Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best option for posting wheels, frames, etc?
  • Shackleton

I’m having a bit of a clear out and will hopefully need to post a selection of wheels, a suspension fork and a frame. Royal mail will be extortionate for the value of what is being sent just due to their bulk.

Are there any other options that folk would recommend?

Cheers,

S

slackboy

Wheels and fork will fill fine via parcel force for around £10.

I’ve sent frames parcel force too but it’s a bit of an effort to get the frame box within their dimensions.

Also find that parcel force prices are better direct as they nearly always have a 20% off code.

The usual answer for bigger stuff is paisley freight

Tracey

I’ve sold loads of stuff recently from full bikes to small stuff.
    Always use Parcelforce Express 48 or for the small stuff Royal Mail signed for. I think the Royal Mail has a minimum charge of £4.10
    You can get a free over the counter discount card for Parcel Force which gets you at least 15% off.
    I always factor in the postage and have a good idea what its going to cost me.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

There may be problems getting a bike box… Many shops sold out of bikes long and their empty boxes will be long gone…

Tracey

I have had three bike boxes from the local Halfords during lockdown. They have a big pile of them. Wont even take anything for them

sheck

Last time I did wheels via Parcelforce it cost me circa £30, having estimated and agreed £11 with the buyer. Am about to sell another set and had the same qu… my box comes in 2cm under Hermes max, so was figuring I might get them to collect?

jimmy

Used Hermes recently. Easy and cheap(er). I’m assuming it got there…

mrb123
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Parcel2go app. Hermes seems invariably the cheapest that comes up.

Sent some wheels recently for just over a fiver. Dropped off at local Co-op and delivered in 3 days.

Northwind

Hermes large and light (which weirdly you can’t book through hermes, only parcel2go) is fantastic for frames. For high value stuff I do prefer parcelforce personally, and for whole bikes they tend to be pretty reasonable but hermes kill it on the lighter stuff.

(assuming these are separate sales, why are people talking about bike boxes?)

stevious

Re: getting a bike box.

In my recent experience, shops are finding the cardboard collection is not keeping pace with their cardboard generation so they will be DELIGHTED to give you a box.

beamers

I used Paisley Freight recently to send a bike.

Reasonably priced and a good service.

Shackleton

Cheers all, it is a bike box with a frame, forks and pair of wheels in and 2 other boxes each with 1 or 2 wheels in. Will look at paisley freight.

Ta,S

hotstuff
    Free Member

Send it now is Parcel Force and they’ll do up to 30 kilos for £12. They’ll come and collect or you can print a label and drop it off at any post office. I’ve had caravan awnings, table saws, all sorts, never a problem.

Dickyboy

If you are anywhere near a depot* parcelforce 48 is pretty darn good

*dropping at depot cuts out one link in delivery chain

maccruiskeen

I’ve been using the Parcel2go app. Hermes seems invariably the cheapest that comes up.

Hermes changed their pricing structure recently and it’s not governed more by weight than size making them a good option for bulky light stuff like wheels

maccruiskeen

In my recent experience, shops are finding the cardboard collection is not keeping pace with their cardboard generation so they will be DELIGHTED to give you a box.

it depends how recent your experience is. A few weeks back my LBS was swamped with boxes, more recently they couldn’t get any more new stock in so any surplus boxes were now too precious to give away as they getting used to mail out their display stock

mrb123
    Free Member

Hermes changed their pricing structure recently and it’s not governed more by weight than size making them a good option for bulky light stuff like wheels

Posted 3 minutes ago

Yeah, they seem to have stopped the deal on smaller, lighter stuff though, at least through Parcel2go.
    I sent quite a few things recently for 2 or 3 quid but it now seems the minimum spend is about a fiver.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Just posted a fame, looked at lots of options, ended up with Parcelforce as with insurance it was the most realistic. Sending a 120x20x60 10kg box next day was £12.35, insurance was £34 For a 1k frame – but this was at least £20 less than anyone else we could find.

Fudd
    Free Member

Send it now is Parcel Force and they’ll do up to 30 kilos for £12. They’ll come and collect or you can print a label and drop it off at any post office. I’ve had caravan awnings, table saws, all sorts, never a problem.

I’m in N Ireland and Send it now has always worked out the cheapest for sending large parcels across the water. I bought a frame on Ebay last week and advised the seller the same – the tracking details are showing Hermes and it still hasn’t been collected yet ffs.

rootes1

Interparcel especially for oversize, but light. oddly often ends up going via Hermes, if if Hermes refuse to quote themselves due to the size.

granny_ring

I tend to use Parcel Monkey or Royal Mail for smaller stuff.

You can get a free over the counter discount card for Parcel Force which gets you at least 15% off.

Didn’t know that, is that from all PO’s?

Tracey

I got my card over the counter its the size of a credit card and has a 3 letter code that they type into the machine and it discounts automatically

You can now do it on line

https://send.parcelforce.com/rewards4u

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just posted a fame, looked at lots of options, ended up with Parcelforce as with insurance it was the most realistic. Sending a 120x20x60 10kg box next day was £12.35, insurance was £34 For a 1k frame – but this was at least £20 less than anyone else we could find.

WTAF?

I just sent a box that size and lighter and the best price I could get was £24! Where do you get it that cheap?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best option for posting wheels, frames, etc?’ is closed to new replies.