Best Music of the 00's ?

Home Forum Chat Forum Best Music of the 00's ?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Best Music of the 00's ?
  • Sawyer

I think Gorillaz technically started in 99, but they are surely the best music of the 00s. Other than that, DANGERDOOM, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party deserve a mention.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Muse and Biffy Clyro, for me… And then, Million Dead, Hundred Reasons, Frank Turner, 65 Days of Static… Perhaps Hell is For Heroes, that first album’s still stunning. Sigur Ros, Regina Spektor…

Oh, and Andrew WK obviously :mrgreen:

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

There has been loads of amazing music over the last decade but you have to work to find it. You’ll rarely hear it on the radio. Pitchforks recent lists includes some amazing stuff

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7706-the-top-200-albums-of-the-2000s-200-151/

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I don’t have time to write lists, but there’s soooo much good music from the ’00s. More than any previous decade IMO.

What’s the defiing sound though? Probably Coldplay, god help us.

simply_oli_y

As said loads of good music this decade. If after a defining genre.i would say its all about underground going Mainstream. Slam, by pendulum. Was the 1st drum and bass track to be played on daytime radio. Since than there’s been loads of that, dance, dubstep. The list goes on. What gets. Played on the radio has never been so varied.

GlitterGary

Yeah, it probably is Coldplay, God indeed help us.

I really used to keep up to date with new music but realised I always go back to old music with more ‘quality.’ A lot of new albums you listen to you think sound great for the first two listens, and then realise they aren’t too great after all.

One other thing, I’d say that Hip-Hop was the defining sound of the 80’s, yeaaahh boyee. Not of this Gangsta nonsense of course, except NWA.

The 00’s to me seemed like largely a re-hash of music gone by, often watered down versions of exisiting music unfortunately.

thomthumb

real man aluded it to it earlier the 00s was the time of the ‘ipod generation’

my space and the ipod have done more to change the way we listen to music since the invention of the crystal radio. previously subcultures had centred around a music genre, of course there was cross over and fringe genres, however since the release of the ipod the subculture, and the music that traditionally defined these, have been restructured.

Look at the typical ipod playlist and it will cover a vast variety of music, rock, pop, unsigned bands hip hop. a few golden oldies etc etc.

GlitterGary

Ah, so the 00’s is can be defined as ‘The Death of the Album’ era.

Yeah, as great as it is being able to keep as many songs as you want on an mp3 player, it’s too easy to skip to your favourites and not give full records a listen. Double edged sword really?

john_drummer

Btw my list wasn’t necessarily stuff I like, just stuff I could remember off the top of my head

Countzero’s list – most of those acts I may have heard of even if I can’t say I know.

Meanwhile, I wouldn’t recognise Arctic Monkeys or Pigeon Detectives if they slapped me in the face 😉

Anything with albarn, jack white or thom yorke in.

slimtubing

not necessarily my bag but dizzee rascal deserves a bit of credit, as does MIA

ianv

Dont like them but I reckon Dizee Rascal, Calvin Harris and Mark Ronson

The decade seems to be all about recycling other peoples stuff.

thomthumb

The decade seems to be all about recycling other peoples stuff.

i’m not sure thats fair if we’re saying punk for the 70’s, hiphop for the 80’s.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

And Amy Winehouse of course. She’s quite iconic with her beehive hair and drug problems.

Dizzee is a good shout, it’s great the way he came from the grime scene and collaborates with producers from all different genres to make pop hits.

On a more general note, I’m sure I remember people saying this at the end of the ’90s too.

GiantJaunt

CountZero – Member
    Christ, you lot really aren’t paying attention are you

Some good bands there and others I should check out too. Thanks.

mogrim

GiantJaunt – Member
    Seems to be just average solo artists and x factor style stuff about recently and the real music hasn’t come to the fore front. Can anyone restore my faith in modern music and think of some great bands?

Like TJ says, you’re getting old.

I reckon the defining sound of the 80s in the UK was probably Wham and Stock/Aitken/Waterman, rather than rap.

Sawyer

Dizzee is a very good shout, although I prefer the type of stuff he did before the pop stuff, got to admire how he’s crossed genres and been so successful.

john_drummer

I reckon the defining sound of the 80s in the UK was probably Wham and Stock/Aitken/Waterman, rather than rap.

I have to agree there, but also throw in electronica such as Depeche Mode, Soft Cell, Blancmange, Yazoo, Erasure (Vince Clark responsible for 3 of those!) and so on

on the underground side, post-punk, which eventually became goth, was pretty big for a while, certainly in Leeds & Bradford

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Best Music of the 00's ?’ is closed to new replies.