Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best mousetraps?
  • RustySpanner

None humane.
    Tried those, the little sods just eat all the bait and then escape.
    Only noticable activity is in kitchen.

Food all sealed away and gaps around external pipes to kitchen to be sealed very shortly.

Doors open all day at mo due to building work unfortunately.

Cat is 18 and catches the odd one, but is pretty much blind and just can’t be arsed anymore.
    We live next to a park and a farm, so expect the odd mouse, but seem to be seeing loads this year.

Stopped putting bird food out and have flooded area under decking but still getting activity in the kitchen at night.

All advice welcome.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

i used loads of the “tom and jerry” cheap wooden ones when we had them in the kitchen. Smeared a small bit of nutella on the spike. Worked for us.

SNAP!!, struggle, bang, flap, flappy………..silence.

GrahamS

None of them escaped from the humane live catch ones we used.

They were basically a plastic pipe that rocks forward when they get to the end with the bait, closing the door.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2NGJn8WwYw[/video]

Great simple design and proved very effective for us.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Screwfix metal ones worked for me. With peanut butter

We live in the middle of no where surrounded by farms.

Sealing up the holes and fitting mesh on the inside of the air vents under the floor seems to have stopped em.

Once you caught the, in your humane trap – what did you do with them ? What most folk do , ensure a Nice slow death by taking them out of their natural enviroment miles away from your house ? Very humane

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

The wooden little snappers are best, but spend time getting used to setting them just on the edge of releasing.

Had mice again earlier this year and they were setting the traps off before I’d even got out of the garage. Same as above, I’m next to fields so they always find their way back.

Our cat is useless and just seems to play with them.

GrahamS

Once you caught the, in your humane trap – what did you do with them ?

We took them about a mile away from the house and released them into a hedgerow with good ground cover and plenty of natural food sources.

ensure a Nice slow death by taking them out of their natural enviroment miles away from your house ?

They are field mice. A field seems like a pretty natural environment for them to me. 😀

If they don’t survive, well, nature’s cruel. I gave them a fighting chance.
    They’ll stay in the food chain and provide a tasty snack for an owl.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I throw my dead mice out just before dusk for the owls and red kites. They are always gone by morning.

isitafox
    Free Member

As above with the oldskool wooden ones. I live on a farm and usually the house terrier deals with rats and mice but the odd ones slip past her. Best bait as mentioned previously is peanut butter, nutella or mars bar, gets em every time.

GrahamS

I throw my dead mice out just before dusk for the owls and red kites. They are always gone by morning.

You mean you’re training young birds to come out of their natural environment and take dead prey, which in other circumstances may be poisoned, instead of honing their natural hunting abilities?

Leaving them to a “nice slow death” when this food source dries up??

What kind of monster are you??

😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

As singlespeeddan educated me … Red kites mostly eat carrion.

How ever ill admit i did not know this till after the event 🙂

GrahamS

Meant to say, you can get the Tip-traps from B&Q.
    Can’t remember how much, but pretty cheap. Buy two at least.

Saccades
    Free Member

trip traps are great and you’ll often get 2 mice in there – then I drown the buggers.

jerseychaz

Toolstation Little Nippers – I’m getting at least 2 a day in 2 traps in our loft!

GrahamS

So you spend a bit extra to get live catch traps, specifically so that you can look into their desperate little eyes as the water fills their gasping lungs and death’s cold embrace finally takes them?

That seems like a perfectly sane thing to do. 😯

Personally I’m happy to set them free:

Saccades
    Free Member

I spend extra as I got tired of baiting the back crackers with bacon rind and those little plastic jobbies with built in bait get licked clean around our way.

Serves ’em right for coming in the house.

Drac

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

They are always gone by morning.

Zombie mice?

B and Q £5 for 2. Humane (as in quick) and pre-baited

GrahamS

Hmm.. broken image.. okay I’ll try that again…

Personally I’m happy to set them free:

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best mousetraps?’ is closed to new replies.