Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Best (ok, decent) Sheffield curry house?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Need to organise a work social for 12-15 people reasonably central in Sheffield. Anyone have any reccomendations? Ideally moderately priced, and large enough to cope with a big group.

Cheers!

BillMC

Mowgli (!) on the Eccleshall Road is very reasonable, although it’s a mile from the centre, and it’s near the excellent Beer House.

finbar
    Free Member

Ashoka – also on Eccy Road.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Balti King on Broomhill

(this opinion may be more than a little invalidated by being a student at the time)

davros

Akbars at West one ticks the boxes. If it’s still there…

IHN

Balti King on Broomhill

(this opinion may be more than a little invalidated by being a student at the time)

Came here to say not, for the love of God, Balti King.

I too was a student at the time, it was shit then, it is doubtless still shit now.

docrobster
    Free Member

Came here to say Balti king. Beaten to it.

Don’t go to balti king!

We quite like prithi Raj on Eccy rd. Ashoka also has a great reputation. My wife likes urban choola. I’m not so keen.

Central Sheffield I’m not so up to date on. Butlers Balti house will always fit a large group in. Or Seven spices which is handy for the Shakespeare.

johndoh
    Free Member

Lahore (at Wicker Arches) was amazing but that was some time ago. Proper authentic food. No idea if it is still open.

Edit – I am not sure it is there anymore.

finbar
    Free Member

Butlers is too studenty IMO, it’s a step up from Faulty King but barely.

I also don’t rate Urban Choola – I remember leaving hungry thanks to small portions and being served quite cold food (as in temperature rather than spice).

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks all, some good suggestions there.

Superficial
    Free Member

I went to Ashoka recently. It’s good – a bit more upmarket / interesting than the average curry house. Not the sort of place for a chicken Korma, anyway, for better or worse.

Cougar

@Mowgli I’m talking with a local. He’s asked whether you intend to prebook or just want an area you can rock up at.

What possible difference this makes, I do not know at this point.

cp

MA-Ba in cutlery works is nice

Mowgli
    Free Member

Cougar – we’d book in advance. Ashoka looks great, just deciding between that and somewhere slightly cheaper.

jeffl

Went to Akbar’s about a year ago. Wasn’t the best or worst curry I’ve ever had, but perfectly serviceable. Benefit is that it’s large so will fit a group of you in, no problem.

Used to be one on Leopold Square, but that seems to be a Zizzis now.

Pook

Balti King has gone. Went bust.

Ashoka is a rip off for meh curry.

Seven Spices is a bit out of the centre.

Just go Akbar in West One. Easiest of the above suggestions

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Balti King has gone. Went bust.

I feel like this is a worse illustration of the passing of time since I was a student than the demolition of Endcliffe and the sanitisation of most of the Dark Peak into something vaguely rideable 11months of the year.

davros

Shame aaaaagraaahh went, that was decent.

Cougar

Is Agra the place with naans so ridiculous that they have to serve the small ones vertically?

Cougar

I got a reply,

“I would say try The Forum or Kommune. Not all that sure what is bookable in town. “

IHN

I feel like this is a worse illustration of the passing of time since I was a student than the demolition of Endcliffe and the sanitisation of most of the Dark Peak into something vaguely rideable 11months of the year.

RIP Earnshaw Hall 🙁

I can confirm that Bar One still exists though 🙂

scuttler

Ex-‘Sorby Mile High Piss Temple’ here 🤣

matt_outandabout

Lahore (at Wicker Arches) was amazing but that was some time ago. Proper authentic food. No idea if it is still open.

Edit – I am not sure it is there anymore.

^ that.

A neighbour ran the pub opposite, and the plastic tables and somewhat ‘direct’ staff were a distraction from the most genuine curry you could get in Sheffield. We had a meal there once with my family (20+ years living in north and central India), three neighbours of Pakistani heritage and a Sri Lankan friend – and all loved it. The lassi was pure comfort food for me, having a taste since childhood for it…

Another friend was proud to get a Balti King Christmas card…. 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ex-‘Sorby Mile High Piss Temple’ here 🤣

I was on the 14th (top) floor, infact the very top left window in that pic, communal showers, the lift never worked, no phone line or wi-fi, and they still charged £120/week. Someone threw a microwave out the window at the head of facilities.

On balance it’s probably a good thing it got leveled, it always seemed to be 5 minutes away from actual rioting.

scuttler

Me too ‘M-floor’, other side, middle.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Another friend was proud to get a Balti King Christmas card…. 😆

They once printed me something like 400 T-shirts in 2 days to distribute to freshers. He just popped into my office (which was mayhem), introduced himself, asked if there was anything he could do, then ordered us all food and drinks, followed by “anything else?” erm……. 400 freshers week t-shirts?

And that kids is why Freshers week 2009 was sponsored by Balti King,

johni
    Free Member

I was in Halifax Hall in the mid 90s. Balti King sponsored every sports team and Hall team going I think!

sobriety
    Free Member

I still have my Earnshaw Hall 2001/2002 mug, when I was there someone had thoughtfully altered the b of the sign for Sorby Hall so it said “Sorry Hall” which seemed fitting.

For curry, Rajput in Crookes was great when I was there, but it’s a bit out of town and it was a looong time ago now.

docrobster
    Free Member

My now wife lived above Indian chef in crookes for a year early 90s. Had to walk past some sort of wooden outhouse where they kept ingredients of some type or other to get to the entrance to their flat. We didn’t eat there often funnily enough.
    As a student we used to like the Bombay off west st. Once I recall some trouble kicking off and chefs running out the back brandishing sharp stuff. Another time I was woken at the table at the end of the night by one of the staff telling me my taxi was here. I then got in his car and he gave me a lift home. I presumably gave him a fiver or whatever the going rate to walkley was in 1989.

I think if I was the op and presuming it’s not too far to divert to I’d book Ashoka. Only eaten their once and it is pricey but probably a better experience than the usual subjects

I wouldn’t bother with Kommune. Not with a dozen people or more. It’s really noisy and not a great atmosphere. Maybe I’m just old.

IHN

I was in Halifax Hall in the mid 90s. Balti King sponsored every sports team and Hall team going I think!

Yep, I was at Earnshaw at that time too (96/97), they certainly were pretty ubiquitous…

Then we had a house share in Walkley, near to the Springvale Beer Engine, where the Tajak was the local curry house of choice. They weren’t bad to be fair, and I especially liked that for the pissed up rugger buggers who deemed a phaal too wimpy, they offered a special called a ‘phool’ 🙂

jeffl

Kommune is ok but lots of ambient noise as it’s all concrete. Not sure you can book tables and you order food from different vendors so it can arrive at different times. I wouldn’t go there with 10-12 people.

teenrat

My choice would be Butlers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Springvale Beer Engine? I remember the Springvale Tavern, where was the beer engine?

IHN

The Tavern is/was the Beer Engine. To be honest I’m not sure if the name changed, or if it was always officially the Tavern but had a nickname of the Beer Engine.

I’m pretty sure that Beer Engine was it’s official name when I was there though. It was ten years before your time 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

It’s always been the springvale tav as far as I’m concerned

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.