Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Best multi tool, quality and just the bits you need on one ?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Hi all,
    What’s the best multi tool you carry with you ?
    Top quality is a must.

Cheers

Wally

Hexus
    But I carry a Tom18.

creamegg
    Free Member

I dont normally go for crank bros stuff but my multitool has lasted forever. Has everything on there i need, and the chain breaker actually works just as wel as my Park chain breaker. Dosent look bling though, and i dont know if they even make them anymore

Edit: the one i have is a much older less blingy version of the one below

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I’ve had a Crank Bros one for years now after getting it free with a magazine subscription. It’s brilliant, can’t recommend it enough. As well as Allen keys it has torx bits and a chain tool.

Link: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crank-brothers-17-function-multi-tool/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&kpid=5360107068&sku=5360107068&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360107068uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=Accessories&utm_medium=base&utm_content=sdPZpNVN6_dm%7cpcrid%7c%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360107068uk

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Hexus is good, if weighty.

oliverracing

Hexus here, only thing I ever need more than it is pliers (I carry my trusty victorinox spirit when going for longer adventures for that reason)

warpcow
    Free Member

Another vote for the CB (m17 in my case).

shiatostorm
    Free Member

I just bought a cheap one from halfords, has all the major allen key sizes on plus hex key for rotors, flat head and cross head screwdrivers, and a chain tool… Chuck it in the pack and good for any trail side fixes. Even better is it has all the things you need but fraction of the price of others!
    Any major stuff that needs doing I use tools in the garage 🙂

IHN

Separate, quality, tools, just the ones you need, in a 50p pencil case

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Was surprised how well made (all metal) the Kamasa 56082 (given there pro tool range is gash) multi tool is and cheap to boot. Pretty sure it’s a generic design you can get badged by all and sundry.

Can be picked up for a tenner and under.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I use the hexus 2 when I need chain splitter and more variety etc. otherwise I use a Topeak Ratchet Rocket Lite Tool and think its fantastic and eliminates annoyance of trying to undo things almost completely with a multi tool.

shaungero
    Free Member

Fair call there IHN. Not a bad idea just getting quality tools of just the few you need and carry them in a case.

nach
    Free Member

Crank Bros multitool is the only thing I’ve had from them and kept.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Another vote for the Brothers Cranky. Spent a fair bit of time yesterday cutting a single speed chain to the right length to work with 2 different cogs and EBB and the chain tool was simply perfect.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Topeak rocket ratchet with the additional chain tool. Go for the one in the plastic rather than the folding wallet case. Both are top quality, but the bits can fall out the nylon wallet thing.

Northwind

Hexus here too.

bigblackshed

Topeak Hexus 2 or Ratchet Rocket with the chaintool.

(/End Of Thread)

😉

austy
    Free Member

got myself a lezeyne multi tool free with a mag subscription don’t use it very much but has all the right bits, the only trouble was one allen key snapped so had to grind it down and now good as before.

Basil

Crank Bros 19 for me. Had it years, and it works.
    The other tool I carry is Leatherman Squirt. PS4

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MTB – Hexus II
    Road/Gravel bike – Tiny Birzman allen key set, Lezyne Powerlevers and a Specialized top cap chain tool.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hexus is fairly shite; rusts easily and the tyre levers are poor. THe Crank Brothers one is great though.

gren
    Free Member

Tiny little Lezyne V7 and a separate Park Tool Brute chain splitter.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Park Tools 3.2 – includes tyre levers and has a knife blade and pedal spanner and brake pad / piston reset tool.

Northwind

@Davidtaylforth- the tyre levers aren’t great but since most of the competition doesn’t have tyre levers at all, or useless vestigal ones, that’s still a bonus. And that does include the crank bros one you recommend 😕

tetchypete
    Free Member

Topeak Mini 18 for me. Not used much in anger but very nice quality.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Cooltool. /retro.

(Always wanted one)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

@Davidtaylforth- the tyre levers aren’t great but since most of the competition doesn’t have tyre levers at all, or useless vestigal ones, that’s still a bonus. And that does include the crank bros one you recommend

I know, I didn’t expect much from them. Topeak must know they’re shit though; so why include them? That’s just poor design. It also flexed alot of you were trying to undo a pedal with it for example.

Although most of crank brothers design is poor! Except for their multitools, which I reckon a decent.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ratchet Rocket is brilliant. Only really carry it with me if I know I’m going to be making lots of setup adjustments. Use it all the time for pretty much any bit of bike maintenance though.

stooo
    Free Member

I’ve got a lezyne stainless one… well worth getting stainless IMHO. Never regretted it. Stops it rusting up in a damp backpack/saddlebag/pocket/garage

Northwind

davidtaylforth – Member

Topeak must know they’re shit though; so why include them? That’s just poor design.

Not when there’s no real downside, since the levers double as comfort grips for the tool (and the handle for the chain device, and the spoke keys). What would you rather have, the same tool with less functionality?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d rather have a different multi tool! I guess I just never really gelled with my Topeak Hexus; I felt it promised alot but didn’t really deliver.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Crank Bros multitool is the only thing I’ve had from them and kept

Seconded .

takisawa2

Hexus. Latest ones are all plated, so they’ve addressed this apparent rusting issue, although my 10yr old one is still in regular use. Tyre levers are ok, but given it’s about the only multitool that has them, they are a bonus really. I carry a couple of seperate ones though. I think it’s a great tool, likewise anyone who’s borrowed.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

For the last 4 years I’ve been using a Hexus. The tyre levers and chain tools are excellent.

senorj

A cool tool is the one in my main bag.
    The little park one with the chain tool is perfect for me crosser.
    I was bought a topeak alien and the tools are decent quility but it’s too heavy to carry for the amount of times I’ve used it.All of the chain tools have worked well enough when required.
    Don’t want to hex myself but I’ve only used chain tools and a few allen keys ,oh and the cool tool paired up with a seat post, free’d up a freehub once….copyright -Marco @ciclomontana! 🙂

antigee

“stooo – Member
    I’ve got a lezyne stainless one… well worth getting stainless IMHO. Never regretted it. Stops it rusting up in a damp backpack/saddlebag/pocket/garage”

another vote here – got given one as a present since bought a couple more very nicely finished

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got a lezyne stainless one… well worth getting stainless IMHO.

Agree with that too. I carry one of these on the road bike…

And it is a thing of beauty. Gets used very infrequently though, whereas the Ratchet Rocket gets used all the time.

Scapegoat

Separate tools for me… 3, 4, 5 mm Allen keys, couple of tyre levers, a decent chainsplitter and a small cross head for mechs. Add a pair of pliers and you’re good to go.

nickc

Anothe topeak mini18+

gone a bit rusty now, but seen me through a couple scrapes.

edhornby

I’m with scapegoat and IHN

chain splitter, some allen keys and a little screwdriver with driver bits in the handle, some tyre levers (although these aren’t really needed on MTB tyres) and cable ties

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Best multi tool, quality and just the bits you need on one ?’ is closed to new replies.