Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Best mtb county (not country…)
  • nellycrosscheck
    Free Member

1. Cumbria
    2. Yorkshire
    3. Lancashire

Discuss….!!

ononeorange

Obvious answers, because in STW mountain biking doesn’t exist South of Sheffield!

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, definitely the best counties for rocky doubletrack on desolate, bleak moorland.

munrobiker
    Free Member

They sound like the best in England. I’d go-

Perthshire
    Inverness-shire
    Stirlingshire

I’d agree with the statement that mountain biking doesn’t exist south of Sheffield, or thereabouts. Below that it’s just twiddling your bars around in some woods.

bruneep

shite here. I hear the rolling hills of Surrey is where its at

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lakes, for the sheer variety and actual mountains.

ben98
    Free Member

Yorkshire is the best for anything and everything, no arguments.

ononeorange

Munro – exactly the prejudice I was attempting to highlight – thanks for showing it!

jedi

hertfordshire for wooden singletrack 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

exactly the prejudice experience I was attempting to highlight

Eff-tee-eff-yu.

bruneep

No arguments how about freedom to roam?

milky1980
    Free Member

Powys has to be in with a shout for Wales, it takes up half of the Country!! From the Beacons all the way up through the ELan Valley up to Snowdonia. Snowdonia’s only second as it’s so small.
    Maybe Carmarthenshire third?

faustus

For sheer variety of terrain and types of trail:

Cumbria
    Ceredigion
    Dorset

Bit of a westerly bias though!?

eulach

Lakes, for the sheer variety and actual mountains some hills.

I wouldn’t really call those mountains but if it’s the best you’ve got…..
    (Only teasing ‘cos I live an hour away from some alps)

pete68
    Free Member

Somerset is a good one. Exmoor, Quantocks and the Mendips. Lots of variation from Moor tops to steep sided wooded valleys.

jam-bo

Devon, cos its where I live.
    Cornwall is crap though.

core

I was down in Somerset on the weekend (for a rally), it looked brilliant for mountain biking, mile upon mile of byways, bridelways, paths, forests, moors, woodland, you name it, and seemingly open access over much of the areas, no gates on tracks, and bike tracks, jumps etc in a lot of the woods I saw.

jam-bo

somerset stages?

fergal
    Free Member

Northumberland 😀

rocketman
    Free Member

Cannockshire!

core

jam bo – Member

core » I was down in Somerset on the weekend (for a rally), it looked brilliant for mountain biking, mile upon mile of byways, bridelways, paths, forests, moors, woodland, you name it, and seemingly open access over much of the areas, no gates on tracks, and bike tracks, jumps etc in a lot of the woods I saw.

somerset stages?[/quote]

Indeed, some mates were doing it, I should have been, and I have a mate who lives down there so went and stayed with him for a couple of days and watched the rally.

IHN

No-one’s mentioned Derbyshire, which contains most of the Peak District. Odd.

vermillion
    Free Member

CUMBRIA

And for 29er riders,Norfolk

ir_bandito
    Free Member

In my experience and opinion:

Aberdeenshire
    Cumbria
    Northumberland

And I don’t think you can have “Yorkshire” as a single answer, you need to specify which one.

ahwiles
    Free Member

IHN – Member

No-one’s mentioned Derbyshire, which contains most of the Peak District. Odd.

The Peak District has been successfully annexed by The People’s Republic of South Yorkshire. We just don’t like to tell many people.

cokie

Essex 😥

roverpig

Anywhere that doesn’t allow you to ride a bike on most of the interesting trails is a crap area for mountain biking if you ask me. So that rules out all of England I reckon.

Aberdeenshire suits me well, but I’d also give a nod to Ayrshire. You don’t actually want pointy mountains (except to look at) as you can’t ride up them. In fact you can’t ride down lots of them either. So, decent sized but rolling mountains are where it’s at.

munrobiker
    Free Member

As a Yorkshireman I don’t think any of the Yorkshires have as good mountain biking as Derbyshire. Which in turn doesn’t have as good biking as the Lakes, which doesn’t have as good riding as much of the Highland region.

dragon
    Free Member

Not quite a single county but I miss Cardiff / Caerphilly area, better than the Peaks IMO.

Aberdeenshire is great but annoying if you are unable to drive places.

ahwiles
    Free Member

roverpig – Member

Anywhere that doesn’t allow you to ride a bike on most of the interesting trails is a crap area for mountain biking if you ask me. So that rules out all of England I reckon.

well, certainly The Peak District.

tomd
    Free Member

Surely the Scottish Borders should win this hands down

– Open access
    – Variety of terrain: large forests, hills & coastal paths
    – Lots of trails centres, e.g. Glentress with all the extra gnarrrr enduro trails
    – Quiet with few people

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah, but it’s in Scotland.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Cannock is excellent but I don’t know about the rest of Staffordshire – though it is good for road biking.

Haven’t ridden north of there so can’t comment on the Yorkshire is best argument, however from experience I would go with;

Neath
    Snowdonia
    Carmathenshire

very Wales centric I know but that is where I have ridden most on mountainbiking holidays. Need to head to Scotland and the North in general I know.

For the record Surrey Hills are amazing, but haven’t ridden them enough to displace the above yet.

tomd
    Free Member

Yeah, but it’s in Scotland.

It’s a council administrative area, or county.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Essex.

Actually, I retract that.

Suffolk.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Aberdeenshire
    Moray
    Tweeddale
    Yorkshire

The Peak District is great but too crowded. And English access laws are crap compared to Scotland. Scotland is free, empty, gnarly and lumpy – ideal for mountain biking

kraftyone
    Free Member

I’d say somerset is up there – Quantocks, Exmoor & Mendips/Cheddar would keep most people entertained for quite some time.

slidewinder
    Free Member

Cheshire!

notlocal
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing here in Aberdeenshire, stay where you are, save your diesel.

Euro
    Free Member

The suitably named Down gets my vote.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Best mtb county (not country…)’ is closed to new replies.