free Member

Best place for Spokes

Between the hub and the rim. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bike shops, unless you want wooden ones then a carpenter.

johnners
    Free Member

Sdeals are pretty competitive ime, avoid CRC and sjs unless you’ve money to burn!

CraigW
    Free Member

Rosebikes have good prices for DT Swiss spokes.

willyboy
    Free Member

lbs or ebay

mintimperial

eBay

goodgrief
    Free Member

JRA ended up being the best for cheap sapim spokes early this year.

hopkinsgm
    njee20
    Free Member

Rose Bikes or one of the other German shops, forget who I used when Rose didn’t do black Revolutions.

STATO
    Free Member

Bike-discount do good prices on DT, tho bear in mind the black ones tend to come with Alu nips these days for some reason.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you know what kind do of spokes you want?

Cheezpleez

I’ve used sdeals.com and cyclebasket.com in the past with good prices and service

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve used sdeals.com and cyclebasket.com in the past with good prices and service

+1

njee20
    Free Member

tho bear in mind the black ones tend to come with Alu nips these days for some reason.

Black DT spokes have always come with alu nips. Seems daft, we used to have literally hundreds of boxes of them, whilst we had to buy brass ones in.

patriotpro
    Free Member

goodgrief – Member
    JRA ended up being the best for cheap sapim spokes early this year.

^Just Riding Along^

Can vouch for JRA also.

Limy
    Free Member

Thanks. After looking around i think will get some DT Revolutions. People say the Brass nipples are better but any reason shouldnt use Alu? The hope hoops ive been using for years come with Alu nipples and have always been fine.

njee20
    Free Member

Alu weigh less.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Alloy nipples are easy enough to build with but if you ever have to retension the wheel, they are much more likely to be furred up/seized in my experience.
    Unless the weight is a really important factor, for your first wheel builds alloy is not worth the weight saving, brass will be easier to sort out if you build a ‘friday afternoon’ wheel. Fwiw i have seen cracked/rounded nipples in both brass and alloy.

Limy
    Free Member

Ok understood. Its a DH bike so not particularly bothered about the weight saving from nipples. From what i can see they don’t cost much so will get some brass as well.

STATO
    Free Member

DH wheel, go for DT comps not revs. Bit more robust and will build a stiffer wheel.

Ive built a few DH wheels with Comps, they cope well with broken spokes and dented and buckled rims. Revs always seemed a bit light for that sort of abuse (tho i have no experience so should prob shut up.)

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Je james cycles sell halo spokes for 20p a pop, built a few wheels with then and have been fine. The threads are a little rough tho so you want to use a little oil on the threads when building them up.

They come with brass nipples FWIW

goldenwonder
    Free Member

What lengths do you need? As I’ve got some sat here I could do with selling of various lengths

STATO
    Free Member

hypnotoad – I’d assume they were plain gauge not butted, rrp on PG is only 25p each, butted are 75p.

EDIT: and the black ones come with black brass nipples too.

Limy
    Free Member

Great thanks for the advice. DT Comps are cheaper than Revs to but will look at the Halo ones.

Think its 260mm i need but will check this evening.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Best place for Spokes’ is closed to new replies.